Welcome to new and prospective members!

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

c5johnson

New Paddler(s)

Post by c5johnson »

Hello! My wife and I recently bought an Old Town Dirigo 106 and 120. We are looking forward to some paddling on the North River and other locations. We have only kayaked a few times in New Hampshire with friends (and I on the white waters of the Dead River in ME), but are excited about going more frequently.

We'll be on the lookout for the start of the kayak season, the Thursday night skills sessions, and possible trips.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Welcome Aboard.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Edward Earle

Outdated Classifieds

Post by Edward Earle »

To whom it may concern,
Why is it that WTP cannot cleanup their classifieds? There are postings for kayaks that have already been sold. There are replys and questions about kayak that were sold, long ago There are items that have long been sold and (or) taken off the market. There are email correspondence about items sold or taken off the market
It is totally not current.
WHY???[/b]
Chip

Re: Outdated Classifieds

Post by Chip »

Edward Earle wrote:To whom it may concern,
Why is it that WTP cannot cleanup their classifieds? There are postings for kayaks that have already been sold. There are replys and questions about kayak that were sold, long ago There are items that have long been sold and (or) taken off the market. There are email correspondence about items sold or taken off the market
It is totally not current.
WHY???[/b]

Hey Edward Earle,
What's your beef? It less than 1 page. You skip the items that have SOLD in the title. Other than that how is the admin suppose to know they were taken off the market. I don't think they have gotten these emails you speak of. This is a free site. You get what you pay for.

By the way, welcome to the website. Nice first post :roll:
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Paulywog

Greetings

Post by Paulywog »

I am fairly new to kayaking. I tried it for the first time two years ago and fell in love with it. Being on the water, just being part of the ambiance(sp?) is so peaceful and calming. No speed or noise involved.
I just dont get the jet ski thing.....

I live in East Bridgewater. So far my favorite spot is Onset Beach.

I have two kayaks and they are not much to write home about. But they give me great pleasure. And having two has allowed me to share and introduce folk to kayaking.

I am looking forward to meeting everyone, but I know I will feel insecure with my grade school kayaks. A ten foot Keowee.

Laurie
Betulaceae

Hi Everybody!

Post by Betulaceae »

I found WTP while looking for a trip guide to the Agawam river in Carver/Wareham( which I led a couple trips on- 20 plus years ago)
It is a fun( but challenging) paddle- anybody else ever try it?

I am located on the Southcoast/Dartmouth-Westport area

Started canoeing as a kid, learned whitewater kayaking in Maine, did some fun sea kayaking trips, been part of an informal paddle group for about 10 yrs and generally, just like messing about in boats- (boats +water= all good)

Have a couple of kayaks and a couple of canoes (and lots of repairs on all of em ) Even did some boatbuilding & paddle carving along the way- but can't seem to get to that gelcoat repair on the canoe

Hope to meet you on the water- Bet
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Welcome B!

Look forward to seeing you on the water this season.

Cheers,

Jordan
norm

Post by norm »

Bet - Welcome to the forum.

I can honestly say I've done just about all of the Agawam River in the last 3 years, over multiple trips. Nothing really spectacular to report, but it's interesting to try to explore every section of a river.

We RV camp at Maple Park campground once or twice a year. We've put in at the campground and gone both downstream and upstream in our 9 foot recreational kayaks. I've also put in at the railroad tracks near Main street using a sea kayak and gone upstream in the tidal section of the Agawam. There are quite a few obstacles to overcome if you want to paddle that entire river.

I can try to answer questions if you're thinking of trying it again this year.

I'm hoping to check out the tidal rivers down in your neck of the woods this year. I want to paddle Slocums River and both branches of the Westport River. Maybe camp at Horseneck Beach.

Norm
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

All three locations are great flatwater venues. They were really the venues that provided me the exposure to sea kayaking years ago.

Slocums and the West Branch of the Westport are easy great paddles. The East Branch is equally pleasant, but timing of the tide is critical to avoid 2 miles of knuckle dragging.
Betulaceae

Hey thanks for the welcome!

Post by Betulaceae »

Ah the Agawam- we used to put in right below Halfway Pond( I think I will look it up on my maps)- then bush paddle (we called it as you were in/under/through the bushes) then it opened up into the cranberry bogs- 11 portages, then Stumpy pond- a hoot , some lovely woodlands then we took out at Glen Charlie Pond. One year we went all the way to Wareham harbor but there is a rather tricky portage at Rt 6-ie everyone grabs a boat and runs like hell x 4 lanes!
There are lots of great paddles in Westport/Dartmouth put in/takeout spots can be a challenge in summer( as can motorboat traffic) but we do a lot of moonlight and/or sunset paddles, and the lesser known areas. We even do a chainsaw paddle(!) every year as we are part of the Save the Pasky campaign trying to get the Paskamansett River open from Rt 195 to the sea, it has been trashed over the years and Hurricane Bob laid a number of trees over the river but it is gradually getting open. I will post trip info when they come up.
To the thaw- Bet
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

Hi All, Just signed up today.
I live in Harwich, Cape Cod and took up Sea Kayaking about 2 years ago.I started the BCU courses and am going for the new 3* this fall.I work in the restaurant business and have to work weekends but I'm off weds and thurs every week, so if anyone is looking for mid week trips on the Cape, let me know. I'm happy to practice rescues, rolls, whatever, or just a paddle in the ocean. I also have a draft beer refrigerator ( just for some incentive!!!)
Cheers Dave
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Welcome Dave!

We should have a few paddles that will be in your area this season.

Hope to see you on the water.

Jordan
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Hey Dave,
You sound like our kind of guy. I'd like to see that fridge someday.

Too bad about working weekends. Hopefully we'll connect at some point.

Nelson
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
EDGECRUSHER

Post by EDGECRUSHER »

Hey all!

Long time lurker would like to thank all of you "veterans" for all your beta, knowledge, and inspiration over the years. It's been fun following along.....

EDGE
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Welcome Edge!

We'll all sleep better now knowing you're no longer lurking :P

Hope to see you on the water soon.

Jordan
Ralph B

New to the group!

Post by Ralph B »

Hi all,
It's great to find this group. I first started kayaking on the West coast, about 8 years ago. The best thing I ever did was get my wife into kayaking, now she drags ME out sometimes. She grew up in Duxbury, and we're out on Dux Bay most weekends during the summer, even though we live in Acton. But I'm also looking to get out on some more open water as well. Also, I'm very interested in checking out the tall ships this week. Anyone going out Thursday or Friday?
Looking forward to meeting all of you!
- Ralph
Astrid

New to the group, too.

Post by Astrid »

Hi! I was going to meet a bunch of you tomorrow morning in Duxbury...but, hey, Mother Nature gets the final say. Always. W/o dispute.

Anyhow, I noticed there are a bunch of people out in the MetroWest area like me and I bet you all have the same wish to join the Thursday night crew, but can't b/c of time.

Would people want to start a satellite Thursday night skill session? There are a bunch of "ponds" around here. And I know I could certainly use the practice.

As for me, I've been sea paddling on and off for 4-5 years now and finally got myself a baby. :D (RTM Presto, red & white, very French chic) (And thanks to the guys at BSK...they are really great) Skill level is somewhere between beginner and intermediate. (Depending on the boat and the year.)
Hope to meet some of you soon.
-Astrid
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi Astrid,

Practice sessions at new venues are always a good time.

Please feel free to suggest and post another location and time.

I know a few folks in your area that would be enthusiastic about the option, and I too enjoy going them.

Cheers,

Jordan
stevieo526

Re: Welcome to new and prospective members!

Post by stevieo526 »

Posted this on the old board before I read the post the forum is moving. lol

Hello everyone,

I'm Steve and I have been using your site since the day I decided I wanted to buy my own kayak (A great resource I may add). I figured I would join the discussion.

A little about me: I have fallen in love with kayaking, but don't get to go very often as I don't like to go out on the water alone. I've stuck to fresh water so far and look forward to hitting some tidal rivers soon and then maybe graduate to the sea. I have a Dicks Potomac 100ES which is really a Pelican Pursuit 100 with a different logo.
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Welcome Steve, Enjoy the fall paddling season ahead!
snwdiver

Post by snwdiver »

For many this would be end of the east coast paddling season but I just joined into the fun on the site and wanted to post something amazing.

sorry, nothing but rain coming down today.

Just a quick introduction,
Raised on Cape Cod, started white water paddling 8 years ago, been paddling a Tempest 165 for the last 7 years and working at the Goose Hummock Shops (Kayak & Canoe) in Orleans as the director of outdoor programs....(working retail as well and doing repairs on boats)
I will be moving over the bridge to Wareham and hoping that I will be able to utilize every ones knowledge to find paddling spots as well as share everything i know about Cape Cod and its places to explore.

Can not wait until I get into the abyss of info all you paddlers have to offer

Get after it!
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Glad to have you with us, snwdiver. Welcome to the group!
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Welcome aboard!

Hope to see you on the water :)
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
skingspan

Post by skingspan »

Hello.

Just wanted to introduce myself. I am Steve. Just started kayaking this year. I have lived a couple blocks from the Merrimack River in Methuen MA for 10 years but just getting into kayaking now. Most of my trips so far have be solo as my wife has no interest whatsoever. Hopefully I can find some other Merrimack River paddlers.
norm

Post by norm »

Welcome!

The majority of our active regulars are mostly from the south shore area but the group seems to have expanded in different directions lately. Many, or maybe most of us are in the same boat as far as having spouses that have little interest in kayaking. That's why we're here on this forum - looking for somebody to paddle with. It's more fun and much safer in a group than venturing out alone. (Just a little more hassle to coordinate.)

There are other paddling groups around also, if you have not already found them. I don't want to discourage you from our group, we're a very friendly crowd, but I'm not sure there are many active people in our group from the north of Boston. There's a group called the North Shore Paddlers Network that is very active in sea kayaking (http://www.nspn.org) on the north shore. I don't know if they have any members that like river trips.

Well, I hope you have success finding paddling buddies. Try posting proposals for paddling trips in the Upcoming Trips section and try to not get discouraged if you don't get immediate takers the first few times.

Norm
healymb
antispam: No

Post by healymb »

Hello,

I'm Matt, from Dartmouth, Ma. I've been kayaking a few times, but just inherited my own.

I'm looking forward to paddling this coming year.

Matt
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Welcome Matt!

Look for us on the water soon!

Jordan
carolann

Post by carolann »

Thanks for the hello! I'll quicky introduce myself, I live in Bridgewater, single mom (widowed) with one in college & one in a Catholic high school, and a great dog - why did I mention our dog?, well he's the reason why I could not purchase kayaks last summer - he needed emergency surgery, so that's where the funds went...to our "Buddy". I've rented & borrowed periodically for years & Here's the challenge for me right now - and I'm a bit embarrassed to even post this because you are all super experienced, I need advice on which kayak to purchase - I've been researching & researching, tried a few then I thought, why not ask you all...I want to feel safe & comfortable & I'd like to purchase two so my boys, who love to kayak as well, can tag along with me whenever...any advice is appreciated! My other challenge - not driving into the garage with the rack on the car..:) Looking forward to meeting you all soon. Thanks so much! Carol Ann
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

carolann wrote:why did I mention our dog?

Because one of the co-founders (me) is a big-time dog person.

I need advice on which kayak to purchase

That depends.
(Don't you love that answer?)
First of all, it depends on what you've paddled so far, and how much paddling you've done. If you're really new to the sport, you probably don't know what sort of paddling you're really going to like. Some people love the flatwater kayaking, while others want the open ocean. Still others are into whitewater.

The advice I give to everyone that doesn't currently own a kayak is to just find a decent used kayak so that you have something to paddle while deciding what you really want for a boat. I think it's a mistake to spend every dime you've got on the boat that sounds good on paper, or fits one person's idea of the perfect boat, only to find out a season later that you'd really rather have bought something different. And while you're out paddling with us in your used boat, you'll have the opportunity to try all of ours!

For a couple reasons, I definitely wouldn't buy anything shorter than a 14' boat.

My other challenge - not driving into the garage with the rack on the car..:)

Done that.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
norm

Post by norm »

carolann wrote:I need advice on which kayak to purchase - I've been researching & researching, tried a few then I thought, why not ask you all...I want to feel safe & comfortable & I'd like to purchase two so my boys, who love to kayak as well, can tag along with me whenever...any advice is appreciated!

Welcome Carol Ann!
I second Pat's advice 100%, you need a good idea of what type of paddling you're likely to pursue most before you spend a lot of money. Doesn't hurt to start off with used gear, especially if you hang out with our frugal crowd.
I started 10 years ago, kayaking in rivers and brooks, while RV camping and got 4 nine foot rec kayaks for the whole family (2 boys, wife and me). As the boys got older and we did less camping, I joined the turkeys and got a Venture Kayaks Easky 15 plastic sea kayak - very stable but not very fast - good for ocean, lakes and rivers. Next I bought a used 18' Kajak Sport Artisan Millenium fiberglass sea kayak to make it easier to keep up with the speedier paddlers.
In the last 2 years I started doing a little whitewater kayaking at the Deerfield River with my younger son and got a couple used boats for that.
Of course I'm a pack rat and never get rid of anything, so I now have 8 kayaks. (Good thing I don't have a garage to worry about!!!)
My sons are probably a couple years older than yours - both in college in your home town (BSC) - one a freshman and the other a senior. They don't seem interested in sea kayaking at all and prefer rivers where they can play around while paddling. My younger son has tried my 18' kayak (without permission) and couldn't stand how tippy it is and fell out twice while trying to launch from a dock. He has used the Easky 15 on lakes and rivers and loves it. He tried it in Onset harbor but didn't like ocean swells and boat wakes so he'd rather stick with whitewater rivers now. (Makes no sense to me either that he doesn't like waves in the ocean but wants to paddle whitewater rivers.)
So, if your boys are like mine and drift away as they get older, you might find it useful to have a nice sea kayak for yourself and a more stable "buddy boat" sea kayak for times when one of your boys wants to join you.
As Pat said, come on out to our Thursday night "skills" sessions at Camp Kiwanee in Hanson and you can try all kinds of boats and meet people with all sorts of kayaking interests. There's never a lack of advice to go around when we're in Hanson - some of us do more talking that practicing.
Norm
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Welcome Carol Ann,

I'm going to echo Pat & Norm's advice. I too am on my umpteenth boat and if I were starting all over again, the best advice would be to know that you're first boat, won't be the same boat in the next year or two. As beginners we don't know what fits right, paddles the way we like, nor are we as skilled as we would like to be when we start. As you evolve your paddling skills, your boat and gear preferences will evolve too.

Rent, borrow, and buy a good used kayak. Take the opportunity to participate in as many skills sessions as you can so you can become safe and proficient, by doing so you'll have a lot more fun, a lot faster. Your best investment is in a properly fitting PFD and get the best paddle you can afford. Under no circumstances get a paddle that is too long (>220 cm). Nothing is more frustrating than to see a new paddler that got bamboozled into an excessively long paddle, all it does is fatigue your shoulders and hampers good paddling form. Again, try different lengths and see what feels right for you.

Try any and everything before you buy. Good Luck, and happy shopping :)

Hope to have you join us on the water soon!

Jordan
carolann

Post by carolann »

WOW, you guys are great! Thank you soooo much! I plan to come to the skills practice in Hanson...I just assumed I needed a kayak to attend...I can borrow one from a bud, or maybe even persuade her to come - she has two (a perception & an old towne - I'm not too fond of either, at least these models)...I've kayaked mostly calm waters, the only ocean kayaking I've done is out to Monotony (sp.?) island on the Cape, done that twice from the river, renting from CCK, love that trip! & so did my boys...we are down hill skiers as well (we have all that gear, buy all our gear used as needed at a swap @ Cross Sabers in Raynham - they're great to work with) yet I know I am not ready to kayak rapids...someday, maybe. Ok, the other issue, can I show up at skills night without a wet/dry suit ? or if I don't have one should I wait until it gets warmer to show up for practice? , I've never rolled over, I know someday I will need to learn that survival skill but a wet suit is not a priority purchase for me right now. Oh, did I mention my youngest is 6'2"?, my oldest 5'10", I am 5'8"...my goal is to focus on me right now, but I love the idea of purchasing for me first then purchasing a less expensive yet safe one for my "boys". as well as pfd's

There is a kayak demo weekend @ Wickford Town Beach in RI, 4/30-5/1, along with a consignment sale, I will continue to look for these opportunities. I do know that I want a place to put my h2o so it doesn't roll all over the bottom of the boat, as well as a place to put my camera for photo opp's, a comfy enough seat, color does not matter, 14' really? ok, for touring & my over 6' son. (yes he plays hoop, but baseball is his passion)

Again you guys are great, thank you so so much...I appreciate all the advice/help anyone wants to give. :)

Carol Ann
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi again,

For the skills sessions, you should plan to get wet if you wish to practice your bracing and other safety strokes / rescue skills. The water won't really be all that warm until we've had some continuous warm weather towards the end of May. Early May is likely to be still chilly. A wet suit is a great idea if you can get a hold of one, otherwise we can just work on strokes and keep you on top of the water until you're ready for some immersion :)

The other practice gear you may want to bring is nose plugs, and or a scuba mask to see what's going on under water and to keep the sinuses happy.

Cheers!

Jordan
Mark

Re: Evolution of Paddling Purchases

Post by Mark »

On the subject of the evolution of paddling purchases, I was just thinking how the last boat I bought would literally fit inside the first boat I bought.

First Boat: 80 lb Old Town Camper canoe/barge:

Last Boat: Bigfoot Squirt Kayak:

Unlike Norm, however, I no longer have either boat.
seatime

Post by seatime »

Hi folks, i just found the site here and thought id say hello.
ive paddled a lot of places but im always looking for somthing new and this looks like a great place to get some ideas.
The cape is one of my favorites but a slow winding river is where you will usualy find me this time of year, the waters high the sun is strong, the temps are cool but on a small river its PERFECT! today the wind is light so its off to cambridge and the chareles thru the locks into the haabah.lol
its BEEEUTIFUL OUT!
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Welcome Seatime!

Hope to see you out on the water soon.

Jordan
kmbgolf

Post by kmbgolf »

I am also new rented a couple kayaks with the kids loved it and decided to buy a couple.Got one of the ems begginer perceptions for the kids on ponds and such and I found a pretty good deal on a borealdesign inukshuck.I like it alot.Been practicing wet exits and enters I can do them so so.Been doing some of the trips from the book paddling Cape COD down the rivers from the bays and back.Been told to wait to exit the bays until I am a liitle better with braces and rescues.Would love to get out with some exp. kayakers.I am on Cape Cod.
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Welcome aboard :D

Hope see you on the water soon.

Jordan
Monroe's Dad

Post by Monroe's Dad »

Hi to all. My first post. I just lucked into this site earlier in the week. My wife and I are mid-50's semi-retirees who recently washed ashore Mid-Cape. We recently upgraded (probably not the last time) from Blast's to 12' Pungos - a little wide, but perfect for what we do; paddle a few hours, stop for lunch, paddle a few more. We've pretty much stuck to tidal rivers like the Bass and Swan, and protected waters like Pleasant bay (a favorite - you can pull in the Waquasett for a cold one :D ). Last summer, as long as it was fairly calm, we started venturing out into the ocean a bit and plan to do more this summer. We've paddled with a couple of other like-minded "semi-serious" folks but more would be better. We're still week-ending until June, after which we'll be full-time on the Cape - so times are flexible.

Looking forward...
Jim
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Hi Jim, welcome to the group!

There's a lot of protected waters down on the cape that are nice paddling, and several others if you stray a little past the canal. If you haven't yet, you definitely want to paddle around Waquoit Bay. There's some convenient parking at the top of the Childs River, and a lot of areas to explore.

Typically, if we get a crew of people together to go down as far as you are, it's probably for a fairly ambitious trip, like around the Monomoy area. This might be a bit beyond what you'd do in a recreational kayak, but we can always nudge you in that direction. ;)
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com