Skeg inaccessible

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

pat
Site Admin

Skeg inaccessible

Post by pat »

I'm having problems with my skeg, and I suspect that the problem is behind the controls. So I got in there today and was a little shocked by what I saw. I simply can't believe that they make the kayaks like this, but I really don't know. From what I can tell, the cable and assembly appear to be permanently fiberglassed and sealed to the hull of the boat.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal? Or was it done by the previous owner?

Before I started, it was covered with some thin foam that was glued to the hull interior. I scraped as much away as I could.

This could explain why I got it for such a good price.

Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Briggsy

Re: Skeg inaccessible

Post by Briggsy »

Hey Pat,
I just checked my Cetus and the skeg control is glassed in like yours but there is a plastic tube coming out of the back with the skeg cord inside. Mine is a cord, not a metal cable. You could email the Kayak Centre of Rhode Island, Wickford.
http://www.kayakcentre.com/
They used to have Impex kayaks
Briggsy
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

When you say "the back", are you referring to the area close to the skeg itself? If it's glassed in, how do they possibly fix issues up there near the control?
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Ken R
antispam: No

Post by Ken R »

On my NDK the control and cable in a tube is glassed back to the rear cockpit bulked. In the day and rear compartments it is just the cable in the sleeve.
KR
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Ok, so maybe this wasn't done by the previous owner.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

I meant the skeg control slider is glassed in and at the rear of that slider assembly is a plastic tube protuding from the glass and the skeg cord is in that tube. I am assuming that with a solid wire skeg control cable you would probably need something more substantial than a thin plastic tube. I have never done any work on the skeg control box but if it was me I'd use a dremel tool or similar to cut it out.
Briggsy
Ken R
antispam: No

Post by Ken R »

Pat, I had a kink in my control cable and replaced it last year. It was an easy job. you can borrow my wire cable cutters if needed.
KR
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I'd like to say that I fixed it, but I believe that "fix" is too strong a word. Let's just say that it's operable again. It's still stiff, and this was causing a section of the cable to buckle. I duct taped that into place, and now I'm back in business.

One thing though is that I have to replace the foam that I scraped away in an attempt to get at the cable controls. Where can I get this, and what is it called? It's about 1/4" thick (maybe less).
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

pat wrote:I'd like to say that I fixed it, but I believe that "fix" is too strong a word. Let's just say that it's operable again. It's still stiff, and this was causing a section of the cable to buckle. I duct taped that into place, and now I'm back in business.

One thing though is that I have to replace the foam that I scraped away in an attempt to get at the cable controls. Where can I get this, and what is it called? It's about 1/4" thick (maybe less).

What size piece do you need ???
Briggsy
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

The piece that I scraped away was approximately 6" by maybe 15". I'll have to re-measure.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

I have some small scraps but nothing near that large. Maybe the whitewater folks can get you some, they're more likely to be "outfitting" boats.
Briggsy