Thursday Skills Sessions 2007

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Being underwater can be a religous experience. :lol: I'm certain we can have you "seeing the light" much faster :twisted:

We'll miss you this evening.

Cheers,

Jordan
lburke

Post by lburke »

see you this pm!
linda
kayakerjnj

Great finish for a great skills season

Post by kayakerjnj »

Greetings all,

First I want to thank the 13 people who attended the last Skills Session of the season, and to all who made this season, a lot of fun and a great success.

As advirtised, we had our last night roll-fest, and our own Dr. Smoke and orginator of these great sessions Mark Stephens, tied for 17 Rolls in a minute! The guys kicked it up a notch an already raised the bar for next year :lol: !

This was a great year for the skills session and its only possible because of the enthusiastic participation we've had.

Thank you one and all for a great season!

Jordan
Mark

Post by Mark »

Jordan - Many thanks to YOU for taking over "sponsorship" of the Hanson Skills Sessions and being such an enthusiastic proponent of skills training for the Wild Turkeys group.

Also, thanks for setting the bar so high for John and I by coming out of the gate with 16 rolls in a minute! I never would have matched that if I wasn't in Bea's "rolling machine"!

Mark
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Yea, kudos to Jordan for keeping the practice sessions well enrolled for the whole season. Always fun to get out on the pond and play around. I know a lot of people, myself included, have learned and practiced some great skills at these sessions.

And as Mark said, thanks for raising the bar for the rollilng. I would have sat back, and let last years 16 stand, if you hadn't hit the magic number.

I'm looking forward to 18 for next year... :D
rnflamingo

Post by rnflamingo »

It was nice to finally see what all the hoopla was about. Great pond, great "rolling" show, great PPR...... a special thanks to J-Smo for the torso paddle training, again. My abs were a little sore this morning, so I think that's probably a good thing. Hope to see some of you at Doug's deal at the Boat House.

Joyce
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

The real hoopla was witnessing "two kayaks humping"! :lol: :lol:
Mark

Post by Mark »

No, that was the "Wild Turkey Death Roll". John's name for it, anyway.
norm

Post by norm »

Did Chris or Ron's videos of that spectacle come out well enough to post a clip? Are there any pointers to a video of what that maneuver was supposed to look like?
Ron

Post by Ron »

I got some video that I am going to get to the video expert and see if he can do anything with them.
Image P&H Cetus HV
cgr

Post by cgr »

I didn't take any video of the ' 2 kayak stuck together', but I take some of the various rolloff entries.

I think I have some webspace somewhere that I can upload them to.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

I told Mark that he and JohnnySmoke looked like Ginger Rogers and Fred Astair....................

NorwayLady
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

I guess Mark is trying to get in touch with his inner Ginger Rogers...
Mark

Post by Mark »

No, John, I was just fantasizing that you were Turner and I was Cheri. :shock:
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

I think I'm a little too high volume to be mistaken for Turner...
Chip

Post by Chip »

You guys are starting to scare me. :shock:
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Did anyone ever get any video of our last Skills Session?

I hope we could post it in the pictures section if any exists.

Cheers until next year, from Camp Kiwanee
cgr

Post by cgr »

kayakerjnj wrote:Did anyone ever get any video of our last Skills Session?

I have some, I have to upload it some place.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

cgr wrote:
kayakerjnj wrote:Did anyone ever get any video of our last Skills Session?

I have some, I have to upload it some place.

I'm almost finished putting together what Ron gave me. It should be entertaining.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
kayakerjnj

Thinking ahead to Skills Session 2008

Post by kayakerjnj »

Greetings All,

It seems like its been forever since we were all splashing around and having fun with our skills sessions.

I know a lot of people had some difficulty making it to Hanson, its both tough for timing for some, and usually a time consuming chore for most who do not live nearby.

So for next season, I wanted to once again throw out the possibilty of looking at some other locations and possibly a different day of the week if that makes sense.

We've been alternating Thursday evenings with Skills and Hingham. I think there maybe enough interest to add an alternate night for either the after work short destination paddle, or the practice session.

If folks have any ideas regarding an alternate practice location and or preferred day of the week that would work, we can start scoping out access, parking, facilities, etc.

Please feel free to throw out any ideas or suggestions to make next year's session not only fun, but possibly easier for more people to participate next year.

Cheers Everyone,

Jordan
cgr

Post by cgr »

Jordan,

My suggestion would be to add some of this practice into some of the weekend paddles or the Hingham Harbor paddles. Some of the weekend trips to places like the harbor or Slocums have areas that are exposed to wind, current, or waves; but are relatively safe so that if something happens you won't get blown off shore or into rocks.

Combining practice with some of the more social paddles might make for an interesting combination. I know that one Thursday night session was at Duxbury last season. Maybe do that again or in Cohasset, if the parking can be managed? I found Mark's session in Cohasset to be very helpful, but can you do that with a group the size of the Hingham paddles(10 - 12+ people?).
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Chris,

All great ideas. There's really no substitute for live water practice in the ocean. That's why I try to get wet every time I go out for that very reason.

There were many people who never made it Hanson because of how arduous it could be during the commute. There are many that I wouldn't want to immerse in the salt until the pond skills were proficiently achieved.

I'd hate to be one of those people who takes a friend skiing for the first time, takes them up the Triple chair, and points them down a black or blue trail.

I think as a group we should make Little Harbor and the surrounding area, a frequent WT Paddler training destination for our skills menu in 2008.

Hopefully Mark will contingue to guide us all with where the best locations are for what we're looking to do.

Cheers,

Jordan
Hans

Post by Hans »

Hey all,
I like the idea of using a saturday or sunday. I live in Marshfield yet work in downtown Boston. I don't even get home until usually 7:30pm during the week, so my chances of getting to thursday night skills sessions at Hingham harbor are out of the question. I have gone out with a friend of mine during the weekend and practices certain things-self-rescues,etc. but I think for me personally it would be great to get another point of view or pointers on things. I can here my buddy Kevin say and compliment me on doing something all day long, but it would be nice to have a new set of eyes watch over us, to may be pick out a few things that may make-for example-a self rescue or assisted rescue easier or quicker. Not to mention meet some new faces, hear some new stories, and hey even enjoy some post-paddle refreshments. :lol:
Jeff
W.S. Tsunami 165
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi Jeff,

A weekend session is a great idea. As Chris mentioned a follow on practice session or possibly integrating it during some of our destination paddles. We had a fun current session the day we went to the Weepeckets last summer. I'm certain there's lots of interest for some weekend practice time.

We'll look forward to seeing you on one of hopefully the many trips in 2008 we'll be planning.

Cheers,

Jordan
apple
antispam: No

Re: Thursday Skills Sessions 2007

Post by apple »

I plan on attending this Thursday's skills in Hanson...Is it difficult to find?
kayakerjnj

Re: Thursday Skills Sessions 2007

Post by kayakerjnj »

http://wtpaddlers.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2761

The address is here. Camp Kiwanee in Hanson / Rte 58 Anytime after 5PM

See you there :)
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan