Windmill point over night parking

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Chip

Windmill point over night parking

Post by Chip »

What are peoples' opinion on parking at windmill point for an overnight campout? Has anyone done it?
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
norm

Re: Windmill point over night parking

Post by norm »

I've done it a few times for camp-outs on the harbor islands, but not in the last couple of years. I don't park near the windmill though, I park at the far end of the municipal parking lot, as far from the windmill as you can get. At that end of the lot, there is(was) a sign that says something about parking overnight being permitted for a few of the parking spaces. I like launching from that end anyway because you are away from the current at the gut and have a few hundred yards to get settled and comfortable in your boat before getting to the rougher water and boat traffic.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Norm, so you're saying that you're not launching into the gut but WILL have to go through it to get to the harbor, right? Or is your location further out on the Boston Harbor side?
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
norm

Post by norm »

Here is an image that should explain exactly where I'm talking about. (Sorry it's so big - no time to resize...) Look for the "Parking" in the picture. It's at the end of the sea wall and there is usually a nice little path out onto the beach from the parking lot. There are homes right across the street, so maybe that makes the cars a little less vulnerable to vandalism compared to the isolated area by the windmill.

Hull_Illumination_Parking.jpg
Hull_Illumination_Parking.jpg (197.51 KiB) Viewed 28491 times
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Thanks, Norm. That definitely clears it up. I wish Google Earth was live so I could see about what time of day the parking starts to fill.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

I launched from the point a few Fridays ago, got there at 8. The lot was full, the parking along the road was full. Everything full. I parked in 2-hour parking and hoped for the best. Was lucky for once.

Kate
Chip

Post by Chip »

Does the commuter boat stop there?
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Kind of sucks they tightened the parking down to a 2 hour limit, probably need a commuter sticker to get around that. Could ask at Jo's Nautical if they'd let you park overnight there. Or maybe the yacht\saltwater club further down might let you park overnight.
I think you can pay for overnight parking at the shipyard, but that's turning into a longer trip.
Great Brewster has some good camping, but also a lot of trash out there.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Thanks John,
I suppose parking at shipyard or Hingham beach is an option.
Where do you land on Great Brewster? Best I can see is the west side? Should I bother getting a permit. I sent an email to DCR but got nothing back.
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Yes the southwest side would be easiest. You need to watch out for the sand bar that runs from Lovell Island to Great Brewster, at lower tides you need to cross closer to Lovell, and that puts you on track to land on the Southwest side. There's a decent sized field with a gazebo and firepit, it's pretty nice but often trashed up. Also a few concrete slabs on the west side near the water you could use to camp on as well.
Regarding the permits my info might be a few years old, but the Rangers always told me they would issue one on the spot, if they saw you. Might be worthwhile to have a little cash on hand just in case.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Too bad Lora didn't still have her house in Weymouth. :-)
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

Hey Chip, A friend and I landed on Great Brewster for lunch one time with a view to hiking up to the picnic table at the top. Be warned the mosquitoes were worse than anything down here in the Everglades, and that was at lunchtime on a hot sunny July or August day out in the full open sunshine. We actually had to run out in the water dragging the kayak behind us before we got in. Just be warned if you plan on camping. Maybe not so bad now as that was 2 years ago.
Briggsy
Rclarke
antispam: No

Post by Rclarke »

Grew up in hull village (near gut),Try James ave if launching during the week. Sat/sun is no problem at Windmill point. James ave is just off Nantasket ave in hull village minutes from the gut. I do several paddles from there about a 10 min paddle to the gut plenty of unrestricted parking and small perrywinkle beach to launch/land. You go left at Hull public library and paddle north towards coast guard station and Peddicks thru the gut. Stay close to shore and your fine. I get to George's in about 40 mins or so
And yes raking at windmill Pemberton Point is tough during the week -Commuter boat and municipal parking enforced not to mention High schoolers parking.
Cheers
Bob .
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Rclarke wrote:Commuter boat and municipal parking enforced not to mention High schoolers parking.

Could you extrapolate on that a bit? If you're not a commuter boat user, are you prohibited from parking there? And what's the deal with the high school lot? Is that also prohibited? Or just likely to be full?
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Rclarke
antispam: No

Post by Rclarke »

Fairly certain its first come first serve on non posted parking m- f. What's left is posted and enforced as municipal parking or 2 hr limit. Thevlarge parking area is fairly full f high kids cars. They started this about a year ago. Also, Remember commuters are going to be early birds Mon thru fri so parking is usually full. All the other spots are posted. Kind of stinks w the 2 hrs limit
Google James Ave (next to library) it has great parking and next to no one parks there. Short easy carry. It Only adds 10 mins of paddling to the gut. Please see earlier post re: James Ave.
Sat or sun your okay but be early to get best parking. I usually park close to boat ramp next tp Pemberton pier off season or very early on sat/sun. Hope this helps. Nice to know the local secrets. Shhhhh
Chip

Post by Chip »

Rclarke wrote:Grew up in hull village (near gut),Try James ave if launching during the week. Sat/sun is no problem at Windmill point. James ave is just off Nantasket ave in hull village minutes from the gut. I do several paddles from there about a 10 min paddle to the gut plenty of unrestricted parking and small perrywinkle beach to launch/land. You go left at Hull public library and paddle north towards coast guard station and Peddicks thru the gut. Stay close to shore and your fine. I get to George's in about 40 mins or so
And yes raking at windmill Pemberton Point is tough during the week -Commuter boat and municipal parking enforced not to mention High schoolers parking.
Cheers
Bob .

Hi Bob,
Is it ok to leave a vehicle there overnight?
Chip

Post by Chip »

Briggsy wrote:Hey Chip, A friend and I landed on Great Brewster for lunch one time with a view to hiking up to the picnic table at the top. Be warned the mosquitoes were worse than anything down here in the Everglades, and that was at lunchtime on a hot sunny July or August day out in the full open sunshine. We actually had to run out in the water dragging the kayak behind us before we got in. Just be warned if you plan on camping. Maybe not so bad now as that was 2 years ago.
Briggsy

Thanks Briggsy. Good info to have.
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

Rclarke wrote:Google James Ave (next to library) it has great parking and next to no one parks there. Short easy carry. It Only adds 10 mins of paddling to the gut. Please see earlier post re: James Ave.
Sat or sun your okay but be early to get best parking. I usually park close to boat ramp next tp Pemberton pier off season or very early on sat/sun. Hope this helps. Nice to know the local secrets. Shhhhh

That's an excellent tip, thank you!