Boston Harbor Outer Islands and The Graves Light - 10/8/2011

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Boston Harbor Outer Islands and The Graves Light - 10/8/2011

Post by norm »

Linda posted this trip but deferred to me to write the trip report since I took a couple pictures.

This trip almost got cancelled. Linda posted it Tuesday morning and attracted interest right away, but then people started dropping off and making her nervous that it might just be two of us. We had both already agreed that paddling in the outer islands would be safer in a group of three or more. Well it turned out that the group totaled seven at launch time: Linda, Sue, Karen, Lora, Gary, John and me, Norm.

We all met at Windmill Point in Hull on time. Lora had never posted that she was coming but managed to show up first to surprise us. After introductions and discussions on how to dress for the nice weather, we all put on more gear than was needed and were hot by the time we reached Boston Light.

Launching from Windmill Point across from Hull High School.

The first island on the list to visit was Little Brewster Island which is the location of Boston Light. There was no traffic in the channel, so we headed directly toward Boston Light.

After seeing all sides of Boston Light, we headed northwest to check out the rough southern shores of the rest of the Brewster Islands.

The tide was right for a little rock gardening. There were no waves or big swells to worry about, so helmets were not needed. Good thing too 'cause none of us brought one.

A few natural rock sculptures.

Gary and Sue were already having a good time.

Karen and Linda.

John.

Lora taking a closer look at the birds.

The group was milling around amongst the rocks at the west end of Outer Brewster.

With a nice view of the Graves Lighthouse.

The consensus decision was that we couldn't get any better conditions to make a trip out to "The Graves". So we all agreed to go for it!

The discussion turned to the topic that "it doesn't look all that far". (It's about 1.5 miles of open water from Outer Brewster)

A lobster boat was in our path as we got closer so we decided it was best to swing around behind him.

Sue worked her way around a lone fisherman to get to the lighthouse first.

A few views of The Graves Lighthouse from the southwest side.

I think 5 of us went straight through the rocks while 2 swung around to circle the light counter-clockwise. As we mulled around amongst the rocks, a couple seals started checking us out.

We all just sat there for a while looking all around to see where the seals would pop up next.

The little one's over here near me!

From the smile on her face, you could tell this was Sue's first time seeing seals close-up.

The rocks out here didn't look quite as sharp.

We completed the circling of the lighthouse and I got pictures from all sides.

Our next destination would be "any island with a beach to stop on for lunch"! Lora needed food! She doesn't get cranky like Nelson does, but she does get weak. As we came upon Green Island, it didn't look too promising for a landing, so I gave Lora a breakfast bar before she passed out and tested our skills at a "Hand of God" rescue.

Lora and I fell behind a little. Everybody else headed around a dive boat anchored just off Green Island.

It turned out that there was a nice little cove with a beach at this tide level. Everyone landed near an old sunken barge.

The beach and island were ours to enjoy but there was a boat anchored on the other side of our little cove.

A tourist boat cruised by through Hypocrite Channel which doesn't seem very wide.

There was seaweed everywhere but it didn't smell bad.

Some of us sat on the rocks to eat while others stood.

As the tide fell, more of the barge became visible.

Three or four divers came to the surface at the dive boat.

Gotta get that standard shot of all the kayaks lined up on the beach.

That hill looked awfully inviting to climb for a better view.

The hike to the top was not bad since I had dry pants and 14 inch boots to protect me from the little bit of bushes and high grass I had to wade through to get to the rocky top. I didn't see any poison ivy, but I kept my hands and arms high to be safe. There were a few bushes with berries on them.

By the time I got part way up, all the divers were in the boat and getting ready to move on.

A view of our little cove and lunch beach.

Views from the top.

A look at the rocks as I climbed back down.

It's a rough life out there.

Gearing up to head back out on the water.

More paddling amongst the rocks and a little more rock gardening as we paddled to the west of Calf Island.

The commuter/tourist catamaran cruised by again.

Deer Island and the Boston skyline beyond the group. Amazing that the water had actually gotten calmer as the day went by.

Another sunken barge at Calf Island.

Remains of an old mansion on Calf Island.

The cliffs on the northwest side of Great Brewster Island

Looking across the Great Brewster Spit to Boston Light on Little Brewster Island.

There's a gravel spit that extends from Great Brewster Island towards Lovell Island. It is over a mile long. I didn't know that. We all got to know the Great Brewster Spit on this trip. We could see waves breaking over it and it looked like there might be a spot deep enough to paddle through, but it turned out to be too shallow. I was in a plastic boat, so I got to try crossing it first. I was able to knuckle drag over but I told the others in glass boats they should probably go around. (I didn't know it was a mile long...) After I got across, I looked back at Lora and Sue who had started paddling along the other side.

Karen and John followed my lead and knuckled across.

Linda didn't want to scrape her glass boat so she got out and floated it across.

See the spit behind Linda as it snakes it's way almost all the way to Lovell Island in the background.

After paddling a few hundred yards further, Gary, Sue and Lora decided to portage over a higher section of the spit.

The two groups now paddled toward each other.

Lora looks over the channel we need to cross to get back to Hull. Lora gathered up the group and suggested we all needed to paddle side-by-side, seven across and stay together while crossing the channel. That way oncoming boats could more easily choose whether to pass in front or behind us. We did a pretty good job staying together.

On the way across, I thought it would be interesting to take a closer look at the bell buoy that we were aiming for. I got a little too close and almost bumped into the buoy on the way by.

We did have to pause a few times during the crossing to allow traffic to pass...especially for lobster boats.

Once we reached the Hull shoreline, we took our time paddling around Windmill Point. There was a lot more traffic going through Hull Gut now, but it's not bad passing through in a kayak hugging the shore. A few sailboats sailing through the gut.

The windmills were turning when we arrived in the morning, but they were still now. Pretty uncommon day to have less wind in the afternoon than there was in the morning.

Linda and Sue weren't done for the day. They said goodbyes to everyone else and then did a little more paddling along the Hull shore toward Spinaker Island.

Lora had been talking up getting a burger and a beer for a couple hours, so Karen, Lora and I went out for PPR at a place on Nantasket Beach and met Alice there.

A few stats from the trip:
Launch time: 10:00am
Stop for lunch: 12:42pm, 8 miles, Back on water: 1:23pm
Take-out time: 3:10pm (for the majority)
Distance Paddled: 12.4 miles

Thanks for organizing this trip Linda! Everyone had a great time.
Ron

Re: Boston Harbor Outer Islands and The Graves Light - 10/8/

Post by Ron »

Looks like a great trip, great pics.
Image P&H Cetus HV
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Another great day in the Harbor!

I wish I could have made this one, it's always a great trip.

Norm, you got so many great pictures.

Thanks for sharing them!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
TraceyJ

Post by TraceyJ »

Great trip report Norm, and as usual, beautiful pictures.

Tracey
Valley Aquanaut / white-on-white
P&H Delphin 150 Surf / Yellow
centered
antispam: No

Post by centered »

Looked like a perfect day all around, nice report as always Norm, thanks for posting it.
Sue
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Great shots of the seals. They usually don't hang around long enough to take good pictures.

But what's up with the "cranky" comment :?
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
lora925

Post by lora925 »

Great report Norm! It was fun surprising you too. It was a fantastic day on the water. Great fun, followed by the best burger ever - lol Thanks Linda for organizing!
norm

Post by norm »

Birdseye wrote:Great shots of the seals. They usually don't hang around long enough to take good pictures.

But what's up with the "cranky" comment :?

You were pretty "cranky" when Bob was leading us to that beach "just around the corner" on the Padanaram trip to stop for lunch. You said something like "where the hell we going, I'm hungry, lets pull in here!".

I've got a lousy memory, but sometimes I remember things...without pictures. :D
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

I think the lack of food made me more cranky about the poor communication and the additional 1+ mile that I wasn't sure was going to turn into 2 or 3. :wink:
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue