Wollaston to Rainsford Island - March 24, 2012

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Wollaston to Rainsford Island - March 24, 2012

Post by norm »

Friday afternoon, 3/23/12, I think many of us were thinking the same thing - how can we take advantage of this great March weather before it ends and goes back to normal. I was spoiled, already getting out 3 times in the last 6 days, but I wanted more. So, I sent an email to a group I thought might want to get out Saturday and got a response from Jordan that there was already an email discussion ongoing between him, Ken and Nelson. Well, the email list grew to eight people and the outcome was a trip that fit everyone's needs and schedules. The plan was to meet at Wollaston Beach near the Clam Box at 12:30pm and paddle out to Rainsford Island.

The group for the day would be: Nelson, Ken, Jordan, Bea, Sue, Sandy, Jim and Norm.

The weather forecast I read was for calm winds but there was a pretty good breeze blowing in when we all arrived and started unloading our boats from the cars. The sand was pretty high at the sea wall, so we didn't have to carry the boats down a stairway or ramp, we just helped each other pass the boats over the wall.

Once we all had our dry suits on, we got all the boats down to the water.

No sunscreen was needed with the overcast sky. I don't know what the actual temperature was, probably in the low 50's, but the breeze was definitely going to keep us all cool and comfortable in our dry suits.

There was a little bit of chop with the wind blowing straight in from the east.

Gathering up on the water as everyone gets launched.

At this point I put away my camera, so, many of these on-water pictures are borrowed from Bea's Facebook Album.

Ken getting his power stroke going.

Sandy, the newest Wild Turkey Paddler who we met through the New England Kayak Club Meetup group's pool sessions in Randolph.

Passing Hangman Island.

Gathered up to wait for a commuter boat to pass.

Harbor Express headed for the Fore River.

One guess who reached Rainsford first. Jordan, ready to help pull everyone else up on the beach.

Bea is talking to Jim, a Turkey member for a year that finally started coming out to paddle with us after meeting many of us at the pool sessions.

Bea's picture of Sue being a brat, putting rabbit ears behind my head.

Bea likes the colorful kayaks.

A few of us decided to do a little exploring. There is no official camping allowed on this island, but Bea and I saw campers here last summer on the beach between the two drumlins. We had landed on the western beach and we came across a nice campsite right behind the beach. It had a barrel all prepared with a trash bag liner, a fire ring and a charcoal grill.

I'm sure the site is much more private when there are leaves on the bushes.

Bea and Sue took a look inside the grill and found a little surprise.

Pretty nice fire ring but only one seat.

On the top of the west drumlin there is a nice grassy area and another big fire ring.

Looking down onto the beach from the west drumlin.

There isn't much beach between the west and east drumlins.

It looks like this is where you sign in...anybody got a paint spray can with them?

I guess it's a patriotic crowd that hangs out here.

All the comforts of home.

Plenty of seats at this fire pit.

The ladies found the "Ladies Room", complete with a rock sign that has "Occupied" written on one side and "Vacant" on the other.

The three-sided "privy" was surrounded by bushes. We went around to see what was inside.

There was even a mirror and hand sanitizer.

It struck me that this was the neatest, cleanest island I've seen out here. Whoever uses this island does a great job keeping the place in order.

We didn't take the time to explore the east drumlin. We headed back to the beach.

We hung around on the beach chatting for a little while longer before heading back out. The air temp was comfortable with all the gear on, but our hands were a little cold when just standing around.

Nelson and Ken back on the water.

Gathering up to circle the island before heading back to Wollaston beach.

Riding the wind back to the beach.

It seemed like a fast ride back, but the GPS said I never did more than 4mph. Lots of wave riding with the wind directly behind us all the way back. I bet some of the others had faster rides than I did.

Jordan still had his kayaking smile on when we landed at Wollaston Beach.

Here is a topo map of the area with our track highlighted.

A few specs from the trip:

Launch time: 1:00pm
Stop on Rainsford: 2:05pm Distance: 3.77 miles
Left Rainsford: 2:39pm
Take-out time: 3:47pm
Total Distance Paddled: 8.22 miles

Thanks for including the rest of us in your trip plan Nelson, Ken and Jordan. We all had a good time and enjoyed the quick paddle.

Norm
centered
antispam: No

Re: Wollaston to Rainsford Island - March 24, 2012

Post by centered »

A fun trip! Nice pics, Norm and Bea.
Sue
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

You're the man!! Thanks Norm.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Norm: great report ( as usual!). Nelson: you didn't take any pictures? Back-in-the-day you used to take a million. Get your camera out of storage! I always loved your pictures.

NorwayLady
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

NorwayLady wrote:Nelson: you didn't take any pictures? Back-in-the-day you used to take a million. Get your camera out of storage! I always loved your pictures.
NorwayLady

I'm lucky I had all my other gear with me. I'm more apt to take my camera when we go someplace new (but locally that's getting hard to do). Plus, I am a little disappointed with the photo quality of the Optio. It's pretty good for what it was made for but just lacks a little in picture quality. Probably time for a new camera.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Another great time on the water.

A little texture really made the trip back a lot more enjoyable!

Thanks to everyone for accommodating my work schedule, and making it a fun outing.
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
KAYAK KEN

Post by KAYAK KEN »

Thanks Norm,great report, Had a great time . It was nice to see so many people show up with short notice. Hope to see all you guys real soon! Ken