Rough weather skill session?

pat
Site Admin

Rough weather skill session?

Post by pat »

I'm not sure what the best way would be to do this, but I was thinking that it might be beneficial (and who knows - maybe fun!) if we had a skill session in slightly rough waters. I imagine that this would be tricky to plan. It's difficult to predict that the waves will be 1'-2' on such-and-such a date. I remember when I was coming back from a graves trip and going through Hull Gut that they were perfect conditions. Although after a trip, no one was in the mood for skills training. We were more in the mood for PPR.

Sure, I can do a self or assisted rescue on the pond in Hanson, but chances are I'm not going to be capsizing on flatwater.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
kayakerjnj

Re: Rough weather skill session?

Post by kayakerjnj »

Rough water skills is what we all hope to acquire.

Kate, Mark, John and others have mentioned lots of spots including Little Harbor, new inlet etc.

Padanaram a couple of seasons ago had some nice lumpy conditions in the area especially as the south westerlies kick up intermittently.

John and Kate have one scheduled on a weekend coming up soon, it should a blast :)

Count me in:)
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
pallen661

Re: Rough weather skill session?

Post by pallen661 »

Pat-

You can almost always count on a little lump (rough water) under/after the bridge at full flood in Little Harbor, Cohasset. Nice part is that if one can't handle the rougher water, you're quickly washed into the flat water of the pond and it's deep enough you don't really need a helmet. Only bad news is that most can't paddle out of the pond until 1 hour after high tide when the current reverses, so you have to plan the trip with the tides in mind.

Phil
---
P&H Cetus MV, black over white with red tape
Necky Jive, Orange swirly things