Thursday Night Skills Sessions 2010

kayakerjnj

Thursday Night Skills Sessions 2010

Post by kayakerjnj »

Greetings All,

The Thursday Night Skills Sessions have become a recurring seasonal club activity, and we're ready to start the 2010 season!

We're proposing that we start these on May 27th at Camp Kiwanee. The water should be warmed to a reasonable temperature for early season skills by then.

As always we recommend the use of cold water attire just in case it’s still cool, we'd strongly suggest bringing some nose plugs. You'll appreciate them after the first dunk or two. :P

These are casual, fun, completely flexible sessions where anyone and everyone can work on what they wish to, either alone or with the help of some the many skilled and talented people that have become regulars over the years.

Practice your paddle strokes, self / assisted rescues, work on that high brace, and for those who enjoy getting wet, learning to roll might be fun for you too!

These skills sessions were first started by Mark Stephens quite a few seasons ago, and I know these sessions have helped many many folks become more capable, confident and safer on the water. For me, I learned a great deal from them, and thoroughly enjoyed attending them!

This our clubs way of “paying it forward”, to offer to all of our members and fellow paddling enthusiasts a chance to become better paddlers amidst a fun group of people who truly enjoy being on the water

We're looking forward to a great season ahead! Join us!

Here's the skills location.

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=&ie=UTF8&q=camp+kiwanee+hanson+ma&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Camp+Kiwanee&hnear=Camp+Kiwanee&cid=0,0,8421473857339713658&ei=RWrXS_a-KIP_8Aaqn7CEBg&ved=0CAcQnwIwAA&ll=42.058295,-70.850701&spn=0.011646,0.032938&z=16
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
noseykate

Re: Thursday Night Skills Sessions 2010

Post by noseykate »

Starting time?
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Thanks Kate :oops:

Starting time is 6PM, typically many of our regulars get there a wee bit earlier, so don't be surprised to find a few wet turkeys already in the water when you arrive.

These sessions go until it gets dark or when you're sufficiently spent :wink:

Then we head to our customary PPR.

Jordan
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

PS: One of our members was kind enough to speak with the Town of Weymouth Recreation Department inquiring about are possible use of Whitman's Pond as another Skills Session location. Gary was succesful in gaining approval!

Thursday Nights have been our default evening for this activity, however if anyone wants to have a skills session at another time and place please feel encouraged to post your interest.

Jordan
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

HI, WHAT IS A "PPR"?, JOHNBOY
Johnnyboy
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

johnboy wrote:HI, WHAT IS A "PPR"?, JOHNBOY

A PPR is a fine WT tradition of a frosty beverage of your choice, either in the parking lot, or a local establishment of ill repute, often accompanied by a meal. More often than not at said establishment, the entertainment is some waitress picking on Nelson the entire time, very much worth the price of admission. Highly recommended...
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Make sure you inquire about a Mexican Pizza :P

Another staple food of PPR :lol:

Jordan
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Speaking of PPR waitresses. I saw our friend from the Indian Head pub in Hansen at a biker rally in Brant Rock. She looked like she fit right in.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Which one, the biker bartender with the sharp wit, or the other one who's clueless and been waiting on us?

Jordan
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

No 2
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

Hi i want to thank you all for the enjoyment of
explaining what a ppf was. i enjoyed the picking
on Nelson part. Your all good guys. with smiles
Johnboy
Johnnyboy
Chip

Post by Chip »

johnboy wrote:Hi i want to thank you all for the enjoyment of
explaining what a ppf was. i enjoyed the picking
on Nelson part. Your all good guys. with smiles
Johnboy

C'mon Johnboy, get with the program. It's PPR not ppf. :lol:

We don't have many rules but that one is sacred. :mrgreen:
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

Chip wrote:C'mon Johnboy, get with the program. It's PPR not ppf. :lol:

I'm sure we can come up with something so we can have a nifty new acronym...let's see..

Post-Paddle Fallout
Pre-Paddle F**kup
Previous Paddling Fiasco...

The relevant possibilities are endless. 8)
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Post Paddling Feast :lol:

Jordan
Jack Z

Post by Jack Z »

Chip - being a State Street comrade - I'm glad to see you can keep your "PPR"'s straight and in the right priority!!!
Chip

Post by Chip »

You know it Jack. It has been a rough few years but they will never be able to take away my right for PPR.
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

Look, i am old, and sick. it was just a typo ! can anyone buy that? slim !
I like all the options. i think yoiu guys made quite a joke of it. Johnboy
Johnnyboy
Astrid

Post by Astrid »

I would love to join a skills session. (It's not like I really <need>to know how not to drown or anything. It's just a "nice to know")
The problem is that there is NO way I can get to the south shore from Boston via Holliston by 6 on ANY evening of the work week. Would people be interested in weekend sessions?
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

Astrid wrote:I would love to join a skills session. (It's not like I really <need>to know how not to drown or anything. It's just a "nice to know")
The problem is that there is NO way I can get to the south shore from Boston via Holliston by 6 on ANY evening of the work week. Would people be interested in weekend sessions?

Yes, I will be trying to find weekends to hold practice sessions. I believe that John (johnnysmoke) has the same idea in mind. Thursday nights are hard for me too, but skill sessions are important. Perhaps we can incorporate some skill development into our weekend ramblings. A little roll practice, a little wet exit and rescue - everyone benefits.

Also, does anyone know if Ames Nowell would be a suitable pond for non-ocean weekend skill sessions? It's a little farther north, might be easier to get to for some. It looks like it might be shallow and weedy though. Anyone boated there?

NK
norm

Post by norm »

noseykate wrote: Also, does anyone know if Ames Nowell would be a suitable pond for non-ocean weekend skill sessions? It's a little farther north, might be easier to get to for some. It looks like it might be shallow and weedy though. Anyone boated there?
NK

I have not been there this year yet, but your suspicion is correct, it is very weedy and shallow. It's not very convenient to get to either, unless you live in Abington. And, you cannot drive down to the water to drop off your boat now that there are no rangers around to open the gate, so it's about a 300 yard hike with your boat to get to the water...if you get a close parking spot.

A better, more convenient choice might be Whitman's Pond in Weymouth? I don't know how that water is, but the location must be easier to reach than Abington. I believe somebody inquired with the town also, and got the ok to use that area for practice.
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

I'd love to do some weekend skills sessions, and they can be anywhere where the water quality is good.

Lake Nippenicut, Norton Reservoir, Ashland, Hanson, Walden Pond, you name it.

Just propose a day and venue, and we can make it happen.

Jordan
Astrid

Post by Astrid »

Ashland is a nice little lake. There are some shallows and beaches. I like to hop over there for a quick paddle. There is at least one parking lot where you park less than 20 yds. from the water. And it's never particularly crowded.

I'd (selfishly, I'll admit) suggest going a little west for sessions rather than south from the usual hangouts. I think there are a bunch of us land-locked paddlers who have a hard enough time getting to the shore. Take pity on us poor souls. (sob) Unless global warming speeds up, our yearnings for easy ocean access will ever be unanswered. (long sad sigh)
Seriously. I think it'll help get more people involved in weekend paddling trips as they get acquainted with a fun group of people and as confidence improves.
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Pick a Sunday that you want to schedule a skills session and I'll come to Ashland :)

(I worked in Ashland in 1989) wow that's a long time ago LOL

Jordan
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

Hay Guys, Whitman pond might be a problem, although i kayak there,
it has always been told to me that it is very dangerous, because it is
or was an apple orchard, that is now covered with water, and has many
tree branches and stumps under the water. unless someone can check
that out, i don't know about a skill session. anyone have ideas about that
being true or not? Oh, and are there any demo days coming up? Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Why don't you guys just set up a skills session on a weekend for Cohasset or Hingham harbor at high tide? Lots of out of the way places you can work on skills...
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

Johnysmoke wrote:Why don't you guys just set up a skills session on a weekend for Cohasset or Hingham harbor at high tide? Lots of out of the way places you can work on skills...

I think the idea was to have warmer water to work with. But hey, why don't YOU set up a skills session at hingham at high tide? I'd come help.

NK
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

Hay, i think i was wrong about Whitman pond being an apple orchid,
i was thinking of pond meadow. sorry Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy
wildwoman

Post by wildwoman »

You are correct, Whitman's pond used to be an apple orchard. They filled it up by damming up the southwestern flow to the Back River.

I'm out on it a couple of times a week. It's lovely. There is parking available on the Lambert Avenue side and then across the pond is a sandy beach but no parking. That's the area I would suggest practicing in.

PPR...hmmmm......don't know any dives nearby....or rather, I don't know any of the nearby dives....

See you in Hanson on Thursday
Barb
Chip

Post by Chip »

wildwoman wrote:You are correct, Whitman's pond used to be an apple orchard. They filled it up by damming up the southwestern flow to the Back River.

I'm out on it a couple of times a week. It's lovely. There is parking available on the Lambert Avenue side and then across the pond is a sandy beach but no parking. That's the area I would suggest practicing in.

PPR...hmmmm......don't know any dives nearby....or rather, I don't know any of the nearby dives....

See you in Hanson on Thursday

Denley's, Union Brewhouse
wildwoman

Post by wildwoman »

I knew Chip would know.

Best put in is boat ramp on Middle Street, lots of parking. Paddle across pond to beach on Lake Street for practice area.

I always wanted to try the Union.

Do they have BURGERS?
Barb
Chip

Post by Chip »

I am pretty sure they have a regular pub menu. I know for a fact they many, many types of beer.
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

whitmans is so central, or am i wrong?
Johnnyboy
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

and we have permission!!!!
Johnnyboy
Astrid

Post by Astrid »

We are starting a Metro-West friendly skill session every other Tuesday at Ashland. First session this coming Tuesday (6/15).

There is a thread going parallel to this w/ maps etc.
I hope some of you that have expressed interest can make it.

I hope to see you on the water!
-A
bevbarnard

Post by bevbarnard »

Nice! 15 minutes from my office - can't wait!

Cheers,

Bev.
Bev Barnard
Cell: 617 460 5210
Epic 18x
Current Designs Extreme HV
Jane

Post by Jane »

Can't go this week - swamped with interfering stuff to do- will be there in the future as it is MUCH more convenient for me
Jan Seery

Post by Jan Seery »

Love the idea of additional weekend skills sessions - gives me much more flexibility! Wish I could offer some advice on places to go, but as a newbie, I look to you folks for that info! Hey, is the water warm enough to attend the alternate Thursday Hingham launches without cold water attire? I'm good to go for NEXT Thursday's skill session (got the missing Thule parts!)
/jms
Wilderness Systems Pungo 120

cgr

Post by cgr »

Jan Seery wrote: Hey, is the water warm enough to attend the alternate Thursday Hingham launches without cold water attire? I'm good to go for NEXT Thursday's skill session (got the missing Thule parts!)

That is a personal preference and also depends on the air temp. But I have been out with just a rash guard or splash top and have been comfortable.

I was also wading a bit at the first Hingham session and I imagine that it has warmed up since.
csullivan

Post by csullivan »

Hi there, I'm new to this web site, and I am very interested in joining your group. I have been following the site for a couple of days now and enjoy the banter between one another. I think I should participate in a skills clinic before I venture out on one of your excusions. I wouldn't want to hold any one back...Is there a skill session tomorrow night in Hanson? What time is the session?
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Hi csullivan,

We alternate weeks between Hingham and Hanson.

When high tide is near early evening hours, we paddle out of Hingham Harbor. This isn't a skills session. On the alternate weeks when it's low tide on Thursday evening, we do the skills session in Hanson. This Thursday is the Hingham outing. Next Thursday (June 24) will be the skills session in Hanson.

More info on the Hanson skills sessions: http://www.wtpaddlers.org/skills.html
More info on the Hingham Harbor paddles: http://www.wtpaddlers.org/thursnight.html
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com