Tracer Shakedown - a SINK experience!

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

chpaton

Tracer Shakedown - a SINK experience!

Post by chpaton »

Ever since I bought my first SINK last fall I’ve been looking forward to getting out on the water this spring. Since the purchase I used my time to accumulate, at reasonable prices (discounted whenever possible) the additional equipment and outfitting that I either needed or wanted. Remember we are talking major bargain here as I acquired the Tracer, still in factory wrappings, via ebay for less than 1/3rd of the current MSRP.

Over the course of the winter I got Sealine foot braces, a Sealine paddle float, an Ocean Kayak rudder, a Snapdragon spray skirt and cockpit cover, a Harmony spray skirt, and Bomber Gear breathable paddling jacket and paddling pants – all via ebay at steep discounts (my personal rule is: my bid plus shipping costs cannot exceed a total that is at least 33% off MSRP). I rounded out my purchases with a few necessities at list price – Sealine toe controls and rudder cables from Rutabaga.com, a bilge pump from EMS, and pvc tubing, marine goop, and plastic epoxy from Home Depot.

I’ve puttered away over the last month an a half to get the boat ready (I don’t have inside storage so all the work is outside and weather dependent). I finally completed the rudder, foot brace and toe control installation on the weekend of April 15th, family obligations kept me off the water on Sunday and Monday so I was eagerly anticipating the weekend of the 22nd. As the weekend approached and the weather forecast got grim, I knew it would have to be the morning of Saturday the 22nd, or wait another week.

A winter’s worth of anticipation got the better of me and despite my lack of any real experience in SINKs, I decided a short solo shake down cruise in a relatively safe environment would be OK. I’ve used the Black’s Creek Salt Pond in Quincy’s Merry Mount Park to test drive both of my other ‘yaks as it is big enough to allow you some sustained paddling for ½ mile in a straight line, has some current, a long enough fetch for some wind wavelets when the breeze is on shore, some wildlife spotting opportunities, yet you are never too far away from shore or in too deep water to get into any real trouble (in a most of the pond the water is 4-5 ft deep at high tide).

High tide was about 6:45 AM on Saturday morning but as the tide in the Pond is somewhat regulated by flood control gates, the level in the Pond continues to rise for about 1 hour after the tide is full. As I packed up my gear I began to realize that it takes longer to pack for a SINK than it does for a SOT (more stuff – spray skirt, cockpit cover, bilge pump, paddle float). I arrived at the launch about 7:45, wind is 15+ from the NNE, air temp is about 45, water temp a wee bit higher.

I prepare the boat trying to remember not to forget any of that extra SINK stuff! Ready to launch - OK so how do I do this? Getting into a SOT is soooo easy! Let’s just say I’m glad I was wearing neoprene gloves and a paddling jacket with tightly adjustable neoprene wrist gaskets. I got in, not too gracefully, but I got in. The next step was to deploy the spray skirt, or shall I say attempt to deploy the spray skirt (it was soooo much easier when I was sitting in the boat in my back yard). After a couple of attempts and loud invocations of the deity, I finally secured the damn thing around the cockpit combing (the tuff part was the bungee knot on the back of the skirt - it didn’t want to fit under the combing). Off I go up wind and it only takes me about 50 yards to realize that the foot braces are set too far forward! Hmmm, they seemed fine in the back yard (when I was in street clothes and running shoes – duhhhh!). Well, these Sealines are supposed to be easily adjustable when sitting in the cockpit – but wait, there’s more – you can’t reach them with the spray skirt on! What ever! Let’s just come about and land this thing to make adjustments. Hey, the boat wants to weathercock! (we knew that – so do my SOTs) let’s deploy the rudder! Well pilgrim you need to release the rudder tie down BEFORE you launch if you want to use the rudder! (I would have remembered if I wasn’t so busy remembering all that extra SINK gear – that’s my story and I’m sticking to it!).

Landing, a new challenge! At least the spray skirt comes off easier than it goes on. I disembarked with the same aplomb demonstrated when I embarked. Not too graceful, but I didn’t tip over or fall on my face! The foot braces are adjusted easily – too bad they are no longer in production! I remember to release the rudder tie down.

More launching practice - got in the boat a little more gracefully this time. The spray skirt’s still a bitch, must be that freaking knot! I decide to head off perpendicular to the wind. Sure enough the boat weather cocks, but probably not as bad as the Nomad, about the same as the Shearwater. Hell, that’s what I bought the rudder for. Yank the cord and the rudder deploys flawlessly. Try the toe pilot controls – THEY WORK! Woo Hoo!

I spend the next hour plus paddling around the pond. The boat feels more stable than the Shearwater – about the same as the Nomad, but it’s a different sort of feel – maybe the lower center of gravity. I feel almost IN the water – with the SOTs I’ve always felt I’m ON the water. The Tracer seems to glide along pretty well, it doesn’t take much effort to get up to cruising speed and hold it there – even into a 15+ breeze. I think I’ll need to invest in a shorter paddle – I have a 240 with a standard (6.5 x 20") touring blade and a 230 with a midsized (6.25 x 18") blade. Maybe a 220 with the 6.5 x 20" blade – I was using the 230 and it felt a smidge long.

In the course of my paddle about I encountered a couple of cormorants, three herons, and a group of mallard ducks. I purposely avoided a stretch of the creek where the mute swans hang out – it’s nesting season and I wasn’t up for the challenge.

By about 9 AM I was starting to feel a bit of discomfort in my right hip and was feeling more and more confined by the cockpit and spray skirt. I certainly can’t move about as much and flex my legs like I do in the SOTs – hopefully a little more outfitting and adjustment will provide more comfort.

Disembarking a tad more gracefully (I guess practice does help!) I pack up my stuff (I’ve got to remember to allow extra time for the extra SINK stuff!) and check the hatches before loading the boat. Dry as a bone! I rack the boat and take a look at the hull – several launches and landings on a gravel beach and no significant scratching – this Trylon is interesting stuff, probably as scratch resistant as gel coat, way more resistant than poly!

I’m looking forward to getting used to all this SINK stuff. Somebody update me on the Hanson Pond sessions!
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Wahoooo!!! Congrats Craig.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Great trip report Craig. Every trip for me last year was something new. You experienced it all in one trip. Just wait for the unintended wet exit that is next.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Good story Craig, glad you managed to stay dry.

Not sure when Hanson starts but shouldn't be too long now.

As for all your SINK gear. I got a big canvas bag to put it all in. Get one with long carry straps so you can carry it on your shoulder and carry your boat too if you need to. It doesn't hold everything but cuts down on the trips from the car.

We'll see you on the water.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Chip

Post by Chip »

Don't worry Craig. Pat and I still forget to release the rudder on occasion. I use a tote bag as well. Seems to help organize as well as reduce the trips.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Birdseye wrote:Not sure when Hanson starts but shouldn't be too long now.

I have no idea when Hanson starts, but personally, I'm not going to be ready for any voluntary wet exits until deep into June.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

pat wrote:I have no idea when Hanson starts, but personally, I'm not going to be ready for any voluntary wet exits until deep into June.

Wus :)
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Mark

Hanson Pond Sessions

Post by Mark »

I think I will go check the water temp in the pond this weekend after we get a few more sunny warm days. I'll report back here.

I expect it is still very cold, and the evenings are still kind of short as well. If folks want to do a warm sunny weekend session sometime in May, let's set it up. We can get some hot food and drink going on the beach to warm up after.

EDIT - If nothing else, you can test out your cold water gear in a controlled environment.

Mark
Scupper Pro Frank

Post by Scupper Pro Frank »

WELCOME ABOARD, YOU TURNCOAT SINKER! :wink:

Yes, friend Craig, ah dun gawn'n went'n jernedup wit de turkeys. I may win the annual reunion prize for traveling the farthest distance. I'll try to add a few rays of nice, sunny South Florida warm sunshine as the winter storms roll into New England.

AS long as you guys are most properly sympathetic when our fall September-October-November temps fall all the way down to 75...

...accompanied by winds of 175, and the usual suspect trio of witches & warlocks -last year named Kate, Ivan, & Wilma...

And it's most appropriate that I'm a member here -Sally's always calling me a turkey :roll: At any rate, congrats on your newest!

Nice shakedown report. As we've discussed on & off the TopKayaker boards, the older boat that Sally got has enough rocker and bow rise to weathercock -in spades!

Sally went with a skeg, vs. the rudder I run on my Perception Eclipse and you installed & run on your T, because it's a simpler mechanism (though considerably more complex an installation), and that's what was on the boat that she so happily & successfully demoed that I, in turn, picked one up for her as a surprise Christmas present.

Sans skeg (in your case, the rudder), every one of the 7 or 8 paddlers who took Sally's T out noted it's high "playfulness", which translated in all but one paddler's case as a squirrely responsiveness. One friend noted it had terrific acceleration and fine glide, but that he "was going in cirlces!"

I had to chuckle at your plaintive note that it takes more gear to paddle a SINK than an SOT. Doubly true for we sothern paddlers in warm air and warmer water -who just take boat, paddle, seat, and PFD to paddle our SOTs. jump on, & go...

We keep all our SINK-specific stuff -paddle floats, sponges, pumps, dry bags -in a cinch-up mesh bag. When we want to go out in the SINKs, we just throw the bag in the back of the car.

We have, but don't use, our lightweight nylon skirts. We have yet to be out in conditions that warrant them -our air and water temps usually run 40 and 35 degrees warmer, respectively, than do yours most of the year.

One thing I advise you getting is a decent SS clip-on knife to attach to your PFD -you never know when cutting something, or cutting yourself out of something -might be called for.

Don't know if you've ever spilled off of, or even deliberately dismounted from, your SOTs. As relatively tough their humped midsections may be to remount on your Heritage boats compared to other SOTs, it's going to take more to reestablish yourself in a SINK, Craig.

I think you might want to think about three things as you get on with your SINKing career :wink: :

1) Paddling around & about in many progressivley more mixed conditions as you familiarize yourself with the T's characteristics. Learn bracing, and how far the boat -and you -heel and still feel comfortable, and recoverable -and what it takes to right the boat from a heeled position.

2) Practicing wet exits and paddle float reentries in progressively more mixed conditions;

3) "Acquiring" a roll.

I've got the first 2 down pretty tight; I do number 2 several times a year (boy, does THAT sound gross, not to mention dangerously infrequent) just to make sure my aging body :? can still contort enough to get back in... I work on the 3rd about once a year -should take time and get good instruction, as I've only managed one in maybe 15-20 tries. Maybe after I retire in June...

You might want to scout out where pool sessions might be available, for nothing other than a start-up for some of these maneuvers in calm, warmer water -at least to begin the process. I don't know about that -I've only been invited to one pool session (in a private home -they're pretty common down here) but I couldn't make it. Our "pool" is Biscayne Bay, where we can usually find a relatively calm, almost always warm, strtch of water to practice our moves.

Well -this certainly went on longer than I'd intended...!

Sally loves her post-skeg setup, and it looks like you like yours, too.

Thanks for the report. And keep up the good work -practice in the T even as you ride atop the N and the S as you

-Paddle On!

Scupper Pro :cool: Frank in Miami
Valley Aquanaut-Glass
Perception Eclipse-Roto
Hurricane Aquasports Tracer
Knysna Isthmus Glass SOT
OK Scupper Pro TW
OK Scupper Classic
OK Scrambler XT-given to son
Scupper Pro Frank

OH, YEAH... FORGOT ONE THING

I also have been known to ask for help after having gotten out on the water and not unhooked the rudder restrainer... :?

I try to not use it -managed 16 miles weekend before last sans dropping it, even in some confused waters and onshore winds on Biscayne Bay.

Now don't tell her, but that's one reason why I'm so glad Sally got her Tracer and enjoys it -she can unhook me even as we both

-Paddle On!

Valley Aquanaut-Glass
Perception Eclipse-Roto
Knysna Isthmus Glass SOT
OK Scupper Pro TW
OK Scupper Classic
Scupper Pro Frank

OH YEAH, REDUX...

Appaently my retirement's comning at just the right time :o -I'm forgetting tghings ledt & right -rudder hooks, discussion board topics...

Two more things:

You're spot on about the paddle. I started out with a 240 Aquabound Seaclude, ocassionally still use it, but generally stick with the Werner 225 these days in the E.

That getting in & out of a SINK thing... I commiscerate, in spades! It's so much easier in an SOT to shove off & flop in.

Some folks are well-cordinated with a good sense of balance. These people just sort of straddle the boat & fold themselves into it in the last moves of a cowboy reentry. More limber folks in large-cockpit boats can do this almost effortlessly.

I'm not one of the well-balanced, limber brigade -and will be less so as I get older, I suspect!

I use a paddle brace on the beach -boat parallel to the shoreline in calm conditions or bow-out if there's some wave action, one hand holding coaming & neck of paddle shaft near the blade aft of the seat, leaning boat over and bracing on extended shaft & blade; other hand on the shaft, ebter boat keaning on shaft -and always leaning toward the extended side as you get in & set up. Actually works pretty easily.

We've entered the water off rocks & docks applying modifications of the same method -if they're low enough, they're not too difficult to use to get into the boat so you can

-Paddle On!

Valley Aquanaut-Glass
Perception Eclipse-Roto
Knysna Isthmus Glass SOT
OK Scupper Pro TW
OK Scupper Classic