Chatham Inner Harbors with AMC - 4/21/10

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Chatham Inner Harbors with AMC - 4/21/10

Post by norm »

The Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) has an active group of paddlers in Southeastern Mass. I signed up with the AMC for a rolling class this year and then also signed up to get email notices about all kayaking trips. It seems that they try to go out twice a week, on Wednesdays and Saturdays from what I've seen so far. Since I had the week off from work, I decided to join the trip in Chatham. It started in Oyster Pond at this nice beach parking lot with restrooms (not open for the season yet).

The parking lot did not have any resident restriction signs, so it might be available to all, year round. Right now, it seemed to be used as a meeting place for construction people working in nearby homes that had limitted parking.

After meeting everyone and signing in, we got ready to go. There were five kayaks and one canoe, seven people total.

We were headed out on a falling tide and came across clam diggers all day. It seemed odd to me to be paddling past people standing waist deep in water.

The group paddled down Oyster River.

At the inside of Harding's Beach, we came upon our first look at the lighthouse.

We headed out the channel where we could see some seals on North Monomoy Island. They took off as soon as Ed headed in their direction. I was only able to get a distant shot of one in the water that popped up to take a look at us.

While sitting in the channel, a few of us had to scurry out of the way of this strange looking fishing boat with some sort of dragging equipment.

Everybody pulled there boats up on a sand bar and walked over to Harding's Beach for lunch.

The tide was still flowing out fairly strong as shown by this channel marker. They told me that North Monomoy was right there in the background.

Looking north across Stage Harbor we could see Chatham Lighthouse in the distance.

Right behind our lunch spot was Harding's Beach Lighthouse which is now private property and has a fence blocking access. The light was missing from the top of the tower. I believe it is located somewhere else in town.

After lunch, we headed into Stage Harbor and came across more clam diggers.

There seems to be a healthy number of fishing boats in this harbor and very few pleasure craft right now.

This seagull wasn't spooked by our group paddling by.

Phyllis and Louise just before we reach the wooden draw bridge.

The wooden draw bridge.

Mill Pond

The end of the road - can't go any further at low tide - time to turn around and head back.

On the way back, we swung by a sunken sailboat for a closer look. Max estimated it is about 30 feet long.

We saw a Loon

And some Eider Ducks

A few clammers worked with long poles from the their boats - looked like very hard work.

On the way back, there were a couple bicyclists waiting to say hello to the regulars in the group.

The stuff growing on the rock foundation of this hose was a topic of discussion.

Another beautiful house with many windows.

Heading back up Oyster River.

The river has standalone docks all along the channel, ready for their summer recreational boats to be tied up to them.

There were quite a few pleasure boats already in the water but many more waiting in the boatyards.

The Chatham skyline from Oyster Pond.

Here is a topo map showing the route we took.

A few stats from the trip:
Launch Time: 10:30am
Take Out Time: 2:45pm
Number of stops: One
Total Distance Paddling: 9.8 miles
Participants: Norm, Gif, Max, Linda, Phyllis, Ed and Louise

It was interesting to paddle with a new group of people. They were surprised by the small number of paddlers that came out. Usually they get around a dozen people on a weekday trip.

Norm
kayakerjnj

Re: Chatham Inner Harbors with AMC - 4/21/10

Post by kayakerjnj »

Another fun trip report chalked full of great photos!

Thanks Norm!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
Kayak widow

Post by Kayak widow »

Thanks again for some great morning reading material, Norm! Love the videos!

The people standing in water with baskets on long poles are harvesting oysters. Clammers need the tide to be out, since they need to dig down in the sand or mud to get clams (and as the tide line fills the holes it's more difficult to get the clams). Oysters stay underwater, so people rake up clumps of solid matter (rocks, empty shells, small live crabs, an occasional bottle or can) with these baskets and sort through the contents to find the oysters. On a good day, one might find clumps containing a lot of oysters and not much of this other stuff, but it's still necessary to sort through to get rid of the "mudders" (empty, whole oyster shells that have been sitting under water for long enough that they've filled with mud, but they look and feel like good, whole oysters).

Now I'm homesick for shellfishing! :roll:

Always a pleasure to read your reports!
Like a "football widow", I lose my spouse to kayaking for some part of pretty much every weekend :-)
cgr

Post by cgr »

norm wrote:
After meeting everyone and signing in, we got ready to go. There were five kayaks and one canoe, seven people total.

Did Jordan lend his new boat out already? :lol:
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

LOL, mine has a black stripe :lol:

Plus I've already taped, reflected, modified bungies, outfitting etc. Now as long as the damn thing floats I'll be all set :P

I'm hoping to get out this coming weekend for its maiden voyage :D
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
EDGECRUSHER

Post by EDGECRUSHER »

Another great report from what must have been a very fun week. Way to get after it!