Charles River - Newton - November 20, 2011

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Charles River - Newton - November 20, 2011

Post by norm »

We've had a great stretch of weekends with warm temperatures and clear skies. But, the winds have been too high for our tastes off-shore, so we've had to resort to paddling in rivers. I called us die-hards in the trip posting, but it doesn't take much perseverance to get yourself out to paddle when the air temps are reaching into the 60's. It just takes a little investment in proper cold water clothing.

The marine forecast was fairly accurate days in advance this time, saying there'd be winds in the 15-20 knot range with gusts to 30 knots and 2 foot waves in Boston Harbor. So, I proposed that we check out the Charles River near the Charles River Canoe and Kayak shop in Newton. This worked out well for Sue, since she decided to invest in a drysuit for next spring and wanted to make purchase
arrangements.

Since I knew we wouldn't be paddling too far, I chose a launch time later in the morning to give the day time to warm up. Bea liked the idea of meeting to carpool at the late hour of 9:30am.

Jordan wasn't sure he'd be able to join us but replied Sunday morning that he'd be there.

When we all arrived at the put-in and started unloading our gear, we had a visit from Ken who was headed out to Lake Cochituate to do a little sailing in his canoe and stopped by to say hi.

The put-in we used is the Norumbega Road Duck Feeding Area across from the Charles River Canoe and Kayak shop.

There's a nice little spot of broken sidewalk at the end of a concrete wall that provides a pretty good launching spot for a couple kayaks at a time.

There are geese, ducks, seagulls and swans that hang around this area waiting for food handouts. They're so used to people and paddlers that they barely move out of your way as you paddle by.

Catching up to Bea and Sue who launched before me.

There's a patch of dried up water plants across from the Marriot Hotel. Jordan and I paddled right through them.

We decided to head downstream towards Waltham first. Jordan, Bea and Sue passing the field beside the Marriot.

Ever seen a water buffalo, indian or eagle along the Charles?

You more likely might have seen a few deer.

Probably haven't seen any turtles this big.

Gotta watch out for this alligator lurching out from shore at you.

What does a bear do in the woods? Stands up on a rock.

Bea stopped to pet this iguana and then took it's picture from close up.

Back to the live wildlife, I spotted this great blue heron flying by that has not gone south yet.

There are plenty of normal single family homes along this stretch of the Charles. This is the type I hated painting - too many colors.

Bea, Sue and Jordan with Mt. Feake Cemetery in the background.

On the other side of the river is the Woerd Avenue Boat Ramp.

I believe this is the Historic Waltham Watch Factory. I don't know what's historic about it? It looks like it's being converted to residential housing.

Prospect Street Bridge.

Moody Street Bridge.

There's a dam just beyond the Moody Street Bridge so the map provided by CRCK recommends not going past the bridge. I was surprised that there were no warning signs locally on the bridge.

We came across flocks of birds all day. This time it was a flock of sea gulls.

I thought the Green Line was near the river, but it turns out the commuter rail tracks are closer. We saw a work train slowly roll by behind the trees.

It's great to be paddling on November 20th, but the sun is low in the sky even at mid-day. Heading back up-river. Sue and Bea paddling into the sun.

Jordan and Sue traveling past the put-in and heading upstream past CRCK.

There's a lot more bridges heading in this direction. Bridges of all kinds. Caught a shot of a freight train on a bridge.

Sue heading under the railroad bridge.

Jordan heading toward an old foot bridge in Riverside Park. The bridge was blocked to traffic. It doesn't seem to lead anywhere now anyway. The trails on the hilly side seem to be gone.

The planking seemed pretty intact on the foot bridge.

Bea drifting past the dock and the Riverside Park sign.

A cement roadway bridge getting some major renovations.

Sue under the bridge, heading for the limbo stick 2 x 4 warning boaters of the low clearance.

There were other boaters on the river, but we only saw one that was motorized.

Jordan, Sue and Bea with the Leo Jerome Martin Memorial Golf Course in the background. The golf course is on both sides of the river for at least a mile.

Further upstream is a long golf cart bridge that crosses the river with just enough room at one end to pass underneath comfortably. At this point, the current in the river has also become noticeable.

Looks like Sue can't help but duck a little as she goes under the bridge.

About a half mile further we reached the end of our upstream travels before we reached the Washington Street bridge. The water became too shallow and rough for the glass sea kayaks.

Beyond the bridge is a low head dam that should be avoided anyway.

We drifted back and found an eddy to discuss our lunch stop options. It was 2:00pm.

There were no parks nearby but we found a spot to pull out near a parking lot.

The paddle back downstream was much easier with the current pushing us along.

It was hard to decide whether to enjoy the push and just drift along or to paddle hard and see how fast we could go. Jordan in a short stretch of river that looks secluded from civilization.

Bea, Jordan and Sue.

Drifting back under the golf cart bridge.

Jordan drifting toward the Park Road/Concord Street Bridge.

Golfers waiting to tee off. I used to golf...but I hate waiting in line for things, so I find kayaking much more enjoyable.

Route 128 / I95 bridge.

Bea reaches for the limbo stick at the bridge under repair.

They had some extensive supports with steel I-beams and wooden laminated I-beams that looked like they were supporting forms for patching the under-side of the concrete bridge.

There were a few other kayaks out throughout the day. I'm sure this place is packed on a nice summer day.

Paddling under the Mass Pike.

Drifting toward the last bridge before the take-out. Enjoying the last few minutes on the water. The days and trips are too short this time of year.

A squirrel scurries across the river on the edge of the Route 30 bridge I-beam.

A goose hanging around waiting for its next meal.

A couple of big swans come by to see if there's any food.

Sue feeds the swans right out of her hand. I wouldn't be that trusting...

I like this shot of the swans showing the sweeping back arch of their wings.

Bea gets in the act and feeds the geese.

The ducks were the last to show up and I don't think there was anything left for them.

Look at the size of the swans compared to the size of the mallard ducks.

Here is a topo map of the area with our track highlighted.

A few specs from the trip:

Launch time: 11:23am
Stop for lunch: 2:02pm at 7.78 miles
Back on the water: 2:30pm
Take-out time: 3:09pm
Total Distance Paddled: 10.30 miles

As we took our time putting our gear back in the cars, Ken stopped by again to tell us how his day of sailing went. From what I heard, it was very gusty...too much wind or not enough at all. We all agreed, though, that it was great to be outside enjoying the the 60-something degree weather on November 20th!

Thanks for coming out everybody. I know we all hope we can do this again before the end of the year.
centered
antispam: No

Re: Charles River - Newton - November 20, 2011

Post by centered »

The Charles River was a good choice for taking advantage of another warm, but breezy, Fall weekend. I'm always glad to get out there and paddle with you all. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for more mild weekend weather as long as we can get it.
Sue
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Great trip everyone. Thank you for organizing and posting, Norm. I have not had a chance to look at my pictures yet, but hope I have a few that came out OK. I'll post them after Thanksgiving!

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Another fun day out on the water! Lots of great pictures too!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
Chip

Post by Chip »

That's a nice little paddle. Keep it going guys.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire