Howdie

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

learn2turnn
antispam: No

Howdie

Post by learn2turnn »

Found this forum and thought I'd say "hi". I just started kayaking a bit this summer. Skiing is my first love but I try to stay fit in summer and found that if I hike every weekend, my 50+yo knees aren't happy so I figured I needed another sport to alternate in. I took an intro class with the AMC at Lake Cochituate and a Sea Kayaking class with Boston Paddle in Hingham Harbor and out to Bumpkin Island. I'm hoping to get in one more class with Osprey before the end of summer. Every other weekend, I've rented a 'yak for a few hours from Boston Paddle on the Charles in Newton or Waltham. I've found it loads of fun to practice.

So now I have to figure out what to do next year. I'm thinking of maybe doing a season pass with Boston Paddle and added the 15-day offsite rental. Then I can practice on the Charles any time I want and also do some trips. So I might be looking for some trips next season, something novice-intermediate level. Of course if I knew I was going to be able to stick with the sport, I just drop some money and buy a boat but I'm thinking patience, patience, figure out just what you want first.

I was a member of one of the sailing clubs in Boston for several years and kinda remember my way around the harbor islands. Back in the 80s and 90s I was big into windsurfing and noticed some familiar places mentioned on this site-- Sakonnet River/3rd Beach, Duxbury Powder Point Bridge, etc.

-l2t aka Ken
cgr

Re: Howdie

Post by cgr »

Welcome Ken,
I don't know much about the season pass but it sounds like an opportunity to try different boats while you figure out what you like.
Osprey is a great outfit and the water down there stays warmer into Oct. ?

I used to windsurf at powder point, neds point, kalmus, and third beach a lot back in the 80's. I think I stopped when sails switched to monofilm and became more fragile.

I mainly paddle rivers but try to make some the practice sessions.

Chris
kayakerjnj

Re: Howdie

Post by kayakerjnj »

Welcome Ken,

Please feel free to join us for a skills session, its a great way to meet and greet with some of the regulars.

Paddling is addictive, welcome to the support group LOL
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan