SHARK REPORT from the LEDGER

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Gary

SHARK REPORT from the LEDGER

Post by Gary »

Posted Aug. 25, 2014 @ 2:01 pm
Updated Aug 25, 2014 at 2:42 PM

DUXBURY - Swimmers were ordered out of the water Monday afternoon after what appeared to be a great white shark was spotted near the Powder Point Bridge, according to the Duxbury Fire Department.

The Duxbury harbormaster had closed the beach as a State Police helicopter tracked the 26-foot shark, the department said on Twitter. State Police said on Twitter that officials had not confirmed the size or species.

More information will be posted shortly.
W.S. Cape Horn 17 Pro
Johnysmoke

Re: SHARK REPORT from the LEDGER

Post by Johnysmoke »

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/0 ... story.html

Was surfing by myself Sunday evening at the new inlet, not so far away...
Ken R
antispam: No

Re: SHARK REPORT from the LEDGER

Post by Ken R »

OMG!!!
We were coming home from P-town today about 2p.m. in our motor boat we saw a large Coast Guard Ship off of the ocean side of Duxbury Beach and 3 helicopters buzzing around. We thought nothing of it. My wife asked what I thought they were doing. I replied "some type of training". We stopped at Crescent Beach section of Saquish for lunch and a swim. The helicopter buzzed around and finally flew away.
This is the second time this has happened to us, the first time was off Chatham about 5 or 6 years ago and the shark had been sighted les than a mile from where we were swimming.
This is why you should monitor channel 16 on your marine radio anytime you are on the water! I turned mine off moments after I dropped the anchor and never heard a thing.
I've heard there is a few very large lakes in Maine, NH and VT. without Great Whites.
KR