Monponsett Ponds - April 1, 2012

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Monponsett Ponds - April 1, 2012

Post by norm »

The weekend forecasts looked terrible at the end of the week. I thought it was going to be a complete washout and a great weekend to attend the Kittery Trading Post Kayak Expo. So, a few of us went to the show on Saturday and had a good time attending seminars and buying a few items at very good prices - no sales tax and 15% off their already decent prices. The expo also had manufacturers reps to answer any questions, which is handy as you get more experience and come across equipment problems or really want to know what differentiates the product models.

Well, during the show I got an email from Sue mentioning she was thinking of going out on Monponsett Pond in her Greenland boat on Sunday. She had checked the weather and found a window of time that looked promising. When I got home, I asked Sue if she wanted company and she said yes, so I posted the trip Saturday night and sent out emails to Bea and Sandy who were at the show and mentioned they might want to get out Sunday.

When we arrived at the boat ramp and talked things over, it turned out I was the one with the most knowledge of the Ponds, so I proposed we paddle counter-clockwise around both ponds for a trip of 6 miles or so. The skies were pretty clear and the sun was very bright - definitely a day for sunglasses. The air temperature was very comfortable for wearing dry suits, probably about 50 degrees. The water temperature was very comfortable also. No need for gloves or pogies.

The boat ramp area was rebuilt last year and is still in very nice shape. They have not put the docks in the water yet, but that did not stop people from launching their motorboats. There were a couple bass boats in the water when we arrived and quite a few more arrived before we left.

Sandy, Bea and Sue at the historical marker placed at the boat ramp last year when it was rebuilt. To read more about the ramp renovations and the marker, there is a story here: http://www.wickedlocal.com/halifax/news/x1916544047/State-opens-Monponsett-boat-ramp?img=3#axzz1qpnEyzIc

We headed north past the Monponsett Inn. I mentioned the alternate launch spot which has a sandy beach and Bea headed closer to shore to check it out.

Sue switched all the way over to Greenland, using both here Tahe Marine Greenland boat and her homemade Greenland paddle.

Bea always picks out a house she thinks would make a nice Wild Turkey Paddlers clubhouse and here is her selection for today.

Sandy was trying out her brand new Werner paddle that she spent hours picking out at the KTP Expo.

At the far side of the pond where there are no homes, Sandy retrieved a big kickball that must have blown across the pond recently.

Sue is ready to take a swing at the ball with her Greenland stick.

Sandy takes a whack at the ball while Bea takes a picture.

Bea tries to lift the ball with her paddle without tipping herself over.

Another look at Bea's paddle ball method.

Finally got the ball high in the air. Monponsett Inn in the background. I wonder if anyone was watching us from across the pond?

Bea explaining how to make your paddle disappear in pictures.

At the southern end of the west pond, there were many seagulls and swans. At one point, I counted 11 swans. I don't recall seeing that many swans here in past trips.

Next we headed under the roadway to East Monponsett Pond. I took the lead to make sure there were no rocks for the glass boats to worry about.

Sandy gets her first look at the second pond.

Bea is having a good time.

Bea and Sandy comparing notes on all their world travels.

Sue paddling past a sandy beach where there was a dog running around. The dog wanted to swim out to us but it found the water too chilly.

We saw a couple great blue herons, but they wouldn't let me get a good picture.

After circling the east pond, we got back to the bridge to find a small power boat making their way through the tunnel.

Waiting for our turn to pass under the roadway.

Sue was the first one to go through this time.

Then Sandy and Bea followed.

One of the bigger fishing boats.

The boat ramp parking lot filled up quite a bit while we were out paddling.

Here is a topo map of the area with our track highlighted.

A few specs from the trip:

Launch time: 11:04am
Take-out time: 1:38pm
Total Distance Paddled: 6.9 miles

Thanks Sue for picking a great time slot and a nice location for an easy paddle. We all had a great time.

Norm
centered
antispam: No

Re: Monponsett Ponds - April 1, 2012

Post by centered »

Norm, Bea and Sandy, thanks for joining me, and for making it a "real trip". Report and all! Nice pics and report as always Norm.
Sue
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Great picture of the pink ball up in the air. Good thing none of us flipped. Close encounters.

Fun day on the water with friends. Thank you for documenting, Norm.

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

You guys had a great day! Thanks for sharing
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan