Windmill Point to the Graves Lighthouse - Trip Report

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Birdseye

Windmill Point to the Graves Lighthouse - Trip Report

Post by Birdseye »

Some of you may have already read this trip report but I found it entertaining and worth a mention. Sounds like a fun trip.

Dave... you oughta like this one.

http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/Trips/BostonHarbor.html
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Ron

Post by Ron »

It sounds like one heck of a trip, but one I think needs a little bit more experience than I have now. Also a good guide.
Image P&H Cetus HV
Dave

Nice!

Post by Dave »

Very cool! Perhaps next summer we'll be up for that one. I think it is really time to get to work on my roll. I want to keep an eye open for some pool sessions during the off season.

Heading to the White Mountains tomorrow. Hoping to bag 3 more, the Pyramids and Osceola (sp?) Should be a beautiful weekend. I have to get all the gear stashed tonight, going straight from work tomorrow.

Allison seems to think camping on the Harbor Islands will be more fun in the fall. Anyone know anything about staying out there after Labor Day? I think we're talking about just putting in and hauling the kayaks into the brush. No rangers, no fees; what if we get caught out there heating up our oatmeal some morning? Any thoughts?
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Heading to the White Mountains tomorrow. Hoping to bag 3 more, the Pyramids and Osceola (sp?) Should be a beautiful weekend. I have to get all the gear stashed tonight, going straight from work tomorrow.

Dave,

I'll expect a trip report for get-outside.com by the end of next week :D
Dave

Trip report

Post by Dave »

I'll pack a writing pad and a pentax! :lol:
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Dave,

I'll expect a trip report for get-outside.com by the end of next week

And plenty of pics of those waterfalls you told me about.
Dave

No Waterfalls

Post by Dave »

We're not doing that one this time. We didn't reserve a site, all the AMC Sites are probably going to be full, we went to get reservations too late. We're actually doing the tail gate camping at a private campground, then driving to the trail heads each morning. Allison's been pouring over the White Mountain Guide and the maps picking out our day trips. She picked out a couple of good ones. We're actually going to be south of the Kankamangus (sp) down near Waterville Valley. We'll definitely be doing 13 Falls again, it was absolutely gorgeous!
Birdseye

Re: No Waterfalls

Post by Birdseye »

Dave wrote:We'll definitely be doing 13 Falls again, it was absolutely gorgeous!

Oh I thought this was going to be your first time doing that trip. So you've done it before. Do you have pics of it??
Dave

It was a strange weekend

Post by Dave »

We had planned a 4 day weekend leaving Friday, this was last fall. We got a call Thursday that my sister had a bad turn, but we went on the trip. By Saturday morning I was out of my mind so we cut the trip short, hiked out, and drove accross Vermont and back to Rochester. Had a lot of those strange weekends in the last few years. Anyhoo, we really want to do it again, and be able to relax and enjoy it. It is a great spot! Probably the best of the backwoods sites we've stayed at. Nice to have a flat walk in with all the gear along the river. That pack gets heavy fast when you gotta climb. Mabe later this fall we'll do it again. I really have to quit this whole working thing, it keeps cutting into my hobby time. No pics from that last visit.
chpaton

Re: Off season camping on the Harbor Is.

Post by chpaton »

Dave:

Check the Harbor Is. web site for details regarding how long the rangers stay on duty and on what particular islands.

If you go to one of the islands with seasonal camping you're more likely to have to deal with authority in the early off season. If you go to one of the remoter islands you won't have to worry at all (Calf, or any of the Brewsters except Little).
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango