July 7th - Boston Harbor Island Hop

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Chip

July 7th - Boston Harbor Island Hop

Post by Chip »

The plan is to leave Windmill point in Hull at around 9:00am. Low tide is at 11:45.
Take a few short jaunts to Rainsford, Gallops and Georges. Stop a Georges to explore a bit. Then head over to Great Brewster and then back to Hull. It is about an 8 mile trip with 4 stops. This one may be extended based on the group and my endurance level at the time. :D

If any of the more experienced paddlers think my timing through the gut is wrong let me know.

More info to follow.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
chpaton

Post by chpaton »

Chip:

I'll try and make this one. Anybody planning to come should be wary of Nantasket Beach traffic especially if the weather is hot!

I did an appreviated version of this trip with my stepson using our old double kayak on May 25th - we timed departure with out going tide and returned just as the tide was turning. (I'll try to find the time for a quick trip report with some Lovell's pics)

From what I can tell Gallops is still posted "no trespassing" we were intending to sneak ashore on the 25th but there were not enough drunken powerboaters to keep the USCG busy. One of the USCG hardshell inflatables shadowed us as we skirted the Gallops shore and only departed the area after we landed on Lovell's. So you might want to substitute Lovell's or Calf's as a destination.

Personally, I'd be just as happy to spend as much time exploring as paddling on this trip.
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
Todd

Post by Todd »

Chip-I'm in. Just remind what day it is when it gets close. I tend to forget things like this.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
kayakerjnj

Sounds great

Post by kayakerjnj »

Count me in Tempest Pro!

Congratulations on the new Vessel :lol:

Jordan
Talisman

Post by Talisman »

Chip, I would like to join in on this one too.

I think I have just committed my summer to kayaking..... :shock:

FYI, this is Joe Abner if you haven't figured that out already...
Joe

Image Riot Kayaks Excursion 17.5 Sailboat Tender
Linda

Post by Linda »

I'd like to join you on this one... looks like I'm the only "HEN" clucking in, though... Hope to knee-jerk some others by posting my intent.
Still Mind, Relaxed Breath, Pure Attention...
Paddling is Great Therapy!
Dalerks

Post by Dalerks »

I think I can make it
rkhederian

Post by rkhederian »

Chip,

I would like to attend this one, also. Please keep me posted at rkhederian@comcast.net

Thanks,
Bob K.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Although this is not one of the longer trips and we will have a few stops on the way, we will still be paddling through a major channel and will have to be aware of summer boating traffic. That said, level 2+ skills will be necessary and as always, you are responsible for your own safety. Head over to Hanson this week if you need to brush up on your wet exit and/or rescue skills.
Please be ready to launch at 9:00am
Last edited by Chip on Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Just to clarify, level 2+ skills consists of the abililty to paddle up to 10 miles in 1-2 foot chop, the ability to perform a wet exit with assisted rescue. You should have at least a 14ft boat with front and rear bulkheads or adequate flotation bags and a sprayskirt.
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

This looks like a great trip...and the long-range forecast is looking picture perfect. I'm in. 8)
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Keep an eye out for me and "ET BUGABOO". I'll be out on Grape from Friday night to Sunday and sailing/fishing the area during the day.

Mark

Post by Mark »

Hey Steve: Jess and I are kayak-camping on Bumpkin on Saturday night, so we should see about running into each other somewhere on the water or on one of the islands. Are you bringing the family with you?

We'll probably fish also, although our range will be pretty limited. (About as long as a ten-year old's attention span. :roll: )

Mark
noseykate

may be able to make it...

Post by noseykate »

It's looking like this will work for me. I may want to peel off from the main group while you are mucking about on the islands and head out to the Graves if weather/water permits. In that case I'd try to join you again heading back (I'll carry a radio), but if not would paddle it solo. I'll check with you though, Chip, to be sure you are okay with this on your trip.

Kate
kayakerjnj

Company to the Graves

Post by kayakerjnj »

If Mom & Dad give us the nod :lol:, I'd be happy to paddle out to the Graves with you, and forego some landing time.

Have a great 4th everyone.

Jordan
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Mark wrote:Hey Steve: Jess and I are kayak-camping on Bumpkin on Saturday night, so we should see about running into each other somewhere on the water or on one of the islands. Are you bringing the family with you?

We'll probably fish also, although our range will be pretty limited. (About as long as a ten-year old's attention span. :roll: )

Mark

Hey Mark, nope... the family is heading down to the Cape for the weekend and I finagled getting out of it. I'll have my radio.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Can we get headcount?

We have definite:
Me
Ron
Talisman
Finn
Jordan
Linda

Who else?
kayakerjnj

See above?

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi Chip,

I believe Kate maybe attending as well.

Cheers,

Jordan
Dalerks

Post by Dalerks »

I will be there
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Can I come?

NorwayLady
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Todd and rkhederian ??
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

I think Todd is in Montana??

NorwayLady
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
rkhederian

Directions to Windmill Point

Post by rkhederian »

Can someone give me directions to where you are meeting?

Thanks,
Bob K
rkhederian@comcast.net
kayakerjnj

Directions

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi Bob,

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=192+Main+St,+Hull,+MA+02045&geocode=&saddr=canton+ma&f=d&hl=en&sll=42.303232,-70.921458&sspn=0.010855,0.019956&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1">Here's some directions to the put in.</a>

See you tomorrow!

Jordan
lbeale

RE: I am interested in this trip--but...

Post by lbeale »

I am interested in going on this trip--it also looks like some people from NSPN are leaving from Hingham Harbor about the same time--rendevous? Would anyone be interested in launching from South Boston with me at Sing's beach aka public launch near yacht club and UMass and then hookin' up with the rest of the gang--will give directions if interested--for those of us who are coming from cross the river--launching at this site cuts down on driving time--les :D
Satuit Paddler

Space for a newbie?

Post by Satuit Paddler »

Chip,
I've just joined the WTP and wondered if there was space for one more paddler on tomorrow's trip?
Jan
Linda

Post by Linda »

I think I have to bow out of this trip, reluctantly!
I woke this morning with a very sore right elbow... I think last evenings paddle aggravated something I did to it earlier in the week... If I'm not there 'bright and early' I'm not coming... have a GREAT TIME Ya All!
Hope it heals quickly!
Still Mind, Relaxed Breath, Pure Attention...
Paddling is Great Therapy!
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I think that Chip is on vacation, in Plymouth, and incommunicado. But I suspect there's plenty of room.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
peg

Post by peg »

I think I saw you guys around noon, beached at World's End. I wish I could have made it. Too bad this wasn't posted in the upcoming trips section.. I didn't find out until too late, cause this post was buried in the general discussion.. :cry:
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

peg wrote:I think I saw you guys around noon, beached at World's End. I wish I could have made it. Too bad this wasn't posted in the upcoming trips section.. I didn't find out until too late, cause this post was buried in the general discussion.. :cry:

Wasn't us you saw at Worlds End. We weren't really near it.

This turned into an epic trip ...we made it all the way out to The Graves. Everyone is probably too exhausted to post about it tonight. More later, I'm sure.
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!