Piscataquog - class 2 whitewater 30Oct2010

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

cgr

Piscataquog - class 2 whitewater 30Oct2010

Post by cgr »

Yesterday Bea, Phil, and Lora came up to New Hampshire with me to paddle the drawdown release on the Piscataquog river in Goffstown. There is a lake above the dam that gets lowerd to a winter level every fall. And thanks to groups like the AMC & MVP paddlers(as well as dam operators who paddle); on most Saturdays in October a different river has a release.

The Piscat is the last one of the season, and AMC & MVP put on a party afterwards. They feed everyone with bbq steak tips, baked taters, several flavers of baked beans, homemade foccaccia bread, chowda, soups, & salad(green stuff).

Desserts are a potluck that are brought by people. I would have baked but I can't get my selfcleaning oven unlocked... So I hit Shaws Bakery for it's finest.

So Lora has taken the AMC training that both Connecticut and Boston chapters have put on; more importantly she has paddled just about every chance that she can. Both on the rivers and at Cohasset. So she is now pushing herself on to Class 3 rivers.

Phil has had plenty of experience paddling tidal currents in places like Woods Hole & Little Harbor; and he and Lorrie have both many hours at the Cohasset wave. So they both have experience with the basics needed for whitewater. These are crossing eddylines, ferrying, and edging your boat. Phil was at an advantage because Cohasset wave at it's peak is much more foamy & boily than the river we were on.

Bea had taken a 2 day course with Zoar Outdoor back in June. I had been sending her info on upcoming amc trips since then. This was the first time that she was available. Because Bea was able to borrow one of Lora's boats this was not an AMC trip.(rentals are only for official trips and then we have to sign waivers and collect $)

For a class 2 river this has a class 3 put in. You have to carry down stone steos and boulders and get into your boat on a rock. We had a group of 18+ which was way too many for a small river. So most people break up into a couple of smaller groups.

It took Bea a few minutes to get used to things, but she started to remember things her Zoar classes. She had two swims when she was starting to get tired; but she did awesome the whole day. Great job Bea!!!

Phil looked very comfortable and he would be ready for something a little more challenging where he can really work on catching eddies.

Lora was catching every eddy she could see and trying to play all of the features. I think that she did scrape or bump the back of her head rolling up after a surf.

I had my camera but took no pictures with mittens on. However, I did see Lora, Bea, and Phil with cameras out.
pallen661

Re: Piscataquog - class 2 whitewater 30Oct2010

Post by pallen661 »

Chris-

Thanks for the recommending the trip. I had a blast. Kinda cool to see what seemed like dozens of different water craft having fun on the river. Yet one more way to play on/in the water.

Some pics here.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 6c26dfb567

Phil
---
P&H Cetus MV, black over white with red tape
Necky Jive, Orange swirly things
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

A BIG thank you to the Wild Turkey Team for finally getting me on the river. Thank you to Chris for being my Body Guard and Super Hero, and for verbally cuing me down the river. Thank you to Lora for buying Gif’s boat, and letting me borrow it and getting me to NH! Thank you to Phil for letting me borrow his dry top and for gently breaking it to me that I had put it on backwards!! And thank you to Alice “kayakwidow” for rewarding me with a big slice of her yummy pecan pie afterwards.

Yes, I managed to make it down the river with only two “swims”. This of course is a conspiracy. I had told Chris last week that I had only done three white water wet exits. These were all planned exits on a pond. I had never flipped against my will. Chris took this to heart, and I think he wanted to change that! So half way down the river he challenged me to some new things. Of course I flipped, but it was no big deal. I got safely into shore and back in my boat. Chris said “Let’s try that again”. Of course I flipped again! This time a white water YARDSALE, with all my stuff floating down the river fast (including me!). Phil went after my paddle which headed right for a big dead tree (these are called strainers and are dangerous. I have been told to stay away from those). Chris went after “my” boat which floated way down the river, and Lora stayed right with me and verbally cued me how to get back to safety. Now I know why white boats have a handle on the back. It is not for carrying, but to hold on to during white water rescues.

The river run was totally awesome. Every once in awhile we would eddy in, and just sit and watch people play in the current and standing waves. It was fun watching Lora do all sorts of cool stuff. Lora was first introduced to white water at the beginning of the summer 2010. I have never seen such a steep learning curve! She is just embracing every challenge with a smile, and is always ready for more. Lora ROCKS.

And I remember Chris starting out sea kayaking a few years ago. We would see more of the bottom of his boat than we saw of him. I have personally been involved in rescuing him a few times. So should I trust this man with my life on the Piscat river? Absolutely! !!! He was right by my side, he was challenging me, he was showing some tough love to push myself, and he rescued me TWICE! All with a big heartfelt smile, and a “good job” comment.

Below are some photos taken by me and “kayakwidow” with my camera. I didn’t take any pictures while on the river, as I was too busy trying to keep the boat right side up.
Thanks again, Turkey Team!
The lake above the dam.
The lake above the dam.
IMG_4167.JPG (135.32 KiB) Viewed 7887 times

The dam.
The dam.
IMG_4170.JPG (129.66 KiB) Viewed 7887 times

IMG_4169.JPG
IMG_4169.JPG (107.59 KiB) Viewed 7887 times

The river before the release.
The river before the release.
IMG_4173.JPG (183.61 KiB) Viewed 7887 times

Me and Lora.
Me and Lora.
IMG_4177.JPG (159.33 KiB) Viewed 7887 times

Chris
Chris
IMG_4182.JPG (204.21 KiB) Viewed 7887 times

The launch spot
The launch spot
IMG_4188.JPG (141.81 KiB) Viewed 7887 times

Bird eye view of the launch area
Bird eye view of the launch area
IMG_4183.JPG (178.25 KiB) Viewed 7887 times

IMG_4194.JPG
IMG_4194.JPG (173.39 KiB) Viewed 7887 times

IMG_4196.JPG
IMG_4196.JPG (150.31 KiB) Viewed 7887 times

Post paddle
Post paddle
IMG_4199.JPG (182.68 KiB) Viewed 7887 times

BBO poster
BBO poster
IMG_4203.JPG (111.15 KiB) Viewed 7887 times

Picnic area
Picnic area
IMG_4207.JPG (159.75 KiB) Viewed 7887 times

Well done, Chris!
Well done, Chris!
IMG_4209.JPG (175.2 KiB) Viewed 7887 times
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
lora925

Post by lora925 »

Yet another great adventure! This was a fun river; can't wait to go back an get to know it a little better. Lots of fun stuff jammed into a 3.1 mile run. More photos at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=253170&id=620373349&l=58709a31a2