Kayak Racks for Crossover SUV

rkhederian

Kayak Racks for Crossover SUV

Post by rkhederian »

Last winter I bought a Honda CRV (very similar to a Toyota RAV 4, these cars are called crossover SUV's). I have the factory installed crossbars, and am using the old J-Bars that worked on my old car (a sedan). However, very difficult to load the kayak on these J Bars with the added height of the CRV alone.

I am looking at the Thule 881, Thule 883, or the much more expensive Thule 887 XT slipstream.

Any suggestions on what products work best? Please include Manufacturer and model number.

Thanks,
Bob
Chip

Re: Kayak Racks for Crossover SUV

Post by Chip »

Do you plan on loading from the back or side. If back loading is possible, the 883's are nice. I use them on my Tacoma. IF there is too much backside to load from the rear, you may need the slipstream. Another option is a bath mat for the back of your car while loading. It will allow some slide and the rubber bottom will help it stay with the car. IF you ahve the side load you may not get much benefit from changing from J cradles. You may not have to lift as high but you have to get it out further on the roof. Not easy holding a boat over your head and a foot in front of you.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
rkhederian

Post by rkhederian »

I plan on loading from the back. Thanks for the tip. Anyone else?
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

HI Bob,

If you have a receiver style trailer hitch, I'd suggest getting an outboard mast for the hitch and just utilize one of the factory crossbars. You'll have a nice long grab length and you can minimize your costs to put a good system on your vehicle.

Good Luck!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
rkhederian

Post by rkhederian »

Jordan, Do not have a trailer hitch.

What do you use, I believe that you have a Toyota RAV 4?
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi Bob,

I had customized my own rack extensions for my RAV.

It's a challenge finding a suitable extension design for a short cross bar spacing.
Attachments
2009_04190913060059 RESIZE.JPG
2009_04190913060059 RESIZE.JPG (83 KiB) Viewed 22948 times
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
specialk
antispam: No

Post by specialk »

Bob,

I have a Rav-4 and have installed J-hooks. I load the kayak from behind.
I place a rubber mat on the roof just behind the roof racks and top it with a towel.
It protects the car and the towel allows the kayak to slide easily. I also use gloves
that are rubber ribbed to get a good grip so the kayak doesn't slip through my hands.

Donna