low brace turn outside edge

cgr

low brace turn outside edge

Post by cgr »

pallen661

Re: low brace turn outside edge

Post by pallen661 »

never saw what, the "offside" tilt? It comes naturally if you turn to look where your going to initiate the turn.

phil
---
P&H Cetus MV, black over white with red tape
Necky Jive, Orange swirly things
cgr

Post by cgr »

The bracing on the offside edge(which I guess is the side that you'd most likely tip towards) is new to me.

I would just keep paddling or try one of the combos here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98eIKPVsNAs
pallen661

Post by pallen661 »

Kinda funny that he's an ACA l5 instructor; in his demo he keeps looking at his paddle. While this encourages rotation, it diminishes stability and also reduces the ability to effectively edge the boat correctly (at least for our long a$$ sea kayaks). It's worth trying this sometime on calm water (saying this for all), compare looking at the paddle (which edges on side) to looking at where you want to go (which edges off side). For me, looking where I want to go and sweeping on the opposite side frees up the stern to slide across the water. Looking at the paddle doesn't free up the stern, probably because I've edged to the less effective side, and the arc of the turn is much greater.

Phil
---
P&H Cetus MV, black over white with red tape
Necky Jive, Orange swirly things