Thursday Night - 8/25/11 - Hingham to Grape Island

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Thursday Night - 8/25/11 - Hingham to Grape Island

Post by norm »

Ron, Sue and I hung around the beach for a couple hours waiting for the weather to clear. We kept checking the radar on my Blackberry. We stood around through a little rain shower. Tracey arrived and we chatted and waited for the skies to clear. Pat and Jordan and Chip all arrived and it got to decision time - do we paddle or go to Stars early. One more check of the radar and it looked like we had an opening and clear skies seemed to be headed our way. Pat, Ron, Sue and I hit the water and headed out toward Bumpkin. Tracey, Jordan and Chip hung out at the beach waiting for us. We decided to take a left and head toward Grape Island instead of Bumpkin to make the trip back into the wind easier. Heading toward Grape allowed us to head directly toward the sunset which was constantly changing as the clouds slid by. When we reached Grape, Pat got out for a minute to stretch his legs and the Ranger came over and chatted with him to make sure we were not planning to stay.

It seems we may need to start launching earlier on Thursday nights, or paddling a shorter distance, as it was very dark when we got back into the Hingham inner harbor.

I can't compete with Ron's photography, but I took a bunch of snapshots while we paddled toward the sunset last night. Here are some of the better ones.

For a while, we thought we could see rain falling way off in the distance.

IMGP4815.JPG
IMGP4815.JPG (112.64 KiB) Viewed 4524 times

There were flocks of small birds hovering around the area we paddle through.

IMGP4832.JPG
IMGP4832.JPG (125.17 KiB) Viewed 4524 times

As the sun became obscured by the clouds, the camera exposure adjusted and the pictures actually made it look like it was getting brighter out.

IMGP4845.JPG
IMGP4845.JPG (119.4 KiB) Viewed 4524 times

IMGP4847.JPG
IMGP4847.JPG (125 KiB) Viewed 4524 times

IMGP4851.JPG
IMGP4851.JPG (133.58 KiB) Viewed 4524 times

IMGP4856.JPG
IMGP4856.JPG (131.22 KiB) Viewed 4524 times

IMGP4866.JPG
IMGP4866.JPG (139.64 KiB) Viewed 4524 times

When we got back, Tracey, Jordan and Chip had already gone over to Stars. Sue, Ron and I joined them and we all had dinner. All in all it was a very nice evening.

I think we're due for a nice clear Thursday night in Hingham...we've had enough stormy ones this year.

Sorry Pat, I didn't feel like loading each pic in photoshop and using the straightening tool...

Norm
kayakerjnj

Re: Thursday Night - 8/25/11 - Hingham to Grape Island

Post by kayakerjnj »

Great photos Norm!

Thanks for sharing.
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan