Put in for Harbor Islands

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

alec
antispam: No

Put in for Harbor Islands

Post by alec »

We are going out to spend 2 nights on one of the Harbor Islands and was looking for advice on where to put in. I am mostly concerned about ease of access and a suitable place to leave the car, ideally that it is still there when we return and that we don't cause a coastguard alert!

Weymouth & Hingham look convenient but open to all advice.

Thanks.
cgr

Re: Put in for Harbor Islands

Post by cgr »

You can park at hingham harbor and you can notify hingham police or harbormaster.

It's convenient for slate, grape, or bumpkin.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Boston or Hingham Harbor islands?
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
alec

Post by alec »

Boston Harbor Islands.

Thanks for the advice on Hingham for a launch, it sounds ideal. We will be headed for Peddocks when we go.
norm

Post by norm »

Alec,

There are also a few overnight parking spaces in the parking lot across from Hull High School. Of course, that makes the paddle to Peddocks Island very short. I've used the parking in Hull for camping on Lovells Island. In my case, we wanted to get to the island quickly, unload the boats, set up camp and then go out exploring the outer islands without a heavy load of camping gear in the hatches.

Here is a link to a Google Map pointing out the location of the overnight parking spots at the western end of the parking lot. There is an easy carry from the lot to the water at the end of the sea wall. There was a sign about overnight parking there a few years ago - I didn't notice if it was still there when I parked nearby for the Hull Illumination night July 25th.
https://goo.gl/maps/83HnL

Norm
alec

Post by alec »

Norm,

Great help, we will probably follow in your footsteps (paddle strokes?).

Peddocks was great and we want to explore more of the islands in the future. We had some time to kill waiting for the tide at Hingham so we stopped on Bumpkin on our return - and there was no evidence of anyone camping there. Odd because it is a cute little island.

Anyway, thanks all for your help, we had a good trip.