Thursday, June 30 - Hingham Harbor - [CANCELED]

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

pat
Site Admin

Thursday, June 30 - Hingham Harbor - [CANCELED]

Post by pat »

In my old age, I totally forgot that I tried doing this five years ago and got almost no takers then either. I'll try to remember next time. But I wanted to open up the Thursday night slots for people that want to plan a skills session or something.

(btw Nancy, I made the decision to cancel before your recent post, so don't think you had anything to do with this.)

As we dragged our boats out of the black muck of Hingham Harbor near low tide last night, we realized it's time to flip the schedules. During PPR, I brought up an idea I've been wanting to do for years, but it just never happened. So I'm going to try it this coming Thursday.

We're going to do another Hingham harbor trip, but this one will be starting later. I'm thinking butts in boats at maybe 6:30-7:00 (I'll firm up that time soon). Paddle to Abigail Adams Park near Stoddars Neck and the shipyard, and order pizza to be delivered to us there at the launch. Sunset is about 8:30, so we could leave some time after and head back. This would mean it'd be totally dark by time we arrived back at our cars.

Although I expect to encounter no maritime adventure on the way, this is not a rec trip. Depending on the weather, there can be significant chop in Hingham harbor, so you should know basic rescue skills, have a spray skirt and a boat with proper flotation. You should be comfortable paddling 3 mph in textured water. This trip is approximately 8 miles total.

I honestly don't know the pizza joints in this area. If someone has a recommendation for a good place that delivers, please let me know. Google maps shows me that Hingham House of Pizza delivers and has reasonable prices. My plan is to get everyone's order ahead of time, call the order when we're launching and ask that it be delivered at 8:15. Obviously, I'll call the restaurant well ahead of time and make sure they're ok with delivering to a non-address. If a pizza joint doesn't carry food that you're willing to eat, you're certainly welcome to bring your own vittles.

And of course we'll need lights for the trip back. At the absolute minimum, you should have a headlamp. Some small portable lights to hang on your boat might be nice too. Something like this would be really spiffy:

https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Signal-Port ... B00VX0JX5E

Abigail Adams has waste barrels for pizza boxes, but as far as I can tell, they have no sanitation facilities, so go before you leave.

Once we've decided on a pizza joint, I'll post a link to a menu, and I'd like everyone who is signing up to at least make a mental decision on what you want so we're ready to place our order before we launch. Or maybe I'll have everyone just post what they want here.

More details to follow.
Attachments
pizzatrip.jpg
pizzatrip.jpg (66.43 KiB) Viewed 16621 times
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Johnysmoke

Re: Thursday, June 30 - Hingham Harbor - Special Pizza Editi

Post by Johnysmoke »

I like the idea of a later starting time.
So is this a one way jaunt, or a trip from Hingham Harbor to Abigail Adams park and back to Hingham Harbor? Just be aware of the commuter boats going in and out of the shipyard. I know there's a few ramps over there as well, not sure how suitable for groups or if they're public or not.
Not trying to steal your idea, but how about heading to the old sea dog ramp, or the James Ave ramp in Hull and back? Or going to Joe's and getting pizza delivered there and then head back? Not a whole lot of boat traffic in that Hull Bay side, especially if you stick closer to shore.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I was thinking of a round trip.

Abigail Adams has a land-able beach with no boat traffic. Although there are ferries in that area, they tend to be going pretty slow once they get to that point. On the way back in the dark, they'll be pretty much finished for the day.

As far as St. James Ave goes, I think that if folks want to go there, I'd prefer someone else take over the lead, as I'm totally unfamiliar with that location. I've been to Abigail Adams a few times and know that there are public grassy areas to picnic on, as well as trash barrels.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Tortoise
antispam: No

Post by Tortoise »

I think this sounds like great fun. I am supposed to work my 2nd job but let me see if I can't wiggle out of it :)
Chip

Post by Chip »

I like the idea Pat.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Tortoise
antispam: No

Post by Tortoise »

Hi Pat

I can't wiggle out of work so I will miss the fun. Hopefully this will become an annual event :) have fun!
Johnysmoke

Re: Thursday, June 30 - Hingham Harbor - [CANCELED]

Post by Johnysmoke »

Sorry man, sounded like a fun trip.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Yeah, I thought so. I've been itching to go on a night paddle for some time.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

If you want to do a Hull " circumnavigation " Thursday night I'm game, although need to clear it with the boss. Start on the beach and paddle around to the municipal parking lot by the big hotel on the opposite side, then go get the cars pack and leave. High tide is around 8-8:30ish so will get a little ride going through. It's around 8.5 miles so would take about 2 and a half hours, probably going to get a little help from the tide.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Thanks, John. I actually have something else in the works for Thursday. Not sure yet, but maybe.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Come on Pat, what could be more enjoyable then shooting the gut at dusk? Could grab some subs at Victorias and stop on Bumpkin or somewhere else?