A short, interesting read.

Post by Doug »

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself." - Amelia Earhart
Ken R
antispam: No

Re: A short, interesting read.

Post by Ken R »

Doug,
There is so much truth in this article. We live in a liability lawsuit world where you sue the manufacturer then you go out and sue the retailor that sold it to the person that was injure by incorrectly using a product that they did not receive certified training to use.
KR
Mark

Post by Mark »

THIS:

"Sea kayaks are essentially a craft to allow access to other activities, like camping, fishing, diving, hunting, photography, wildlife viewing, etc. only to those of us who obsess on it is it an activity to itself. "

See the full post here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

A different spin on Let's Not Take Ourselves So Seriously.

It's only sea kayaking.
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

I read and enjoyed that article too, and thought about re-posting it on facebook. Good to see it here. The whole certification thing leaves me a bit mystified. I get it, for guides and instructors. Other than that...? It was the same deal with the AMC's paddler rating system. Just didn't matter to me.

I also read the one Mark posted (also on facebook, via another sea kayaker friend). Always good to be reminded that we are not at the epicenter of the world. It's just a fun recreational activity.
Chip

Post by Chip »

For me, it's mostly about exploring and socializing.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Chip wrote:For me, it's mostly about exploring the beer selection closest to the take out...

Fixed that for you...

It's pretty easy to make fun of people who take themselves too seriously, but there's always going to be people who are goal oriented and want some way to assess themselves, and I don't think getting good instruction should be frowned upon. The real concern the article should be addressing is the lack of growth in sea kayaking. There's easily 100 rec boats sold for every sea kayak, and people don't really seem to be upgrading anymore. Is it because everyone below the age of 60 is getting a paddle board, or the youngsters are getting into kite boarding or white water paddling or just staying home and playing video games?

If we really wanted to do something about the lack of new paddlers, we should try and introduce a young person to the sport every year (or maybe every other year) and see if they're interested in joining us for the blue plate special post paddle meal.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Johnysmoke wrote:
Chip wrote:For me, it's mostly about exploring the beer selection closest to the take out...

Fixed that for you...

It's pretty easy to make fun of people who take themselves too seriously, but there's always going to be people who are goal oriented and want some way to assess themselves, and I don't think getting good instruction should be frowned upon. The real concern the article should be addressing is the lack of growth in sea kayaking. There's easily 100 rec boats sold for every sea kayak, and people don't really seem to be upgrading anymore. Is it because everyone below the age of 60 is getting a paddle board, or the youngsters are getting into kite boarding or white water paddling or just staying home and playing video games?

If we really wanted to do something about the lack of new paddlers, we should try and introduce a young person to the sport every year (or maybe every other year) and see if they're interested in joining us for the blue plate special post paddle meal.

Thanks John. I am going for my Bud Light 4 certification next week.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
cgr

Post by cgr »

Chip wrote:
Thanks John. I am going for my Bud Light 4 certification next week.

http://www.bostonherald.com/lifestyle/f ... sachusetts
Doug

Post by Doug »

I've probably told this story too many times but, it was a watershed experience for me. I was offering a workshop at the Charleston Festival years ago when a distressed but hopeful participant arrived after we had started. He had been asked to leave another workshop by the workshop leader who claimed the participant's unfeathered paddle was unsuitable. Curious, I asked the would be participant how many years he had been paddling with this "unsuitable" paddle. He said ten years. I made a pact with myself at that moment, never to teach skills in any way that had the faintest whiff of dogma. Yes, as instructors, whether paid or volunteer, we have this wonderful opportunity to promote a sport that truly can appeal to all ages and abilities. Obviously, one of our most important responsibilities is to help folks realize where they are on the skills and experience continuum. Recognizing people's choice in their placement along that continuum will go a lot further to promote the sport than the often ego driven desire to prove what an "expert" we are.
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself." - Amelia Earhart
Azane
antispam: No

Post by Azane »

mmmm. Analysis to paralysis? Could be true for some.
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Someone should do a kayak version. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AIuh1mMKsEs