Sunday, June 13 Skill Session - Revised

noseykate

Sunday, June 13 Skill Session - Revised

Post by noseykate »

Well, it looks like John will have to work on this day, and the tides don't quite work for us this weekend, and the weather is still forecast for rain (but not wind). However, the surf forecast looks better than last week.

I'm still willing to go, rain or shine, and offer whatever knowledge I have. John's better at the group leadership training, but I can cover some of it in his stead. We can work on wet exit and rescues, braces, strokes - rolling if that is what people want. Then move to the outside and try surf launches and landings. Anyone who wants to try some surfing (assuming the waves are friendly) could then head out - giving support to one another.

Does this sound worthwhile? I will count on all of you to offer teaching of the skills that you have.

I'm looking at launch at noon (high tide is at 12:45, so we won't have to push too hard to get out). We can return whenever we're ready, with the tide helping us.

Please let me know here if you plan to attend, given this change of plans.

Looking forward to it!

NK
Brent

Re: Sunday, June 13 Skill Session - Revised

Post by Brent »

Count me in, rain or shine. No lightning please.

Brent
wildwoman

Post by wildwoman »

kate, whats the water temp at the Spit these days?
Barb
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

wildwoman wrote:kate, whats the water temp at the Spit these days?

I dunno. The GOMOOS buoy offshore says 60 degrees.
lora925

Post by lora925 »

Sorry Kate, I wish I could join you but I already had/have plans to meet with up a WW group from CT. We will be paddling some where on the Deerfield in the morning. So I will be getting some instruction tomorrow - just in a different location :) Hope to catch you when/if you do this again.
rkhederian

Post by rkhederian »

I am going to pass, given the rain.
Bob
Otter1

Post by Otter1 »

I will have to pass also--I'm still recuperating from blisters on my blisters from hiking and I regret to say it, but at this point I am a more fair weather newbie kayaker, not to mention traffic leaving the Cape on Sundays...
I just got a Pamlico 135 tandem kayak a couple of weeks ago that I may just take out on Peters Pond (in my back yard--no traffic headaches!) with my son instead if the weather cooperates. Turns out he is available this Sunday to do something.
I do hope to meet everyone soon, and get my Tempest back in the water...
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

Quite all right, everyone. I know it's quite a change of plans from last week. Nevertheless, Brent and I are going to practice on the North River and see what we feel equal to from there. Looks like the rain prediction has been downgraded. And for those of you who like to surf, the surf prediction is pretty good and user-friendly.

Anyone who decides at the last minute to join us - come on out at noon.

Lora - you will have a wonderful time! I look forward to hearing about it.

NK
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

Brent and I had perfect weather for our afternoon at the Driftway - calm, no wind, no rain, warm, with a beautiful mist softening the surrounding marshland. We went over safety gear, on-the-water paddle signals, group communication, various strokes (forward, sweep, reverse sweep, stern rudders, low and high braces). Then we paddled out to the spit. It was quite calm there, the gentlest I've ever seen. We stretched our legs with a walk on the spit to see if we could see ANY breakers. There were some well offshore, nothing on the beach. We paddled back against the increasing current - a bit tough right at the spit but then much easier on the river. As we approached the put-in, Barb showed up, headed outward. (How was your trip, Barb?)

When we got back to the boat launch, Brent wanted to try some rescues. He knew how to do a paddle float rescue but hadn't done one where someone else helped. We tried one - he was in his boat again in no time. I couldn't have asked for an easier student!

It was a good afternoon in a beautiful place. For future reference, best not to schedule any surf lessons there at high tide - nothing much is there.

thank you, Brent, for a lively skill session!

NK
Chip

Post by Chip »

Thank you Kate for putting this together. Hopefully you won't be discouraged by the turnout and maybe do another one later with John. I helped out Pat on his trip on Saturday and 2 paddles in one weekend are not family friendly. :D
I know I have a lot to learn in rougher water.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

Chip wrote:Thank you Kate for putting this together. Hopefully you won't be discouraged by the turnout and maybe do another one later with John. I helped out Pat on his trip on Saturday and 2 paddles in one weekend are not family friendly. :D
I know I have a lot to learn in rougher water.

If there's interest, my offer stands. Maybe we could do one just for rougher water (easy surf).

btw, I believe we are now near neighbors. So if you want to do an impromptu trip out to the driftway or cohasset to up the skill level, shoot me a message. It's pretty easy to twist John's arm to join in such trips :)

NK
Chip

Post by Chip »

That sounds great. I'll keep that in mind.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Beanboy

Post by Beanboy »

Beanboy's lateness strikes again...grrr.

Definitely need to practice in the soup. Easy surf sounds just about perfect for my current skill level. And looking at aerial photos, there appears to be a nice long run of soup.
-B
Epic V10S
Necky Manitou 13
Prijon Yukon Expedition
Old Town Discovery 169