Marion Harbor + Bird Island - 8/20/11

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Marion Harbor + Bird Island - 8/20/11

Post by norm »

This was another last minute trip, posted Friday morning for Saturday morning. High tide times were horrible for the south shore but perfect for the south coast where there are plenty of spots I have not paddled yet. I chose Marion Harbor to Bird Island out of a book. The book said there were two launch point options. I didn't take the time to investigate the parking rules and I'm glad I didn't. Both parking lots are for residents only according to the Marion town web site, but there are no signs on-site at the parking lots.

Two people responded Friday that they would be coming, Audrey and Haven. Haven asked for clarification on which launch site we'd be using and I responded on the WTP trip thread. Audrey and Gif exchanged emails about the trip but Gif didn't check the WTP website, so he got the launch spot wrong. Gif happened to see me drive by the town dock and gave me a call. He had already unloaded his boat, so he ended up paddling to the beach where Audrey, Haven and I were.

There is a building set back from the beach for the life guards. They had not come out to their posts when we arrived. As we got our boats ready, nobody was using the beach yet, so we set up at the end of the beach furthest from the main area. We were told later on that we should have used the little boat ramp on the far side of the jetty. We used the little ramp when we returned.

Audrey noticed a guard setting up at the parking lot entrance so we went over to ask if there was a parking fee. The guard told us the beach was restricted to town residents or non-residents with stickers, but said we could stay without fear of getting a ticket. I commented to the guard that there were no signs that this was a resident only beach. I think this would be a great launch spot early and late in the season when the staff is gone.

Empty beach as we launched at about 9:15.

Haven launching.

You're not supposed to launch from the swimming area, but the life guards were very reasonable and left us alone.

Crossing the swim area lines.

There was almost no boat traffic, so we headed straight for Bird Island without bothering to stay out of the channel. Gif shared stories of his days at Tabor Academy located here in Marion.

We did come across one sailboat coming into the harbor, but only had to adjust our course slightly to stay out of his way.

The chop and swells blowing into the harbor made us pay attention as we made our way out to Bird Island.

We paddled in close to the island but didn't get out of our boats. The island is off-limits to visitors during nesting season for terns. We were not sure if nesting season had passed yet.

Since I didn't get out of my boat, I didn't get any good bird pictures. Just got a shot of some cormorants.

The Bird Island Lighthouse.

After a little rest out of the wind, we chose to head back into Sippican Harbor (Marion) to explore.

Houses on Butler Point..

We headed along the eastern shore of the harbor with following seas, not quite directly behind us, so surfing was difficult.

There were some sailboats heading out of the harbor.

Gif mentioned there was a sand spit at the end of Planting Island, so we headed there to get out and have a snack and stretch our legs.

The view into Planting Island Cove from the sand spit.

Looking across to the sailboats moored behind Ram Island.

There seem to be a lot of patriotic homes in Blankenship Cove...I count 7 flags flying.

Gif mentioned this might be a home built by Howard Johnson.

During our break, we heard a little rumbling of thunder. We started paddling toward the inner harbor hoping the storm was passing north of us.

The clouds didn't look too threatening, but we started hearing thunder more frequently and then eventually saw a flash of lightning way off in the distance.

It seemed the storm was not going to pass us by, so we decided we better head back to our cars. We were right across the harbor from the beach we launched from, so we offered to give Gif a ride back to his truck, but he said the dock was just as close so he'd head straight there. Can't argue with the guy who grew up here, so we split up and headed in. This time Haven, Audrey and I landed at the little boat ramp at Silver Shell Beach. The skies looked much worse at this point.

The beach was still pretty empty for a summer Saturday afternoon.

The little boat ramp only had space enough for one kayak to land at a time.

The parking lot surface was interesting, it was a mixture of stones and sea shells.

As we loaded the boats onto the cars, it was still sunny where we were but the storm looked like it was going to continue to overspread the area.

It never did start raining while we loitered around the parking lot discussing where the nearest ice cream shop was located. Gif had driven down to meet us from where he had parked. He had checked a spot where there had been an ice cream shop years ago but it was gone.

Audrey checked her GPS and found a few options. We followed her to the Oxford Creamery on Route 6 in Mattapoisett. The store had seafood and sandwiches as well as many flavors of ice cream. We all got ice cream and sat outside in the shade at a picnic table.

It was a nice day even though our paddling got cut short. I drove on lots of wet streets on the way home and eventually got caught in a heavy rain squall. We made the right decision to stop paddling, but I was a little sad I didn't get to see the rest of the area. Its kinda far to drive for a short paddling trip. The weather people I watched really blew it saying the storms would not form till late afternoon!

Here is a topo map with the track of our paddle highlighted.

A few statistics from the trip:

Launch time: 9:15am
Reached Bird Island: 10:05am 2.6 miles
Stopped for break on Planting Island: 10:46am 4.9 miles
Left Planting Island: 11:27am
Take out time: 11:51am
Total Distance: 5.9 miles

Thanks for joining me Audrey, Haven and Gif. It was especially nice having 2 guys along that know the area.
kayakerjnj

Re: Marion Harbor + Bird Island - 8/20/11

Post by kayakerjnj »

What a great day you had!

Beautiful pictures Norm. Thanks for sharing.
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Great trip report with nice pictures and a wealth of information.

I have never kayaked Marion Harbor+Bird island, and from your report it sounds like you'd like to explore the area more. Put it on the "to-do" list for future kayak trips. I would love to joing you!
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
gifallen

Post by gifallen »

Norm, thanks for the great paddle. Too bad it got cut short. Like you, on the way home I drove on many wet streets. One correction, if I may, Island Wharf does have public parking, and the ramp is set up for small boat launchings. Great pics and thanks again.