Moderator: Chip

pat
Site Admin

Google Earth

Post by pat »

Oh...
my...
god.

Leave it to Google to do something this unbelievably cool.

http://earth.google.com (need to download a 10-meg program)

Some time ago, I found a satellite imaging subscription service that was terrific if you don't mind the $500/year subscription fee. They have a 1-week free trial, and every time I want to grab a new image, I have to reformat a spare disk drive, load windows, and get a new free trial membership.

"Google Earth", from what I can see, is the exact same software. As a matter of fact, I just went to the subscription service's website (keyhole.com), and it forwards to earth.google.com. So Google has apparently bought them and is giving away the service for free. How can you not absolutely LOVE this company.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Ron

Post by Ron »

Pat,

Definitely a cool site.
Image P&H Cetus HV
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I don't know if anyone else uses Google Earth, but I think they've recently updated some of their maps, and they've made a mess out of Boston Harbor. Everything is in the right place, but it looks like a patchwork quilt.

Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
chpaton

How about Map Tech

Post by chpaton »

I'm somewhat reluctant to download more software from somebody who's trying to make a profit by having you view ads on their site(s). For topo maps, navigational charts AND airial photos, I've used MapTech for a couple of years - it doesn't require you to download additional software, you just go to their web site. Only drawback is their photos are B&W.

http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepage/i ... N=33817110
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

FWIW, there's absolutely no advertising in the downloaded program.

I've discovered that the changes in Boston Harbor are due to a new database of maps the they recently incorporated. The resolution in Boston is much higher than before.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com