Squantum Shoreline - March 19, 2012

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Squantum Shoreline - March 19, 2012

Post by norm »

Bea and I got together for another Monday evening paddle, launching from Morrisey Boulevard, across from the National Grid gas tank.

As we were getting ready to go out, there was another kayaker coming in. We said a quick hello, but didn't daudle too long as I was already late arriving due to traffic.

It had been a beautiful day with temperatures in the 70's, but now the cold front had started moving in, the temperature was dropping and the wind had picked up and changed to blowing in from the east, The air temperature dropped to about 51 by the time we got off the water but it was still comfortable in the paddling clothing. We decided to stay close to shore and headed straight across the mouth of the Neponset River to the Marina Bay marina. We went right in amongst the docks.

The only small boat we saw in the water was an Environmental Police boat.

We were in the marina at about dead low tide. Felt like we were in the land of the giant pilings.

There were a few very big boats in the water.

I failed to get a picture of the breakwater that surrounds the marina. It was towering over our heads.

We chose to hug the shoreline of Squantum and followed it around to the gravel bar that connects Squantum to Thomson Island. I read about a second salt marsh that has been re-opened to tidal flow and we could see an opening that I thought might be it, but as we got close, it turned out to just be a little cove that was now dry.

We continued out along the coast of Thomson Island till we were about to get into the wind again. Then we discussed whether to ride the wind straight back across or retrace our path back the way we came. The wind might have taken us back too quick and right into the path of 2 groups of sailboats practicing their turns, so we decided to go back the way we came.

Heading toward Squantum, there is a wooded area with lots of birch trees that were standing out in the low sunlight.

Here is a topo map of the area with our track highlighted.

A few specs from the trip:

Launch time: 4:00pm
Take-out time: 6:00pm
Total Distance Paddled: 5.8 miles

Thanks for coming into Boston for another nice leisurely paddle Bea. One of these days we'll get less wind.

Norm
kayakerjnj

Re: Squantum Shoreline - March 19, 2012

Post by kayakerjnj »

You guys had a beauty of an afternoon.

Happy you got out!!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Great evening on the water. Nice to see you back in your yellow boat!
IMG_7163.JPG
IMG_7163.JPG (99.87 KiB) Viewed 6965 times
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
KAYAK KEN

Post by KAYAK KEN »

Looks like Dorchester bay is becoming popular, Nice to see you guys squeaking in some paddle time during the week. Ken