Newbie in need of lesson/pointers.

guitbit
antispam: No

Newbie in need of lesson/pointers.

Post by guitbit »

I just bought my first kayak (folbot greenland) and would like some lessons/pointers. Does anyone know of a place on the South Shore that does this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance.
Ken R

Re: Newbie in need of lesson/pointers.

Post by Ken R »

Welcome to the group. Keep your eyes on this forum. We go to Camp Kawanee in Hanson every other week to practice and help others. I don't know if it is this week or next.
KR
guitbit

Post by guitbit »

Thanks Ken, I'll check that out. I was hoping to get something in this week while I'm on vacation. I'm happy to pay for it if I can arrange it. If you know anyone who does this sort of one-on-one let me know. I should think 2 hours would be sufficient as I only plan on doing flat-water, recreational (read "mental decompression") kayaking.
josko

Post by josko »

I notice that Osprey Sea Kayak has a 'Kayak touring' (ACA Level 2) course this Saturday (9/6) and a 'Wind, current and waves' (ACA level 3) class this Sunday (9/7): http://ospreyseakayak.com/kayak-instruction/classes/

They're in Westport (on the south shore), and Carl Ladd is an extremely gifted kayaking instructor. They may well be able to arrange a private class earlier, as well.

Rhode Island is a bit further away, but Greg Paquin may be able to schedule a private BCU 2* type class this week. Might give him a call at http://www.kayakwaveology.com

You willo not go wrong with either one of those instructors.
guitbit

Post by guitbit »

Thanks Josko! I did just find that Nantasket Kayaks seems to offer instruction as well. I'm going to check on that later today.