Sat 8/19 Morning Paddle

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Dave

Sat 8/19 Morning Paddle

Post by Dave »

The boat still floats!

Next Saturday Allison and I are thinking of a Quincy Bay paddle. Wollaston, Hangman's, Peddocks, Rainsford then mabe Long or Moon and home. Tide is high @ 08:41, but that's not going to happen. So, around ten. If anyone would like to join us we'd love some company!

If there is any interest we can firm up the details later in the week.
Last edited by Dave on Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chpaton

Sat or Sun?

Post by chpaton »

Saturday the 19th or Sunday the 20th???
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi Dave.

How long is the paddle (approx). And what's the skill level?

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
Dave

Sat 8/19

Post by Dave »

Whoops, thats Satuday the 19th.

Not sure about formal skill levels. I'm sure several other folks here could assign the trip a numerical level. You would want to be comfortable crossing about a mile of open water, have a good wet exit and self and assisted rescue, and be comfortable in rollers up to 2 feet and swells up to three or four feet. If it is rough or windy we will probably shorten the trip, mabe just paddle over to Nut and come back in along the beach. (The swells are kind of fun.) Not sure if my technical language is correct. You have to cross a pretty busy shipping lane, and you can come accross a wake or two, like the fast ferry, that can get to be pretty big.

This would be a pretty informal paddle, if some folks have had enough they could head back in at Hangmans or Rainsford. My wife and I are not excactly speed demons either, so it should be a pretty relaxed pace. We last did this one right before I went away, it is a fun trip I think.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Bea,

Just like in the post about Monomoy, one needs to access their skill level for the trip. I know you have been to the skill sessions at Hanson, (I've seen the bruises), but have you been in swells like Dave describes? It may or may not happen. On the Thursday nights in Hingham, have you gone to Bumkin, Slate, and Grape or have you stayed inside the Harbor?

Dave's trip will be outside the protection of Hull, so even if you have been to the above named islands, this trip may be more testing. Crossing channels will require at least 20-30 minutes of hard paddling in order to get out of the way of boats and their wakes, and it may be against the wind. Dave is also looking at around 10 miles.

There is an old post of this trip that Dave wants to make (on the 6th page of the message forum, General Discussion, titled Boston Harbor 8/20- Hangman's, Peddock's, Rainsford). Birdseye, Dave and I made it last year, an it was the most turbulent trip I have made to that point. I have to admit it to you (don't tell any one else), but at times I was concerned that I might need my self-rescue skills.

For this trip, you will need a good strong forward stroke, good bracing skills, able to handle the swells and possible wind. The only way one can test onself is go try it, but you have to ask yourself if this is doable today or do I need to try something a bit smaller.

Each trip I take, I hope to try something I haven't done, whether it is harder conditions, longer paddles, or sustained forward strokes.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Todd wrote:Bea, Birdseye, Dave and I made it last year, an it was the most turbulent trip I have made to that point. I have to admit it to you (don't tell any one else), but at times I was concerned that I might need my self-rescue skills..

Hey wait a minute! Why would you need your self rescue skills when Dave and I were with you. I know we give you a hard time ever so often but we wouldn't make you rescue youself.

Besides, I thought you did good on that trip. The paddle from Peddocks to Rainsford was a little tough and the water got a little dicey on the last leg but I don't remember it being too bad. Are we talking about the same trip??

Anyway, it all depends on the weather. This could be a fairly easy trip or a bear, it all depends on what happens that day and how far you have to go..

I'm considering going but have to look at my other options that weekend.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Todd

Post by Todd »

Birdseye said
Hey wait a minute! Why would you need your self rescue skills when Dave and I were with you. I know we give you a hard time ever so often but we wouldn't make you rescue youself.

I know Dave would take care of me. :wink:

Take a look at the trip report, I have all the confidence in you and Dave. I thought the last leg, from Rainsford to Tony's Clam Shop was the hardest. Black clouds in front of us, swells coming from behind and to the side, so I wasn't prepared for the brace. It was the toughest outing I had been on at the time. Now look at me, BRING IT ON :shock:

I am also looking into this trip with Dave and Alison. I know the conditions can be benign, but I also don't want anyone to get into conditions that they aren't ready for. I don't doubt anyone's desire to test themselves, and I know people want to go further with their adventures, but I don't want anyone to be unprepared. Plus, I know Bea's husband and 2 beautiful daughters, and I wouldn't want anything to happen to her and then have them come looking for me. They know where I live.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Dave

Rough Conditions

Post by Dave »

The trip to Hangman's is fairly sheltered, it is between Squantum and Houghes Neck. You generally don't get hit with any "texture" until you make the jump from Hangman's to Peddocks, so as I mentioned, if it looks rough, we can head over to Nutt and just have a nice quiete paddle around Houghes Neck and back to the Clam Shack. We'll leave the plans open to adjustment.

My experience has been that the stretch between Peddocks and Rainsford can be the most daunting, but I think it can be different every day of the week. I certainly don't want anyone to get beyond there comfort zone. This will only be my 5th time out this year, so I'm not necesarily up for anything too intense myself.

Its only Tuesday, we'll see how things shape up. Allison is very interested in meeting one of the illusive Turkey women.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi guys.

Thank you Todd for being such a guardian angel!

I think I'll be OK on the trip. I survided the Wild Turkey Thursday night paddle around Bumpkin in my old 12 foot Walden Odessy. Even open water without a spray skirt was fine....good luck?

So I think I am good to go, and hope to join you. Looking forward to meet other female turkeys (hens?)

Bea
Bea
chpaton

Quincy Bay

Post by chpaton »

Below is an aerial photo with the Dave's approximate proposed route plotted out. It measures about 8.6 miles in straight lines (your mileage may vary).

Conditions in Quincy Bay are usually fairly benign when the wind is calm with chop and swells building with the wind. Boat wakes provide most of the action.

On a calm day a beginner could handle this route, on a typical day an advanced beginner comfortable with a little texture, a little wind and the distance wouldn't have a problem.

Last edited by chpaton on Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Craig
Heritage Tandem - Mango
Todd

Post by Todd »

I am going to see if I can join Dave and the Hens. I will have more information on Wednesday.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Todd

Post by Todd »

I not able to make this one, I'll be in Vermont visiting the grandson. But I'm taking my kayak to VT and they have their canoe so we will be going to the Green Mt. Reservoir. This is a place that the kayaking group from RI (Wampanoags?) at the Expo had trips scheduled at. You paddle to a camping spot. Not as much excitement as the trip Dave has planned, but the it will Benjamin's first time in a kayak. A future Wild Turkey.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

I don't think I'll be making this one either. My uncle's cousin's nephew's brother-in-law's dog just had a litter and we're going to watch them play in a field of daisys. :wink:
Dave

Take pictures.

Post by Dave »

Ok then, you guys have fun.

We're still planning on paddling weather permiting. It looks like it might be raining, but we'll take it as it comes.

So Nelson, are you really going to watch puppies? Guess I won't see that roll this weekend. It has been too long since I've managed to make a Turkey outing. I am still not getting home from work until around seven these days, so I can't make any weekday paddles, which sucks. Hoping by next season things will be better. I definitely will not be taking any more extended summer business trips. It was fun and all, but since I've been back I thought that summer around Boston is to good to miss, especially the paddling.

Allison and I are going down to Wickford next weekend for a day on advanced paddle strokes Saturday, and a day on rolling Sunday. Gotta make up for lost time. Between the dry tops and the wet suits we picked up in May, I think our paddling season has been extended: I will see some Turkeys roll before the the snow flies!
chpaton

Post by chpaton »

Dave:

Latest marine forecast is: SAT
SW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...INCREASING TO 10 TO 15 KT LATE. WAVES
1 FOOT OR LESS.

So if I can make it, you'll be launching from Wollaston Beach just up from Tony's Clam Shoppee at 10?
Craig
Heritage Tandem - Mango
Dave

Affirmative

Post by Dave »

That is the plan. I am loading the boats and gear tonight, sleeping in, and rolling down there by ten. Parking should be pretty easy at that time, but with all the construction I'm not sure excactly were we'll park, around the nearest break in the seawall by Tony's. Can't miss us.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

I'll be there after all. But if I'm not there by 10:15 wait for me at Hangman's.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi guys.

I plan on being there as well. Don't know the area at all. Do you have some general directions?

Bea
Bea
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

NorwayLady wrote:Hi guys.

I plan on being there as well. Don't know the area at all. Do you have some general directions?

Bea

Bea, you wanna go with moi??
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi Nelson.

Sure.

Bea
Bea
Dave

Sat Trip

Post by Dave »

Bea & Nelson,

Hope you all had a good paddle. It was a really good day to get out there, the headwind was a little strong heading back in, but it was managable. Spectace Island was a great pick. What a difference place since last summer!
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Dave,

I really enjoyed the paddle thanks for putting it together. Will you be contributing a trip report?? The activities at Spectacle should be documented don't you think??

The return trip was the cardio portion or our journey and without crossings like that I'd have a hard time calling kayaking exercise. I always like it when things get interesting.

Thanks again.

Nelson
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi guys.

Spectacle Island was a blast. With the Reggae music, burgers on the grill and kites flying it felt like visiting a Carribean island. Would go back in a heart beat.

Dave and Nelson even got a chance to try "driving" a Segway. I didn't. So make sure you all ask Neslon next time you see him why Bea didn't get the chance to try one!

Thanks for putting the trip together, Dave.

Bea
Bea
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Ok, just in case there is anyone else who is as un-hip as I am, I found a pic of a segway.: