A short trip down What-the-heck-is-this Creek

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

pat
Site Admin

A short trip down What-the-heck-is-this Creek

Post by pat »

...Or: "Sue fought the tree and the... tree won." But more on that later.

While all you wussies were sitting in front of your wide-screens, Sue and I headed out on the first paddle of the season. (Sorry Bea - Florida doesn't count.) The other day, Doug mentioned that during the spring, the water is high enough so that you can paddle all the way from Webster Street near Green Harbor Golf Course to Green Harbor River and Rt 139. The water looked like it might be high enough, so we gave it a try.

It was interesting. This winding creek made Scorton's look like North River. There was no spot along the trip where it didn't look like it was turning into a dead end about 50 feet further. But the creek always made a sharp turn and continued. We paddled right up alongside a fairway at one point. Then we finally had a straight stretch where I was able to take several forward strokes in a row without having to back-paddle to turn. It was <i>very</i> exciting.

Ok, it wasn't Boston Harbor, but it was also the first trip of the year, and with my bout of elbow tendonitis over the winter, I wanted to start out carefully. This was perfect. Until...

I heard a shriek behind me. Turned out that Sue and a tree with low hanging branches were battling it out for supremacy. And since the tree had home court advantage, well... When I turned around to see what all the hubbub was about, I couldn't see anything but the bottom of Sue's boat.

Since Sue had spent a lot of time last year practicing her rescue skills, she was out of the water fairly quickly. The fact that the creek's deepest point was about 18" helped.

It took me a lot longer to get myself turned around to get back to help her, since I was trying to turn a 14' boat in a 12' creek. But I got back there and we managed to get most of the water out of the kayak and Sue back into it. With the goo-ey bottom of the creek, Sue was up to her waist in 33-degree water, so we decided to pack it in and head back.

Fortunately, we were able to pull out at the golf course and I just walked back to the car to bring it over. As we were tying the boats down, it started to rain, so it was just as well that Sue tipped over.

Right, Sue???
Last edited by pat on Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com

Post by Guest »

I have to say that even though the paddle turned into a bit of a fiasco, I'm still jealous. I was in New Jersey yesterday and every time I went outside I couldn't believe how nice it was and all I could think about was kayaking.

Was it just as nice here yesterday? Why didn't anyone go out.... or did you?
I imagined Chip on Whitman's Pond testing out his new Onno paddle yesterday. I don't even have my new truck rack built yet. I have get my ass in gear.

Sorry to hear you got wet Sue but at least you've done more paddling that I have this year.

Hurry up Spring, I don't know if I can take it much longer.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

The last post was from me, I forgot to sign in.

Nelson
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Glad everything turned out ok.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Well it just goes to show that Sue is the most dedicate of paddlers, willing to practice her wet exits and rescue drills right from the start to keep her skills sharp.
Image P&H Cetus HV
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I've got to hand it to Sue - through it all, what bothered her most was not the cold, but the fact that our trip had to be cut short.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Chip

Post by Chip »

Sounds like an adventure you will be talking about for some time. It's good to see Sue has the half roll perfected. :lol:

Nelson, I was also imaginf myself on Whitman's pond. Unfortunately, I was moving my sister on Saturday.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Todd

Post by Todd »

Sue,

You're the (wo) man!!!

I was in VT. over the weekend. Looking from the highway down on the White and CT. Rivers, and thinking about a Lake Champlain jaunt some day this summer.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
Sue

Post by Sue »

The funny thing is, we had been fighting tree branches all along this creek, but I never saw the one that knocked me over. It came out of nowhere. And it happened slow motion - as the tree started pushing me over (I swear it felt like it was on purpose), the boat starting filling with jet black filthy-looking water and I knew I was going in.

Thank goodness for our water rescue training last year, because I wasn't afraid. My first thought was to get out of the boat, which I did easily enough, since I was using a half skirt. My second thought on my way out of the boat was "Man this water is COLD!" As I stood on a log in the water, shivering and watching Pat attempt to turn his yak around, my third thought was "Damn, our paddle is over."

I was so bummed. I was laughing and cursing. It was too comical. And stupid. Pat helped me back into my kayak and we headed for a nearby shore near the golf course. He went to get the car, with the heat blasting, and helped me remove my freezing wet clothes and put on his dry sweats. For some reason I had thought to bring a towel, so I tried to dry off first. I was so cold I couldn't use my fingers, so he had to help me with that, too. It was a good lesson in how fast you can get hypothermia.

They say you're supposed to dress for the water temperature and not the air, and now I know why. I had a shortie wet suit (no arms and down to my knees) but I wasn't wearing it. I'm going to buy a full wet suit with feet. I have gloves, but I wasn't wearing them either. I was wearing water shoes, but they were loose and let the freezing water in. And I'll bet if I had been using a full skirt, it probably would have kept the water out and me afloat. Live and learn.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi Sue.

I am impressed how well you handled the situation. Mud baths are supposed to be good for the skin. Have you noticed a difference?

Would you recommend this paddle to anyone? Should we bring a pruing tool if we go?

I guess one thing we can learn from this is that it is always good to kayaking with a friend. Who would have though you could capsize in a tiny creek like this?

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

NorwayLady wrote:Hi Sue.
I guess one thing we can learn from this is that it is always good to kayaking with a friend.
Bea

...who is willing to help undress you after you fall in. I need to get some new friends. :wink:
Chip

Post by Chip »

get'n-outside wrote:
NorwayLady wrote:Hi Sue.
I guess one thing we can learn from this is that it is always good to kayaking with a friend.
Bea

...who is willing to help undress you after you fall in. I need to get some new friends. :wink:

Damn right you do! :lol:
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Damn right you do!

:lol:
Sue

Post by Sue »

You guys are too funny! NorwayLady, my skin is feeling a bit softer, now that you mention it... I would definately go again and maybe bring a chain saw and my bathing suit.