TideRace Xplore-S

noseykate

TideRace Xplore-S

Post by noseykate »

I demoed this boat as an all-around (expedition and day-trip) boat for an experienced small paddler using a greenland paddle. Turner Wilson brought one down for me from Maine to try at Nantasket Beach on a cold afternoon with some small dumping surf. The boat is composite, heavy duty British layup so it's a weighty boat. Very narrow at 20", 17.5' long, and 12" deep behind the cockpit - so it's fast and very easy to roll.

When I was first paddling out through the surf I thought the boat to be confidence-destroyingly tippy. But then I tried a balance brace and realized that it will lay on its side forever with no effort - outstanding secondary stability. There are virtually no chines on this boat's hull so it rolls smoothly, but it needs to be leaned to the gunnels to bring the boat around with any precision. The length and narrowness gave it plenty of speed for catching a ride on a wave, but it took some effort to pull off the wave before it broke - again, the lack of chines added to the difficulty here. The cockpit design allows for a very comfortable leg position which also makes for easier forward-finishing rolls (according to Turner. I didn't try any).

It's a well-thought-out design, with a fore and aft hatch, a day hatch, and a small fourth hatch just in front of the cockpit for small items with easy access. The fore deck is beveled on either side which minimizes the chance of hitting the hands on the deck while paddling (I've done this too many times....). There is a drop-down skeg. The boat has moderate rocker but not as much as its zippier little sister, the Xcite-S. There are also full-size versions of these boats.

The boat remains on my list of possible next choices, although the price tag of $3700 is a bit daunting. Nice design though, and very kind of Turner to let me give it a try.

NK
Beanboy

Re: TideRace Xplore-S

Post by Beanboy »

Looks like the company has some neat kayaks...
-B
Epic V10S
Necky Manitou 13
Prijon Yukon Expedition
Old Town Discovery 169
KAYAK KEN

Post by KAYAK KEN »

Kate, thanks for the review! That is one of the boats that interests me the most. Initially because it's so darn nice looking and It's one of Aled Willsons designs of Rockpool kayaks. I have only seen an Alaw bach that I think Eddyline makes in the new thermo form construction. Good luck finding a new boat and keep your reports coming. Ken
tvcrider

Post by tvcrider »

Kate,
Thanks very much for your review of the TideRace Xplore-S. You are one of only two people who have written up reviews of this boat. It is on my short list along with the sporter Xcite S. At the moment I can't decide if I quite want a 'cruiser' or another rock gardening boat. Like you, one of the boats I currently paddle is an Avocet RM. I am so happy with the Avocet that I am leaning toward a cruising British-style kayak.

You are blessed that Turner was gracious enough to loan you his. As you probably know there are only two East coast dealers for TideRace. One in Georgia and the other in Manhattan! Living in Upstate New York the Manhattan dealer is obviously the closer for me, but I have no desire to drive into the City for a test paddle (traffic, tolls, parking, sales tax! :evil:).

I will be sending you a pm in regard to the TideRace Xplore-S.
Last edited by tvcrider on Sun May 09, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Safe paddling,
Joe

P&H Scorpio LV (MK2)

jgallowa at stny dot rr dot com
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

tvcrider wrote:Kate,
Thanks very much for your review of the TideRace Xplore-S. You are one of only two people who have written up reviews of this boat. It is on my short list along with the sporter Xcite S. At the moment I can't decide if I quite want a 'cruiser' or another rock gardening boat. Like you, one of the boats I currently paddle is an Avocet RM. I am so happy with the Avocet that I am leaning toward a cruising British-style kayak.

You are blessed that Turner was gracious enough to loan you his. As you probably know there are only two East coast dealer for TideRace. One in Georgia and the other in Manhattan! Living in Upstate New York the Manhattan dealer is obviously the closer for me, but I have no desire to drive into the City for a test paddle (traffic, tolls, parking, sales tax!).

I will be sending you a pm in regard to the TideRace Xplore-S.

Safe paddling,
Joe

I believe that Turner is making his boat available to anyone who is willing to stop by and pick it up for a spin. But he is away for most of the summer doing instruction throughout the country (and world).

NK
tvcrider

Post by tvcrider »

Kate,
Did you receive my pm?
Safe paddling,
Joe

P&H Scorpio LV (MK2)

noseykate

Post by noseykate »

tvcrider wrote:Kate,
Did you receive my pm?

yes, just thinking before replying!
tvcrider

Post by tvcrider »

noseykate wrote:yes, just thinking before replying!

Kate, no problem. I just sent you another detailed pm.
Best of luck in your search.
I know that I am always looking for my next kayak. :oops:
Safe paddling,
Joe

P&H Scorpio LV (MK2)