Trip Report - Goose Point

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

getnoutside

Trip Report - Goose Point

Post by getnoutside »

Now that being out on the water is no longer advisable, I am catching up on trip reports. Here's my version of an earlier paddle with Pat, Chip, Nelson, and Ron.

http://www.get-outside.com/goosept.htm
Chip

Post by Chip »

Nice report. Reading these will help me get through the winter.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Thanks for the story Steve,

Every day I drive by Dorchester Bay on my way into work I wish it was summer again. But these cold days have forced my case of kayak fever into remission (which I find hard to believe) and I actually find myself thinking about other things (occasionally).

Looking forward to the spring fever though.

Have a great holiday everyone Image
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Dave

Merry Christmas Turkeys!

Post by Dave »

Great report, sounds like a fun day.

Saturday driving down Wollaston beach I got the urge myself, looked beautiful from inside my nice warm car. Can't wait till spring.

Hope everyone has great holidays, with lots of new kayak toys under the tree!
Chip

Post by Chip »

I just ordered my Christmas present. A new paddle from Onno Paddles. It won't arrive in time but soon after. Finally, a real paddle. :D
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

I recently ordered my Christmas present, as well... a new sailboat. http://www.cmdboats.com/mbirdk.htm Well, maybe just the plans for a new sailboat. The REAL present will be when my wife gives me the ok to start building (PLEASE SANTA... I've been good!!!!). Ok, so it's not a kayak.... but, one of the possible construction methods IS strip-built :D
Dave

Boat building

Post by Dave »

Neato!!! Looks sort of like a cat. So will you have to do steaming and bending? I've always wanted to try that. Fine woodworking had plans for a nifty steam box one of last years issues. Take lots of pictures when you get started!!
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Dave,

I shouldn't have to do any steam-bending if I go with the strip method. The strip are narrow and therefore very flexible on their own. MeadowBird is much more narrow than a catboat and the forward section has a lesser freeboard and isn't as full. Also, the bow profile is more concave. But, it's funny you mention it, because i'm seriously considering making changes to the plans that will give it more of a catboat look. Frankly, if I go forward with everything I'm considering, it will be a totally different design.
chpaton

Interesting design

Post by chpaton »

Steve:

The ketch version with the gaff rig looks really nice, but exactly how are you going to be able to use the tiller? :wink:

BTW - My christmas present in the form of the Hurricane Aqua Sport Tracer arrived early :D Next year I'm asking Santa for a Dry Suit so I won't have to stop paddling in winter :idea:
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango