Hull Gut to the Graves and Brewsters

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

Birdseye

Hull Gut to the Graves and Brewsters

Post by Birdseye »

Had a great time with the nspn folks but I'm feeling it in my back. The weather was perfect and the seas had no surprises for us. We saw a couple of seals too.
<center>

</center>
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Dave

Seals!

Post by Dave »

Seals, very cool! I'm a little evnious of that, I must admit. Sounds like you had a great outing. A little sore is a good thing!
Todd

Post by Todd »

When can I see the trip report?
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Sounds like a good time. You had ideal conditions. Where's the trip report :wink:
Chip

Post by Chip »

I am curious about the pace and rest stops.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Birdseye

The Graves --- Trip Report

Post by Birdseye »

Here's the trip report. The pace was varied with 11 people out there but no one was very far behind anyone else. Each paddle was about 2 miles or so but many of us never got out of our boats at the Graves and stopped for about 15 minutes at Outer Brewster before heading over to Boston Light.

I was doing fine up until the last mile but if there had been more wind or waves it would have been a lot more challenging. I got lucky.

Here's the report - it's long as usual.

I arrived at Windmill Point at 9am on Sunday morning. No one else was there yet. I didn’t know if we’d be putting in right at the Gut or the West side. I decided to park by the beach area on the West side and wait for the others. It wasn’t long before I saw a red and white kayak pass by in my rear view mirror and park at the Gut. I went down and pulled in next to him. I introduced myself to Chip Weier (can you believe it… another Chip) and a few minutes later Mark Stephens pulled up and we all said our hellos. The water temp I heard was around 54 degrees and we were debating whether to dress for the water temperature or not. We decided to err on the side of caution and wear what we had brought for cold water.

We launched into the Gut two hours before high tide but the paddling was easy and soon we were clear of it. About ten minutes out Mark decided to do a little fishing and soon had a line in the water. Chip and I paddled slowly to the edge of the channel but after seeing that Mark wasn’t just taking a couple of casts and was now a good distance behind us, we decided to forge on. Mark has made a twenty mile crossing by himself so we weren’t too worried about him and figured he could take care of himself.

We paddled the 2 or so miles to Calf Island where we planned to meet Jason, who had put in at City Point and the six or so other paddlers who left from Winthrop. As we neared Calf we saw another paddler on a perpendicular course to ours heading towards Calf. I assumed the lone paddler was Jason and found my assumptions to be correct when we arrived. More introductions and then…. we waited. We sort of expected the other crew to either already be at Calf or at least be in sight. Jason got a hold of them on the vhf and found out they were on their way and from what they said, they should be insight. I grabbed my binoculars and climbed a rock for a better view. I scanned the water but they were nowhere in sight. While I was up there, Mark paddled in from his fishing trip with no tales to tell.

We waited a while longer but there was still no sign of the Winthrop group on the water. The four of us decided to head out and maybe we’d run into them. After a few minutes of confusing radio messages we decided to circumnavigate Green Island for something to do. Mark fished some more but still with no luck. We were about five minutes away from our landing spot on Calf when the Winthrop group radioed that they were five minutes away but it was actually more like fifteen. They finally made it around 11:30 where there were a lot more introductions and we decided to eat lunch. After and extended lunch break (an itchin’ to get back on the water) we headed out to the Graves. It was only about a two and a half mile paddle and went smoothly. When we were in photo range I got out the camera to take a few pictures while the rest of the group caught up. We paddled through the rocky opening throughout The Graves while the surf pushed us around and made it interesting. Next thing I knew Mark is up on the catwalk looking like a man on his porch getting ready to tell these kids with their hot rods to go play in some other neighborhood. The landing (if you want to call it that) at The Graves is very limited and a few people decided to get out while removing shards of gel coat from the bottom of their boats. As much as I would have liked to climb the ladder, I decided to opt out. This will give incentive to return again in the future (like I really needed any).

Paddling in and around the rocks I looked up and saw the face of someone I knew wasn’t with us earlier. We had heard Adam Bolonsky was on his way out but I wasn’t exactly sure where or when he would meet up with us. I guess it was here and now. He was already out of his boat and on the rocks at the base of the lighthouse with Mark. After helping a few others park their boats he was on his way up the ladder to have lunch on the catwalk. That was all I saw of him that day.

I noticed a seal back in the rocks and basking in the sun. At one point he seemed to cover his eyes with his flipper as if to say… “Please go away.” Sure I’ll go away but not before taking a couple of pictures. He blended in with the rocks so well that I wasn’t sure how the pictures would come out. But he humored me with a smile as I pointed my camera his way. Before we left I saw another seal’s head pop out of the water to check us out but some little girls on a nearby boat scared him away. One of the guys on the boat looked down at Jason and said “Are your arms tired?” He very cheerfully replied “No.” I was so tempted to say to him “Hey, is your wallet empty?” but I resisted the urge for a little gas pump humor.

So, we’d seen The Graves. It was an awesome experience to be out there but it didn’t have the same magic for me that Minot Light had. So while a half a dozen of us were still playing on the rocks, the rest of the group decided to paddle over to Outer Brewster with the plan that the rest would follow shortly. We made pretty good time on the two or so mile paddle to O.B. The beach where we landed was made up of larger stones but definitely landable. I got out of my boat and dragged it up a ways so others could land. We all got out, stretched our legs, ate a snack and relieved ourselves before taking in the views of the harbor from up on the hill. By now all members of the group except for Adam, his girlfriend Yvonne and Dee (from the Winthrop group) had made it to O.B. We decided our next destination would be Little Brewster and Boston Light and possibly take in a tour of the light.

So now we’re back on the water heading around the East side of Outer Brewster towards Boston Light. I looked at my skeg lever and instantly got a pain in my stomach. I tried to move it but it wouldn’t move at all. I’ve had quite a few rocks in my skeg box before but I know none of the rocks from that beach could have made it up there and I remember not putting the skeg up before we landed. Why should I remember now… I never have before? But up until today I’d been lucky. I did manage to move it up and down but I was sure I kinked the cable. “Damn!” I said out loud (or words to that effect). But my day gets a tad more interesting.

We paddled another 2 or so miles to Little Brewster and rounded the South side on our way to dock area. It’s three hours past high tide now and more rocks were exposed. I had been taking some pictures and was now the last paddler, just behind Walter, one of the Winthrop guys. He had decided to go to the right through a rocky passage so I took the left. I could see some rocks close to the surface but I’ve skirted over these in the past (but in the back of my mind it didn’t seem right). As I paddled over the rocks the swell subsided and I landed partly on the rock. My boat started to tip to the right and tried to force my way back up. If another swell had come in and lifted me up I might have made it…. but it didn’t and I went over. Walter was right there so I reached my arm up (more like flailed my arm up) and he grabbed hold. I then hip snapped the boat up avoiding a wet exit. As much as I would have rather not doing this, the cooling off was very welcome after being in the wetsuit all day when the weather was as warm as it was. The worst part of it all was that my skeg was now fully kinked and wouldn’t go back up at all.
I got out at L.B to see if I could fix it but to no avail.

At this point the two groups decided to part ways. Mark, Chip and I headed back to Windmill Point while the rest of the group headed toward Winthrop. Mark asked if we wanted to paddle around Georges before heading back. I looked over at Georges and said “I’ll do whatever you guys want to do.”, Chip agreed, so we headed towards George’s. We stopped for a while to communicate with Adam who was having trouble getting a hold of Jason and relayed a couple of messages before getting on our way. Mark asked again if we were sure we wanted to go to Georges first and I said, “I don’t have to, I’ve had enough fun for one day.” Chip agreed he’d be fine going back too, and so we pointed out boats towards the Gut.

We had about a mile and a half to go but after paddling for about fifteen minutes I felt the fatigue start to kick in. The sea became more confused as we neared Hull Gut and Mark and Chip started to pull away. I concentrated on my stroke but wasn’t able to gain on them much at all. Finally we reached a point where things mellowed a bit and it was a welcome break. We headed into the Gut for some more confused waves and current while dodging the fishing lines. I even had to yell “Wait!” to one of the guys getting ready to cast in my direction and I knew I was within his range.

We made it back to the put in around 4:00. That last mile was tough! We loaded up our boats and gear and Mark said “Hey… I think it’s Beer O’clock.” Unfortunately I had to pass (I know, I know, I can’t believe it either), I’m on a Sunday night bowling league and if I had a beer now I may not even be able to pick the balls up let alone throw them down the alley. So we all went our separate ways looking forward to paddling again in the future. It was a great trip and I’m looking forward to getting out there again.

And I even managed to bowl in the 80’s.

<a href="http://www.wtpaddlers.org/cgi-bin/pro/emAlbum.cgi?c=show_thumbs;p=Graves-Brewsters%20Nelson's%20Photos%2010-02-2005">Here are my pics from the trip:</a>

<a href="http://kayaking.pidgeoncoop.com/clips/graveslight.wmv">Here is a short video clip:</a> (Windows Media format)
Last edited by Birdseye on Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dave

Post by Dave »

180's?
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Dave wrote:180's?

I wish... it's candlepins.
Dave

Candlepin?

Post by Dave »

Oh, I've never tried that, they don't have that kind in Rochester. It's some sort of chowderhead variety of bowling, isn't it?
Birdseye

Re: Candlepin?

Post by Birdseye »

Dave wrote:Oh, I've never tried that, they don't have that kind in Rochester. It's some sort of chowderhead variety of bowling, isn't it?

It's started in MA. and found primarily in New England of which New York was not allowed to be part of. :D

You should try it sometime. A good way to let out your frustrations.
Dave

Candlepin

Post by Dave »

Yes, I've actually been meaning to try it. Allison has experessed an interest in going. As a transplant, I really do enjoy trying your quaint local traditions 8)

Looks like a great trip, looking forward to doing it myself.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Big balls and big pins is a better way to release frustrations. Smalls balls, no matter how hard you throw the ball, doesn't make the sound or the destruction of the pocket as NY Bowling.

Nice report Birdseye. I'm glad you had a good time.
Last edited by Todd on Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carolina Perception 14.5
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I got out the camera to take a few pictures while the rest of the group caught up.

That's our boy! It's nice to know you do the same thing to them that you do to us! :D

So what's the story with your skeg?
Last edited by pat on Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Dave

Rescue

Post by Dave »

Nelson,

Did you get as far as trying to roll out of it, or did he have your hand before you actually got that far? I've never swamped by accident, that is one thing that worries me: panicing and not remembering how to react! Very nice that he was there to catch your hand. When we did that drill at our class, I was thinking, "What are the chances that anyone is going to grab my hand before I just say screw it and exit!" I guess it actually works! Very cool!
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

:?:
Last edited by Birdseye on Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birdseye

Re: Rescue

Post by Birdseye »

Dave wrote:Nelson,

Did you get as far as trying to roll out of it, or did he have your hand before you actually got that far? I've never swamped by accident, that is one thing that worries me: panicing and not remembering how to react! Very nice that he was there to catch your hand. When we did that drill at our class, I was thinking, "What are the chances that anyone is going to grab my hand before I just say screw it and exit!" I guess it actually works! Very cool!

It was actually pretty shallow. If I wasn't so caught off guard (and green), I probably could have put my paddle on the bottom and pushed up. But because I knew he was right beside me I just leaned up and waved my hand. I was already completely over but was back up in about 15 seconds. I'm glad I didn't have to find out the other way.
Dave

Skeg cable

Post by Dave »

I don't know if it would fit, but the Necky titanium skeg cable is supposed to be completely kink proof. I had to re-attatch Allison's when it came of the skeg this summer and I can believe it, quite unbenable. Since you like to ram your skeg on the rocks :twisted: perhaps you should look into something like that!

(btw, just kidding. Sorry you messed up your boat. I was pretty annoyed when I chipped mine this spring!)
Birdseye

Re: Skeg cable

Post by Birdseye »

Dave wrote:II can believe it, quite unbenable. Since you like to ram your skeg on the rocks :twisted: perhaps you should look into something like that!

(btw, just kidding. Sorry you messed up your boat. I was pretty annoyed when I chipped mine this spring!)

I know one thing, my skeg cable seemed pretty damn unkinkable when I tried to unkink it. I'm surprised it even kinked. I didn't have very good leverage when I tried so I'll maybe now that it's up I'll be able to get at it better and straighten it out... (but I doubt it). Good thing it's almost winter.

BTW, no offense taken. I like to kid too. :twisted:
Dave

Post by Dave »

Birdseye wrote:
Dave wrote:II can believe it, quite unbenable. Since you like to ram your skeg on the rocks :twisted: perhaps you should look into something like that!

I know one thing, my skeg cable seemed pretty damn unkinkable when I tried to unkink it. I'm surprised it even kinked. I didn't have very good leverage when I tried so I'll maybe now that it's up I'll be able to get at it better and straighten it out... (but I doubt it). Good thing it's almost winter.

BTW, no offense taken. I like to kid too. :twisted:

I think you're probably just wasting your time, in my experience there's no unkinking a kinked cable. Course that's moslty been working on bikes and engines in my experience, but same principle. Just order the new part when you can swing it. You'll only get frustrated trying to straighten out the old one.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

I think you're probably just wasting your time, in my experience there's no unkinking a kinked cable. Course that's moslty been working on bikes and engines in my experience, but same principle. Just order the new part when you can swing it. You'll only get frustrated trying to straighten out the old one.

I've already looked into it. Looks like it might cost in the vicinity of $100 to have them replace it. :?
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

It sounds like something you can probably live without for the short term. You didn't use your skeg all that much, did you?
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

pat wrote:It sounds like something you can probably live without for the short term. You didn't use your skeg all that much, did you?

No but I liked having it if I get tired of all those corrective strokes. It lets you enjoy the paddle more.

I'm going to force myself to use it less or start paying people to remind me to put my skeg up before we hit the beach. :)
Dave

Do it yourself?

Post by Dave »

How much cheaper to just order the cable and put it in? You can probably find the part online? $100 is probably mostly labor, isn't it? Then you can spend all that money you save on refreshments for your paddling buddies!

(Although next time is definitely my turn! It didn't occur to me to pack refreshments for an 8:00 AM paddle. Definitely my turn next time.)
Birdseye

Re: Do it yourself?

Post by Birdseye »

Dave wrote:Although next time is definitely my turn! It didn't occur to me to pack refreshments for an 8:00 AM paddle. Definitely my turn next time.)

Dave rule number one. Always pack refreshments when paddling with the Turkeys! :lol:
Birdseye

Re: Do it yourself?

Post by Birdseye »

Dave wrote:How much cheaper to just order the cable and put it in? You can probably find the part online? $100 is probably mostly labor, isn't it?

I'd consider that but I want to make sure it's done right. Labor is $45 and by the looks of my skeg I wouldn't be surprised if you had to by a new skeg too. The cable is embedded right into it.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Here are the photos and a video from the Graves trip.

<a href="http://www.wtpaddlers.org/cgi-bin/pro/emAlbum.cgi?c=show_thumbs;p=Graves-Brewsters%20Nelson's%20Photos%2010-02-2005">Here are my pics from the trip:</a>

<a href="http://kayaking.pidgeoncoop.com/clips/graveslight.wmv">Here is a short video clip:</a> (Windows Media format)
Todd

Post by Todd »

Nice pictures Nelson. I just watched in in a slide show, and I will look with more detail later. I saw a couple of wooden yaks, didn't I? What model were they? What was the ratio of PTV/Kevlar/Composite? Was that a wide bottom boat that was rolling over on its starboard side? How many seals did you see?
Carolina Perception 14.5
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Todd wrote:Nice pictures Nelson. I just watched in in a slide show, and I will look with more detail later. I saw a couple of wooden yaks, didn't I? What model were they? What was the ratio of PTV/Kevlar/Composite? Was that a wide bottom boat that was rolling over on its starboard side? How many seals did you see?

Your just full of questions this morning.

There was one wooden yak. Design was by a guy in Watertown. The person who owned/built it (can't remember his name) didn't have the specifics on it. Very nice boat though and he used a greenland paddle which I tried out and realize I'm not ready for just yet.

All the boats that day were glass or kevlar with only 2 rotomold boats, mine and a WS Tempest.

The person rolling was Jason and I believe his boat was a Nigel Foster. A nice, very fast boat, probably somewhere in the vicinity of 17' x 21".

I saw two seals. One laying on the rocks and one that popped his head up out of the water.

Anything else?? :)
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

There was one wooden yak. Design was by a guy in Watertown.

Probably a One Ocean? http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Birdseye wrote:Anything else?? :)

What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Chip

Post by Chip »

Red no, Blue. AAAAAHHHHH!
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

pat wrote:
Birdseye wrote:Anything else?? :)

What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Ask and you shall receive

http://www.style.org/unladenswallow/
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi Nelson.

Awesome photos! Love those lighthouses.

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

NorwayLady wrote:Hi Nelson.

Awesome photos! Love those lighthouses.

Bea

Thanks Bea. Long time no sea 8) .
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Aren't the NSPN folk going to file a trip report on their site?
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Chip

Post by Chip »

Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Sorry about that, I meant to put a link to that. Thanks Chip.

You wouldn't know it was our trip by the name of it.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Ah. The title didn't sound like the graves visit.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
jkates

Wild Turkey Trip reports!

Post by jkates »

I just found this site today and I must say the trip reports are incredible.

I need to find out how the 360 deg pictures were made.

As for the radio issue it was my fault.

When Adam was attempting to reach me and couldn't was due to the fact that I turned off my radio at Outer Brewster. I turned it back on after I did a roll and was shaking the water out of the speaker and I noticed that it wasn't on.

As for my boat It's a Ngel Foster Shadow 17'10" x 23".
http://www.fosterkayaks.com/Product_Shadow.htm The boat loves chop and waves, on flat water it's not a fast boat. I have yet to find a boat that fits better.

The skeg cable for the shadow is $16.00 CDN http://aol.paddlecentre.com/store/comer ... oduct=4234
<CENTER> -Jason</CENTER>
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Thanks Jason,

Glad you enjoyed the reports.

Pat, the creator of this site, is the master of the pano shots.

I enjoyed our recent trip in the Harbor. Hope we can paddle again sometime soon.

Nelson