Hingham Harbor - Memorial Day Easy Paddle - May 25, 2009

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

kayakstew

Hingham Harbor - Memorial Day Easy Paddle - May 25, 2009

Post by kayakstew »

Memorial Day, a relaxing a paddle, great time on Hingham Harbor.

Memorial Day started as a lazy day and while we had planned to get out earlier to paddle it seemed a big breakfast and large cup of joe were necessary to gain the gumption (and energy) to load up the kayaking, fishing and grilling gear. The plan was to enjoy the day, the water, the weather and get some exercise. We did just that. For the most part is was pretty standard paddle, though today paddling time was at a minimum and enjoyment of the outdoors was at a max.

Launched from the boat ramp, some folks returning from their morning paddle and still others departing as we were. Since it was about ½ tide I was a little concerned that it was getting low and didn’t want to be stuck with a long walk up the beach upon our return. Today it took a few extra minutes to get the kayaks loaded up. We had plans to do some fishing and stop on one of the islands to grill dinner, felt like we were planning a weekender rather than a day. With the hard work over and the yaks now stacked with 3 fishing rods, tackle, beverages, corn-on-the-cob, chicken legs and of course the grill were loaded up and ready to depart, Whew!

Life vests on and paddles in hand, we’re off. Dough, did I lock the vehicle? Thank science and capitalism for remote locking. Easy does it as we head off into the calm harbor, paddling of on the east side of the harbor, past the super duper nice houses. We ask ourselves the obvious question, who really lives in these places and how did the afford it. Then indulge our fantasy of “how awesome it would be to live in one”, each of us selecting a home as our favorite.

In no time at all we are right up next to Ragged Island. My stomach indicates it’s time for a stop (and some grilling). An arm twist, as my paddle partner suggests a swim given the nice warm weather. That’s all I needed. We beach on Ragged, unpack a towel and we are good to go. Since I had never been on Ragged, usually I stop on Langlee, we take a few minutes to explore and to select a good spot to take a dip.

Brrrrrrrr! Water not warm!
Whoaw! As I emerge from ducking under.
Ahhhh. Not so bad and quite refreshing.
Okay, that’s enough. Time to get out.

Unpack the grill, a beverage, and the food. Dry off as we await dinner. Corn is grilled perfectly, chicken is juicy in the middle and crispy on the outside, Yum. Not the Colonial’s recipe but still darn good. Wow, we were on the island for a while, but time to get’er movin. Pack-up and back on the kayaks, paddling between Sarah and Langlee across to Worlds End. Thought it might be nice to stop out at the end to do some casting and see if there might be a random striped bass hanging around. Hmmm, pretty slow fishing, still quite nice and relaxing. The view into the City is truly impressive. The sun lowering behind Boston’s buildings as the sky redden, can’t imagine paddling back and missing this sunset.

Sun has set and time to head back. While the fishing was uneventful, the sunset made up for it one thousand times. And of course, as we are paddling back to port, fish scurry swirling the water around the kayaks. No time to dilly dally, the suns down, it’s getting a little cooler and it’s time to call it a day. Turns out, we were out on the harbor so long that the tide was just about the same as level when we left. We missed the low. Nice!

All in all, a perfectly perfect day!

<<Summary>>
Stops: Ragged Island & Worlds End
Distance: 4 mls (approx)
Time: 2:30pm - 8:30pm (6hrs approx)
Weather: 70’s & Sunny, nice and warm when the sun was out, cool when not.
Water: cold (low 50's), clear, mostly calm until after sunset then the wind picked up from the East
Marine Life & Critters:
> gulls, gulls, gulls (ah-hum, Sarah Island)
> wading birds
> some swirls from fish
Route: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2864996
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Glad you had a good trip!
kayakstew

thanks

Post by kayakstew »

yeah, pretty basic stuff but i great day none the less...