Woods Hole to Martha's Vineyard, for Ice Cream 8/14/10

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

noseykate

Woods Hole to Martha's Vineyard, for Ice Cream 8/14/10

Post by noseykate »

dora.jpg
dora.jpg (162.83 KiB) Viewed 13296 times

Dora looking a-dora-ble in pink.

Mark, Lora, Linda and I gathered at Woods Hole to make a crossing to the Vineyard. Hidden agendas lurked everywhere. I wanted to give my new kayak, Dora (the Explorer)(LV), a shakedown trip. Lora had some important shopping to do. Mark wanted ice cream from Mad Martha's. Linda wanted to survive.

We did a beach briefing and were off and out of Woods Hole in no time, flying along with the current. The Vineyard was far away. Linda savored each precious breath of air. We paddled.

paddle.jpg
paddle.jpg (57.63 KiB) Viewed 13296 times

Crossing at 1 mile.

Ferries came and went. Sailboats came and went. Probably bluefish came and went, but Mark didn't see them. He was dreaming of ice cream. We paddled.

paddle.jpg

Crossing at 2.7 miles

The Vineyard was a slim line on the horizon, and we were being pulled by the current sideways, watching the distant shoreline slip to our right. Lora considered the merits of mainland shopping vs island shopping. We paddled.

paddle.jpg

Crossing at 3.2 miles

Dora was charming in pink against the blue of the water. She and I were getting along with one another just fine. It was a good thing because.... we kept paddling...

paddle.jpg

Crossing at 3.9 miles

As we approached the shore, we hit some shallows with quite turbulent water. Linda took it as an opportunity to experience joie de vivre, lingering in the chaotic chop much longer than the rest of us. Mark looked a bit irritated, mumbling something about people holding him up from his ice cream. Lora didn't notice any turbulence, too busy checking that her cash was still in her pouch. Dora and I surfed a few waves, as people in the ferries admired our cute pink fashion statement.

ferryas.jpg
ferryas.jpg (45.93 KiB) Viewed 13296 times

Giant Mega-Ferry hogging up the Sound, with turbulent waters in the foreground. Check out the buoy lean - lots of current.

We paddled into the harbor, Mark leading us to the spot closest to Mad Martha's. Linda kissed the blessed sand, feeling the bliss of life itself. Dora sulked as I left her behind on the beach, but then she snuggled right up to Mark's explorer, Tony (the Tiger). Lora asked if we thought she'd look better in red or blue shorts, she just couldn't decide. Mark had already left for the ice cream shop so we hurried to catch up.

icecream.jpg
icecream.jpg (93.88 KiB) Viewed 13296 times

Three scoops for Mark.

We all got ice cream and found a shady place to eat it.

lora_mark.jpg
lora_mark.jpg (76.06 KiB) Viewed 13296 times

Lora is enthused about the shopping just behind her, but Mark has eyes for nothing but ice cream.

We wandered around Main Street until Lora found a surf shop to explore. She'd decided she needed a pair of board shorts for the return paddle.

shorts.jpg
shorts.jpg (85.84 KiB) Viewed 13296 times

Lora chose shorts with both red AND blue. Awesome.

At last the tide turned and it was time to head back. We paddled.

return.jpg
return.jpg (57.67 KiB) Viewed 13296 times

Mile 0.7

Ferries were more numerous on the return. Several times we sprinted to get out of their path. Lora paddled strong in her new shorts. Linda had reconnected with her love of life and sailed through the sizable waves that resulted from boat traffic, wind, and current. Mark was fueled with Sinful Chocolate ice cream and didn't mind that the bluefish were laughing as they slid by. We paddled.

return.jpg

Mile 1.9

Dora was getting tired, not having had any ice cream, and I had to say that I could feel her pain. But there was no stopping - the current was carrying us down the sound, ferries were bearing down on us, and Mark might change his mind at any time and want more ice cream. We paddled.

return.jpg

Mile 3.6

Linda broke out into song, "Oh what a beautiful morning...." Lora was a bit chagrined to realize that her new board shorts were invisible under her spray skirt, and wondered if there were any transparent spray skirts to be had. Mark was considering the possibilities for ice cream on the Cape. Dora and I just wanted to get to land. We paddled.

At long long long last we entered Woods Hole. I was fried, beyond hungry and tired. Everyone else was irritatingly happy. Linda wanted to do it again, right now. Mark was wondering if there were any bluefish around. Lora struck a pose in her new garb, in case anyone wanted to take a photo. Dora let the waves wash her up against Tony the Tiger. It was time for Kate to find dinner.

It's quite a trip, dealing with the current, figuring out the ferry angle that will work, keeping an eye out for boat traffic, and enjoying the wide open space of the Sound. Mark did a great job of leading the way, and we kept together as a group very well. Linda and Lora, first-timers both, handled everything with aplomb. What ever your hidden agenda, the crossing is guaranteed to offer you challenge, and reward. And double bonus points if you paddle it in a cute pink boat!

NK
Mark

Ferries? What Ferries?

Post by Mark »

I don't know what all the fuss about ferries was about.
markferry.jpg
markferry.jpg (76.15 KiB) Viewed 13290 times
lora925

Re: Woods Hole to Martha's Vineyard, for Ice Cream 8/14/10

Post by lora925 »

Great report Kate! I'm still laughing. Oh and can we go again next weekend? The security tag is still on my shorts :)
norm

Post by norm »

Great trip report. Thanks for sharing your experience and all the pictures. Glad to see you all made it across and back with no difficulties and were still smiling at the end.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Very entertaining Kate but a lot of those pictures looked very similar :)

I'd like to hear Linda's account of the trip.

Thanks for sharing.

Nelson
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Adventure, shopping and ice cream, - the perfect Saturday! Can't wait to hear all your stories!

Nice looking boat, Kate!

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

So happy you all had a great trip across and had a blast!

Cool pink boat! :D
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

Birdseye wrote:Very entertaining Kate but a lot of those pictures looked very similar :)

I'd like to hear Linda's account of the trip.

Thanks for sharing.

Nelson

A lot of the paddling looked very similar!

And I'd like to hear Linda's account too.

NK
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

I guess if you've seen one paddling shot...you've seen them all.
:lol:
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
Linda

Post by Linda »

Just getting to see the trip report. I just woke from a 4 day nap, a little catch up rest from the trip Saturday. Kate, your report was hysterical... Loved It! Hope 'DORA' is well. Yes, we did all have our own agenda and it was more than met. Getting 'things in order' before I left proved to be an unnecessary step as I DID survive the trip. It's a good thing I was 'pumped' to make the crossing because it took every ounce of strength for me to keep up (or try to keep up) with you race horses. Oh, my very sincere THANK YOU, to all, for putting up with my pace... I couldn't have been in better hands! It knocked me down a few notches to be 'the weakest link'!
I had a GREAT TIME, doing all the vertical miles over the waves... WHOO-HOO! Oh, when my feet finally did hit sand again on MV, it was nice to see you all from a new angle verses the back of your life vests. Shopping a bit was fun, got my MV sticker for my yak... I deserved it! And Mark was so good to put up with the 'Ladies' browsing... I guess the 3 scoop ice cream put him into a sugar coma.
Kate, I'm glad to have finally met Dora... the most talked about boat this summer. Lora, I'm glad you were able to find Board Shorts you liked... a generous souveneir... Oh, by the way, if there's a Benny's near you, they had them for $6 on clearance... but NOPE haven't come across a transparent spray skirt, yet... if I do I'll surely pass it on.
OK, enough blab... REALLY, THANK YOU ALL FOR A MARVELOUS EXPERIENCE!!! I really DID want to play in the rip-tide after though... OH, WELL, there's always next time.
Still Mind, Relaxed Breath, Pure Attention...
Paddling is Great Therapy!
Kayak widow

Post by Kayak widow »

Great report! I feel like I was there with you, but without all the paddling!
Like a "football widow", I lose my spouse to kayaking for some part of pretty much every weekend :-)