amc whitewater class

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

cgr

amc whitewater class

Post by cgr »

This past weekend I took the whitewater class that the NH amc paddlers puts on every year. They take admissions in jan & feb; and someone usually calls for more background info before you know if you're in in early March. They have separate sections for kayaks, single canoes, and tandems. In the tandems they pair you with an experience paddler.

The class was in Henniker, NH which is near Pats Peak ski area. I stayed a motel around the corner from the mtn. The first morning was on a flatwater section of the Contoocook river; however because of the snowmelt even this section had some current. The kayakers were broken up into 3 groups, the group I was in had 4 students, 2 instructors and a safety boater. The safety boater's 12 yr old daughter was one of the students.

First session was mostly basic strokes fwd & reverse and steering with stern rudder & reverse. Also some leaning and sculling and introducing eddy turns.

After lunch we were upstream of town in with faster moving water. My understanding is that the section that they normally use was washed out and the section that runs through town was to rough to use. We launched while someone kept pointing out poison ivy which was all over the area. There was a large support for a bridge that produced an eddy that we practiced entering and exiting. With 7 boats a single eddy could get a little crowded at times. We also practiced ferries back and forth.

We moved down river and would practice these eddies as the current got stronger. Entering one of them I don't think that I had the boat leaned enough and I capsized... I was able to roll up in my 1st roll on a river.

I continued on and was leaving an eddy and attempting to follow the instructor across before heading into the rapid. I think that I exited the eddy to low rather than leaving at the top; so I was probably more downstream and heading towards rock. Which I almost made it over... The boat stopped and then got washed over, and I was then upside down in the hole behind it. I tried to roll but the boat wouldn't move. I got out and kept 1 foot in the boat. It still was staying in the hole. Someone said to let go and I went for a swim down river.

I made it too shore and the hole eventually let go of my boat. One of the other students was swimming at the same time, so when my boat was recovered it was down river. The bank I was on was steep with no place to walk. I ended up climbing the snowbank kicking steps in my smooth soled booties. And then walking along the top of the bank in snow that was knee deep or higher, postholing thru every other step. After a rest I got back in my boat and had to seal launch down this steep snow bank back into the river - I think I was the most suprised that I stayed upright.

We kept on down river and I got flipped in an eddy again - not enough lean. It takes me a while to learn some things. javascript:emoticon(':shock:')
Shocked

I tried to roll twice but for whatever reason I wasn't happening. I probably should have tried 3 times. I got out and at least was smart enough to aim for the side of the river where the sun melted the snow.

The rest of the trip was uneventful. We had a dinner that was catered by the youth group from the church that the school was held at. There were a couple of presentations on reading the river before and after dinner.

Day 2 was a run on the Sugar river which is class 1/2 with one class 3 drop at the lunch spot. I ended up passing on this run - my legs were cramping up in my sleep Saturday evening. While I have spent time in the boat over the winter I haven't spent more than 2 hrs at a time. And I'm sure that the post holing didn't help. I didn't want to have my legs cramp on me in the boat or if I ended up swimming.

To sum it up - the class was great. I forget what the cost was; I think it was around $100 or $120 depending if you are an AMC member. And if you didn't have a boat they have them. I would imagine that a 2 day class at Zoar is over $300?

I need to practice more eddy turns in current - so I will be under the bridge in Cohasset some time soon! And working on bracing; I should be able to brace if I catch my edges again.

No pictures - I found that my heavy gloves let me work the camera.

I wore a drysuit with polypro underneath. I had on midweight socks and then 3mm booties over the drysuit. Heavy gloves and a thin hood under my helmet. I was warm enough and comfortable the whole day. Most people were just wearing wetsuits and splash tops.
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Congratulations on your first Combat Roll!

Sounds like it was a great class. Major Kudos to you for taking it!

Jordan
Mark

Post by Mark »

Chris: Thanks for sharing your experience! The whitewater practice will make you a better sea kayaker, too. Let me know when you want to head down to Cohasset for some more practice. The Cohasset Eddy-Monster is a great skill-builder!

Was that Jessica Cuthman in your class? (The 12 year old?) She is already doing Class III stuff - amazing kid!

Oh, and truth be told, I swam on my first day in the WW School , too. :roll:
cgr

Post by cgr »

Mark wrote:Was that Jessica Cuthman in your class? (The 12 year old?) She is already doing Class III stuff - amazing kid!

No, If I remember correctly her name is Meghan. Her father works at Fidelity in Manchester if that helps ring a bell. But she did awesome!
norm

Post by norm »

Chris - thanks for taking the time to share. I have a feeling there are lots of people who enjoy reading your account of what it's like to learn all these techniques. I know I enjoy it! :D
KEN H.(KAYAK KEN)

Post by KEN H.(KAYAK KEN) »

Thanks for sharing your experience, I bet your mind was totally blown when you made that roll (this is were I would insert the l.o.l exploding emoticon if there was one ). It must feel great to build such a briliant paddling skillset to play with this season. Hope to paddle with you lots this year! Ken
Ron

Post by Ron »

You have had quite a busy "off" season. You will be paddling circles around a lot of us this year.
Image P&H Cetus HV