Please save images at a moderate quality level

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

pat
Site Admin

Please save images at a moderate quality level

Post by pat »

I'm happy that everyone's posting photos in the trip reports, but I have a simple request. When you're editing your photos and saving them, please don't save them at the highest quality level. There are many image editors out there, and I can't offer instructions on all of them, but when you save the image as a jpeg, it usually asks what you want for a quality level. This might be "good/better/best", or maybe a number from 1-10. It might look similar to this:

The visual difference between a medium quality and a high quality saved image is undetectable without close pixel-by-pixel inspection, but the file size difference is substantial. Ron typically saves his images at 1000px wide, but the size is only 50-70k, on average. (And if you've seen Ron's photos, you know they're not lacking in quality.) But I see a lot of smaller photos posted by people where the size is upwards of 200k per image. For threads with a lot of photos, this can start to take a good deal of time for those with less-than-optimal connection speeds.

Thanks for your help.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Birdseye

Re: Please save images at a moderate quality level

Post by Birdseye »

For those of you who don't have a way to re-size pictures, I've found this free program to be pretty easy to use. The option to chose image quality comes when you click save where it will allow you to save to a new location and choose image quality from the drop down (or type in).

Here's a link to the application
http://download.cnet.com/Free-Picture-Resize-Starter/3000-12511_4-10297789.html

P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
pat
Site Admin

Re: Please save images at a moderate quality level

Post by pat »

Excellent. Thanks, Nelson!
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com