Thursday Skills Sessions 2007

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

kayakerjnj

Thursday Skills Sessions 2007

Post by kayakerjnj »

Greetings All,

Since we have a tentative Thursday to start the Hingham Paddles, its time to announce the first Skills Night.

Thursday 5-17-07

I think the ususal goal to arrive by 6:00 PM, and play till dusk :), or until you can't roll anymore :lol:

Where this is the first skills session of the season, I'd recommend bringing appropiate cool water attire, until the temps are more consistently comfortable.

Mark has said it best in the past......
"The sessions are very informal, covering a wide range of skills, from first wet exit to hand rolls. People come whenever they want, work on whatever they want, either in groups or alone. There are a number of very skilled paddlers always willing to help out other folks with new skills or just spotting each other."

Hope to see lots of WT Paddlers.

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=camp+kiwanee++hanson+MA&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=47.617464,81.738281&ie=UTF8&om=1&ll=42.054678,-70.85422&spn=0.021955,0.039911&z=15&iwloc=addr">Please click on this link for location</a>

Best to all,

Jordan
kayakerjnj

Who's interested for Thursday 5/17?

Post by kayakerjnj »

Greetings All,

This Thursday 5-17-07 is the first scheduled skills session for Hanson. It would be great if those who are planning to attend would post their interest for the first night's practice.

If there is anything in particular that someone wishes to practice or try, please let us know so we can then plan to bring what might be useful.

Thanks,

Jordan
rnflamingo

skills

Post by rnflamingo »

Well, I would like to work on paddling correctly. It seems I've been paddling with my "arms" too much, as opposed to letting my torso do the work. But I can't seem to master the technique. I would also benefit from some suggestions on loading and unloading a 60-pound kayak onto my car rack by myself.
Joyce
Linda

Post by Linda »

Once you get the 'feel' of paddling with your torso... it's a dream come true... you will easily identify when your using your torso or using your arms, It's like bowling and knowing as soon as the ball leaves your fingers it's going where you intended or not. It's a GREAT feeling!
As far as the 60 lb kayak... OUCH!!! An easier task before the paddle than after!
Still Mind, Relaxed Breath, Pure Attention...
Paddling is Great Therapy!
kayakerjnj

c'mon down

Post by kayakerjnj »

We can try to help with everything, including wrestling with the 60lb plastic beast (and winning).

The cool part about paddling in a group is usually the loading back up is only half the effort as we usually have a buddy to get on the other end of the boat :lol:. Seriously though there is a couple tricks to help load a heavy awkward boat.

Cheers,

Jordan
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Jordan.

How cold is the water...............

NorwayLady
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

NorwayLady wrote:How cold is the water...............

Ask this man.

Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
kayakerjnj

LMAO

Post by kayakerjnj »

Based on Pat's Assesment of water temp, I should think cold water attire is appropriate, as well as a changing stall with a door that locks LOL :lol:

I believe the temperature will be in the low to mid 60's.
kayakerjnj

Who's in for Thursday?

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi All,

Please let me know who's planning to attend Thursday's Skill Session in Hanson.

If we don't have anyone who wishes to attend this week, we can reschedule the first skills session for May 31st.

Thanks,

Jordan
Skip

Post by Skip »

FYI - The water temperature at Camp Kiwanee in Hanson was 67 degrees as of 6 pm Tuesday, warmer than I expected.

I have been trying to find a farmer john or a hydroskin that will fit me. Local stores have very little in stock so there is nothing to try on for fit. I went to Charles River Kayak today and found nothing, a wasted trip. I have searched all over the web and found almost nothing in larger sizes, like 2X or 3X. NRS Grizzly is all there is but still according to the size chart I would have to be 6'6 tall. I may have to go to a dive shop next. Never expected that it would be that difficult.

Skip in Hanson
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

I think a dive shop would be able to better help you. There's one on Rt 139 in Marshfield if you don't know of another.

Maybe you can buy the Grizzly and have the dive shop taylor it.

Chip might have some suggestions for you also.

Good Luck and thanks for the water temp report.

Nelson
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
kayakerjnj

Thanks for the Temp Check

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi Skip,

Thanks for reporting the temp in Kiwanee! It is higher than I expected and about as good as it gets for mid May.

Thanks,

Jordan
cgr

Post by cgr »

Skip wrote:FYI - The water temperature at Camp Kiwanee in Hanson was 67 degrees as of 6 pm Tuesday, warmer than I expected.

I have been trying to find a farmer john or a hydroskin that will fit me. Local stores have very little in stock so there is nothing to try on for fit. I went to Charles River Kayak today and found nothing, a wasted trip. I have searched all over the web and found almost nothing in larger sizes, like 2X or 3X. NRS Grizzly is all there is but still according to the size chart I would have to be 6'6 tall. I may have to go to a dive shop next. Never expected that it would be that difficult.

Skip in Hanson

I returned an XXL farmer john that didn't fit at REI in Hingham over the w/e. I ordered a grizzly there with the 20% coupon that will take a week or two to get here. I ordered by chest size, if need be I'll have them order another size.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Hey Skip,
I bought the grizzly and it fits pretty good. I needed the shoulder strap extenders. They work fine. Not the best fit but the important areas are covered well. The legs are a little long but work ok.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
jkates

Large wetsuit

Post by jkates »

NRS has a wet suit that even fits me.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp? ... eptid=1162
kayakerjnj

Lots of Wardrobe Info but no takers for Tonight

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi Gang,

From the lack of enthusiasm, I gather it's still too early in the season for most to venture into Kiwanee this evening.

Let's try this again on Thursday the 31st.

Cheers,

Jordan

PS. Bear in mind, Kiwanee is still much warmer than the ocean most of you have already been paddling.
peg

Post by peg »

I just finished learning self and assisted rescues in a course over at CRCK; I would love to head over tonight (despite air temps in the 50s) but I have family that flew in this week. I'll definitely be there on the 31st. Definitely look forward to having someone around to spot me in some rolls as well--I haven't rolled the tempest yet (have rolled in ww boats many years ago).. I hear the longer boats are spindly and roll easy. Of course this depends on how well the boat is fitted, and I hope mine isn't too loose around the hips...
kayakerjnj

See you on the 31st

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi Peg,

Our paddling sensei Mark called my Tempest 170 a "ROLLING MACHINE", when he tried my boat! He then quickly sold his Surge for a much more agile sea machine. I have no doubt you will love the way your boat rolls.

If we have some good weather, I'm sure there will be no shortage of people or things that will be practiced, not to mention all the yucks we ususally have.

See you then,

Jordan
Eileen

Post by Eileen »

I'll put the 31st on my calendar.
Eileen
kayakerjnj

Polling for Thursday

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi gang,

I'm trying to get a pulse on the interest level for Thurday's scheduled skills session.

Please let me know who's planning to go this week.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Thanks,

Jordan
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

Hoping to be there. Planning to be there.

Actually getting there is another matter. We'll see.
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Will there be beer, bbq, and frisbee's? Kinda hard to compete with that...
peg

Post by peg »

I'll definitely be there but probably closer to 6:30. Frisbees were mentioned, so let me just put it out there that I always keep a spare flashflight in the car... http://www.flashflight.com/google/index ... VAodkT1aRQ
Eileen

Post by Eileen »

i plan to be at the pond this week, weather permitting. eileen
Eileen
kayakerjnj

See you Thursday

Post by kayakerjnj »

Sounds like a plan :)

I look forward to kicking off the first skills session of 2007 in Hanson.

Have a great week!
pabbon

Post by pabbon »

Hi this is pabbon. (Peter)

I am going to try to be there. I have never met anyone from this group, so I figured go and meet some of you guys and gals.

Peter
kayakerjnj

Welcome Peter

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi Peter,

Glad to have you join us.

See you Thursday,

Jordan
Mark

Post by Mark »

I'll probably make it over tomorrow if the weather isn't too crappy.
Eileen

Post by Eileen »

mark - i have your gear from mark, and will bring it to the pond. if it's too lousy, guess we'll have to meet for a beer. i leave work about 3:30 - i'll call you on your cell. eileen
Eileen
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Unless its pouring, I'll be there tonight.
peg

Post by peg »

call me a big wimp but I'm going to bow out and see you guys next skills session, i think i'm coming down with a cold. :cry:
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

peg wrote:call me a big wimp but I'm going to bow out and see you guys next skills session, i think i'm coming down with a cold. :cry:

You're a big wimp!
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Birdseye wrote:Unless its pouring, I'll be there tonight.

Are you afraid of getting wet??
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Hey cut me some slack, she told us to call her a wimp so I did.
Chip

Post by Chip »

You must admit, the timing wasn't too good.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Chip wrote:You must admit, the timing wasn't too good.

You got me there. :?
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Pretty good turnout for our first skills session. We had Jordan, Mark, Ron, Eileen, John and myself. A familiar crowd.

Unfortunately, no new folks showed up (with their boats anyway). We did get a chance to meet Pabon (I think its Peter?? sorry) but he didn't bring his boat.

The water was comfortable and it was good to get the rust off. This was the perfect opportunity to get a "new" yak wet and get to know people. Its tough to change your weekly routine sometimes but in the long run its worth it.

Hope to see some new faces in 2 weeks.
pabbon

Post by pabbon »

Hi,
Yeah, I didn't have my boat. I was a little under the weather as they say. It was nice meeting you guys. You were very kind to a stranger. Sometimes after work I get pretty tired. I drive a real small car ,so it takes a little bit to strap my yak down. I'm in the process of buy a larger vehicle, but for now this will have to do. Again, thanks for being so kind.

Peter
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

We're always kind to newcomers. Once we get to know you better, you're really in for some abuse.

;)
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
rnflamingo

you have no idea

Post by rnflamingo »

I want so badly to come to the Thursday skills, but I work at Braintree Hospital until 3:30, 4:00. Then I'd have to drive back to Walpole, change and get my boat on the roof (if one of my daughters is there to help), then drive back down to south shore again. By the time I got there, you'd all be gone. If I ever get a Thursday off, I'M THERE!!
Joyce