Cape Cod part 6. Weds 17th August 2011

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

Briggsy

Cape Cod part 6. Weds 17th August 2011

Post by Briggsy »

Wednesday arrived clear, calm and sunny. We met at the launch site right on Rt 28 by the Bass River on the Dennis side at 8.30. Parking there is free. Norm, Bea, Josko, Bob and I launched at 9am and paddled downriver with a nice current.
Bass River
Bass River
P8170004.JPG (56.22 KiB) Viewed 5936 times
Turning east at the end, ahead of us was the long strip of beaches but we couldn't see Monomoy yet despite being a clear day. The sea was flat and barely a breath of wind. West Dennis Beach was quiet with hardly anyone out yet.
Empty West Dennis Beach
Empty West Dennis Beach
P8170005.JPG (46.57 KiB) Viewed 5936 times
Nice use of the sun on the Lighthouse Inn
Nice use of the sun on the Lighthouse Inn
P8170007.JPG (52.84 KiB) Viewed 5936 times
The easiest way to know where we were was to count the rivers and harbors as we passed them and use the occaisional land features on the chart such as the church spire in Harwichport. There were a number of power boats setting out so we got a few waves from them to help us along. Wychmere harbor had a big resort beside it and we had to stop and wait for a few boats to go past before we could continue.
I wish I could say there wasn't a cloud in the sky....but there was!!<br />Wychmere Harbor
I wish I could say there wasn't a cloud in the sky....but there was!!
Wychmere Harbor
P8170009.JPG (27.63 KiB) Viewed 5936 times
The further on we went we could slowly make out Monomoy in the distance but even when we got to Red River Beach for a short break the islands were nothing more than a thin sliver of land. Although you technically cannot launch from the beach it would be possible to launch from the end of the parking lot where the Red River Creek joins the sea, just for future reference.
We decided to cut right across to the new-ish island of Minimoy. The tiny island was 3 miles away but just visible as it is so low. We made good time taking 45 mins to reach it and landed on the beach for lunch. The tide was coming in and we had to move our kayaks further up but the beach wasn't very high! Bob and Bea went swimming in the warm clear water but it was a hike to get anywhere deep enough to actually swim.After an hours break the water was just starting to lift our kayaks so it was time to move on.
Lunch over, time to leave
Lunch over, time to leave
P8170010.JPG (42.91 KiB) Viewed 5936 times
Shallow waters of Monomoys sandbars
Shallow waters of Monomoys sandbars
P8170011.JPG (37.13 KiB) Viewed 5936 times
When we got into the "south way" we could hear the surf on the Atlantic side so we found a place to stop and hiked over. The sea was fairly calm but the steep shore made the waves really crash down.
Atlantic beach
Atlantic beach
P8170013.JPG (35.49 KiB) Viewed 5936 times
There were a few seals bobbing around but no sharks. I phoned Deb for our shuttle pick up and we paddled the last few miles to the Battlefield Rd take out where she arrived just as we did.
Last few miles into Stage Harbor
Last few miles into Stage Harbor
P8170015.JPG (38.39 KiB) Viewed 5936 times
With a bit of finagling we tied 5 kayaks on the truck and squeezed six of us inside for the careful drive back to the put in at Bass River. I think I will need to buy a trailer!!
According to my GPS we kayaked 17.1 nautical miles (19.7 miles).
Thanks Norm, Bea, Josko and Bob for being great paddling partners, it was a fantastic day on the water.
Briggsy
ccpt6.jpg
ccpt6.jpg (100.3 KiB) Viewed 5936 times

I Thought I would put up a map of the Cape Cod trip so far. Unfortunately the increase in Shark sightings, beach closings and seal carcasses is going to mess up my plans and I will have to come back to the Monomoy and Chatham sections next year before the big fish arrive. In the meantime I plan to carry on.....
cc.jpg
cc.jpg (79.74 KiB) Viewed 5932 times
NorwayLady

Re: Cape Cod part 6. Weds 17th August 2011

Post by NorwayLady »

Here are some of the photos I took on the trip. Some of the photos are a little foggy. Norm, thank you for reminding me to clean the salt of the lens.

Bass river launch. Norm, Briggsy and Josko going over the charts.
IMG_3135.JPG
IMG_3135.JPG (109.31 KiB) Viewed 5913 times

Norm under Route 28 bridge
IMG_3144.JPG
IMG_3144.JPG (144.41 KiB) Viewed 5913 times

A windmill along the banks of Bass River
IMG_3148.JPG
IMG_3148.JPG (148.83 KiB) Viewed 5913 times

The big jetty at the entrance to the Bass River
IMG_3149.JPG
IMG_3149.JPG (85.23 KiB) Viewed 5913 times

Interesting beachfront property in Dennis. Don't know what it is
IMG_3161.JPG
IMG_3161.JPG (77.92 KiB) Viewed 5913 times

Tons of sailboats and a mothership. The kids were having a blast jumping off the upper deck and into the water
IMG_3169.JPG
IMG_3169.JPG (83.68 KiB) Viewed 5913 times

Heading for Monomoy. Briggsy had figured out the coordinates and set his compass, as we could not see too clearly where we were going. He also asked us individually if we were ready for the long crossing. A commitment was needed as there was no way of pulling the plug half way!
IMG_3162.JPG
IMG_3162.JPG (71.66 KiB) Viewed 5913 times

Almost there
IMG_3181.JPG
IMG_3181.JPG (83.36 KiB) Viewed 5913 times

Briggsy and Josko pulling up the boats on Minimoy
IMG_3185.JPG
IMG_3185.JPG (78.25 KiB) Viewed 5913 times

Lunch time at Minimoy. Tide is coming in fast
IMG_3195.JPG
IMG_3195.JPG (59.61 KiB) Viewed 5913 times

Arrived at North Monomoy and heading for the Atlantic side
IMG_3203.JPG
IMG_3203.JPG (65.21 KiB) Viewed 5913 times

SEAL.....but where are the sharks???
IMG_3211.JPG
IMG_3211.JPG (112.88 KiB) Viewed 5913 times

Heading back to the boats
IMG_3219.JPG
IMG_3219.JPG (86.14 KiB) Viewed 5913 times

Walking the boats. Too shallow to paddle
IMG_3222.JPG
IMG_3222.JPG (84.38 KiB) Viewed 5913 times

The take-out at Battlefield road
IMG_3228.JPG
IMG_3228.JPG (129.86 KiB) Viewed 5913 times

The Briggy mobile can absorb anything!! Thank you Deb for making this one way trip do-able!
IMG_3231.JPG
IMG_3231.JPG (139.84 KiB) Viewed 5913 times
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
norm

Re: Cape Cod part 6. Weds 17th August 2011

Post by norm »

More pictures from Cape Cod Part 6. Tried to pick ones that Briggsy and Bea did not already show.

Getting the boats ready for launching at the Bass River boat ramp just above the route 28 bridge.

Bea and Josko, ready to go.

Starting down the Bass River, Briggsy and Bob.

A cute little statue on a dock. Wish I had gotten a clearer picture.

Briggsy telling Bob the plan for the day, with Josko in the background.

A nice clear channel down the Bass River on this clear Wednesday morning. Not crazy busy like it was in the afternoon at the end of Cape Cod Part 5.

Cormorants drying their wings on the jetty at the end of the Bass River.

An RV campground right on the beach in Dennis Port. Looked it up to find the name: Campers Haven RV Resort.

Fishing charter boat we had to wait for as it came out of port in a channel. I think the port it came out of was Wychmere Harbor.

Cruising along the coast, Briggsy, Josko, Bea and Bob.

Stopping to stretch our legs for a few minutes at Red River Creek after 10 miles of paddling.

Briggsy showing Bea where we were headed next, a push straight into the wind, straight out to Minimoy Island.

Reaching the shallow waters after the 3 mile crossing.

Getting close to our lunch stop destination.

A little sandspit on Minimoy Island, outside the restricted bird refuge areas.

Our lunchtime view.

We had carried the boats about 30 yards to get them onto higher ground...about 12 inches above sea level.

We had plenty of life to watch in the water as we ate lunch. There were hundreds of little bait fish swarming around in the shallows in front of us. Briggsy picked up a tiny horseshoe crab.

By the time we were done with lunch and ready to go, the boats only had to be carried a couple feet.

Not much left of our sandspit.

Leaving Minimoy.

Briggsy heading into the channel between Minimoy and North Monomoy.

North Monomoy.

A seal in the water on the east side of south beach. We had stopped and walked across a thin section of south beach to take a look at the Atlantic side.

A sailboat in the Southway, between South Beach and North Monomoy.

A lump of seaweed with shed horseshoe crab shells.

Launching from South Beach. North Monomoy in the background.

Josko and Briggsy heading toward Stage Harbor. Morris Island sand dunes in the background.

Waiting for traffic in the channel before crossing to hug the shoreline.

A kid sledding down the sand dune on his surfboard.

Follow the leader into Stage Harbor.

Briggsy pointing out the take-out with his paddle.

Ta-Da! Five boats loaded on Briggsy's truck. Probably the hardest work he did all day - getting all the boats loaded and strapped in.

Thanks Briggsy for another great day of paddling.