Quincy Town River - April 7, 2010

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Quincy Town River - April 7, 2010

Post by norm »

I wasn't going to write a trip report about this evening paddle, but I got some interesting pictures, so what the heck!

Lora saw my posting looking for a paddling partner and had taken the day off from work with car trouble so we went paddling in her neighborhood. The wind was blowing pretty steady so we headed straight into it and into the Quincy Town River. This area might be boring for most people, but I've traveled this area all my life and had never seen it from the water side.

After we got a little way into the Town River, we went into a little inlet where the Quincy Lumber Company used to be and took a look at the old mill that they are trying to save. It's in pretty bad shape. I think the historical significance is that this was the first lumber mill powered by tidal water flow.

We saw an osprey take off from a telephone pole in a marsh.

We herded some geese out of the way...

To try to get a closer look at a Great Snowy Egret

We checked out all the little coves in the river. Is this a little early for dogwood trees to start blooming around here?

One of the yacht clubs has a whole bunch of pilings with satelite dishes mounted on them - haven't seen that before.

The only significant boat traffic was the commuter catamarans in and out of the Quincy Fore River shipyard.

The "temporary" Fore River Bridge.

We waited for the commuter boat to leave it's dock and then moved in to get a good shot of the U.S.S. Salem.

On our way back under the bridge, something large popped up to the surface a few times - maybe a porpoise? It had a dorsal fin. Didn't get a good shot of it because it was getting dark and it was hard to tell where it would surface next.

Here is a topo map showing the route we took.

Thanks for showing me around the area Lora.

A few stats from the trip:
Launch Time: 4:40pm
Take Out Time: 7:30pm
Total Distance Paddling: 6.2 miles
Participants: Norm(norm), Lora(Lora925)

Norm
kayakerjnj

Re: Quincy Town River - April 7, 2010

Post by kayakerjnj »

Great photos Norm!

See you soon!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Good report Norm.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Chip

Post by Chip »

Keep them coming Norm.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

Indeed...great stuff for those of us who aren't getting out.
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
Kayak widow

Post by Kayak widow »

Thanks for another thoughtful, well-illustrated trip report, Norm!

You almost (almost) make me want to take up kayaking so I could see porpoises, interesting yard decorations, all those great birds and plants, and the other side of that mill that draws my eye every single time I'm passing it on the road.

I am green with envy :mrgreen: that you all can be in the sun for hours on end :oops: But for now I'll have to continue to appreciate your trip reports and the stories I hear from my kayaker upon return from these great adventures :o 8)
Like a "football widow", I lose my spouse to kayaking for some part of pretty much every weekend :-)