NSPN Solstice Paddle -Marblehead - June 19, 2010

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

norm

NSPN Solstice Paddle -Marblehead - June 19, 2010

Post by norm »

The North Shore Paddlers Network (NSPN) holds a get-together each year at the start of summer and invites all of the other Sea Kayaking Clubs in the area to join them for a paddle and a post-paddle pot-luck pig-out (PPPO). I don't know if they choose the same venue every year, but this year it was held at Marblehead Harbor. The launch parking lot and boat ramp was at Riverhead Beach and then the pig-out was held across the street at the pavilion on Devereux Beach. It was a very convenient arrangement with plenty of parking.

NSPN is a more structured group and had plans for three levels of trip difficulty, level 2, level 2+ and level 3. Leaders were chosen for each level and secondary leaders were ready to split off and create a second pod if the group seemed too large to be manageable. I did not notice how large the 2 and 2+ groups were. I can only report on the level 3 trip which Lora and I participated in. One more Wild Turkey Paddler, Audrey, was present but we did not meet her till the PPPO. Audrey participated in the 2 or 2+ trip.

As people arrived and unloaded their boats, they were directed to gather their boats on the beach in separate areas sorted by which trip they were taking. I believe there were 15 boats and 16 people for the level 3 trip. Suz, the woman in charge of level 3, gave the beach orientation and decided that there would be 2 pods and tried to split them up by what type of trip preference people had, rock gardening vs. distance, etc. Eventually we milled around and broke up into 2 groups and the pod Lora and I chose was a little less gung-ho to tackle rock gardening but brought helmets anyway. The leader for our pod was Scott. He did another equipment inventory and chose the radio channel we would use for the day before we headed out. Our pod had 7 boats and 8 people.

Just before we got into our boats, pictures were taken of each pod. Here is the pod led by Suz.

And here is the pod that Lora and I joined. I believe the names from left to right are: Scott, Tyson, Emily, Bill, Lora, Norm(me), John and Dave.

Marblehead Harbor is very big and crowded with boats.

The first leg of the trip was to head for the right side of the harbor and meet up at the Marblehead Lighthouse Point before heading out into open water. I did not get a good picture of the lighthouse because the sun was behind it (it wasn't a pretty lighthouse anyway). Here are Tyson and Emily in their tandem boat with Lora in the background, all listening to Scott give additional instructions and review paddle signals.

Our next destination was an island across a busy channel so our goal was to paddle 7 across in tight formation for better visibility in the heavy traffic. We were headed for Childrens Island which appeared to have a private residence on it and landing was not allowed. We made the crossing and gathered up at Cormorant Rock, beside Childrens Island, and chose to head out to the Dry Breakers and Gooseberry Islands next.

When we arrived at the Dry Breakers, someone noticed a seal in the water but it took off before I saw it. Then we noticed there was another seal up on the rocks so everybody got out their cameras to take pictures while we bobbed around amongst the rocks.

Next we headed to South Gooseberry Island.

We stopped on South Gooseberry Island for lunch.

We noticed the other level 3 pod landing on North Gooseberry.

The beach was a quite rocky as we sat to eat lunch and share stories.

All around us there were sailboat races.

After lunch I got up and explored this little island and took some pictures of the rocks and birds.

Between South and North Gooseberry Islands there is a bar where interesting wave formations can develop when the conditions are just right. Pretty tame in this picture but you can see one wave breaking on the bar.

Next we headed off to Eagle Island or maybe it was Coney Island where we made another short stop and decided what to do next.

The decision was to poke into Salem Harbor for a quick look and then hug the coastline to get out of the stiff breeze that had come up for the afternoon. Coming out of Salem Harbor we saw this odd sailboat.

Heading back to Marblehead Harbor we swung to the inside of Brown Island and Gerry Island and came to a beach/boat party area, with many boats anchored and people wading around.

When we got back into Marblehead Harbor, we had to gather up into a tight group again for the last leg of the trip through all the moored boats to the take-out beach.

After everyone loaded their boats onto their vehicles, we gathered across the street at the pavilion and shared in a pot-luck feast. I had proudly changed into my WTP t-shirt and was recognized by Audrey whom I had not met yet. Audrey is in this picture with her back to the camera.

After everyone had gotten a bite to eat, a few people brought out bins of extra paddling gear they wanted to get rid of and there was a quick yard sale. I think Lora bought the most gear and "saved" the most money.

Topo map of the trip route:

A few stats from the trip:
Launch Time: 10:30am
Stop for lunch: 12:00pm (Lunch break about 1 hour)
Take Out Time: 3:50pm
Number of stops: Two
Total Distance Paddling: 12.48 miles
WTP Paddling Participants: Norm(norm), Lora(Lora925), Audrey(Aquaholic)
Post Paddling Participant: Alice(Kayak widow)

Thanks to NSPN for hosting a nice day of paddling, refreshment and yard sale.

Thanks to Lora for riding up to Marblehead with me and to Alice for making a great chicken taco salad for the PPPO. Nice to meet you Audrey - I'm sure we'll paddle together eventually.

Norm
Kayak widow

Re: NSPN Solstice Paddle -Marblehead - June 19, 2010

Post by Kayak widow »

In the running for my new favorite picture is baby cormorants in their nest, with watchful parents and community members. Who gets to see that, ever, anywhere??

This was a fun event, despite the wind blowing the lettuce and taco chips around while constructing the chicken taco salad (this is an old favorite that I had not made in ages, and was included at Lora's request :)

Lots of nice people, amazingly delicious potluck offerings, and not a bad place to hang around while waiting for all of you kayakers to make your way across the road for PPPR.
Like a "football widow", I lose my spouse to kayaking for some part of pretty much every weekend :-)
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Awesome reporting, Norm!
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Another great spread of fun pictures from a great time on the water!

Thanks Norm!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
norm

Post by norm »

Kayak widow wrote:In the running for my new favorite picture is baby cormorants in their nest, with watchful parents and community members. Who gets to see that, ever, anywhere??.

To tell you the truth, I didn't even notice the baby cormorants till you mentioned it. I'm not very observant I guess...good thing I take pictures.