First Monomoy trip May 17th 2012

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

Briggsy

First Monomoy trip May 17th 2012

Post by Briggsy »

For the last month or so I have been trying to circumnavigate Monomoy to complete my Cape Cod trip before the Great Whites arrive for summer vacation. I think this is the third attempt this year where days off work and tides have worked out but the weather has not. Four days ago the forecast was fab, then 3 days ago it got worse, 2 days ago a small craft advisory was in effect thru Weds pm and that was extended yesterday to thru Thurs pm. Norm has been ready to go every time, but last minute the weather turned to crap.Sorry Norm
So ever hopeful, I checked the Nauset Webcam at 7am and it didn't look too bad. I loaded up and headed out for Morris Island Causeway to launch, thinking that if I was able to do the trip I could portage over to the Atlantic side and paddle all the way round.
Calm start
Calm start
P5170050.JPG (52.46 KiB) Viewed 7519 times

It was fairly calm to begin with but the wind soon picked up and within 20 mins of paddling it was up to 15 to 20 mph as I got out to the more open water. I stopped on the beach to check out the Atlantic side and sure enough it WAS pretty gnarly, dumping waves and a weird sideways current and swell.
Rough Waters
Rough Waters
P5170051.JPG (34.78 KiB) Viewed 7519 times
Well, I thought, I'm out now might as well make a trip of it. Decided to circumnavigate North Monomoy, so headed out towards Nantucket sound at 90 deg to the wind. After rounding the sandbar and beginning to head south I had second thoughts as I was really moving with the strong winds behind me and the thought of the slog back up did not appeal. I went for it anyway.....why not, I had all day and the water was actually WARM. After locating the channel between the islands it was actually easy going in the lee of North Monomoy. There were plenty of Horseshoe crabs and one dead baby seal.
Horseshoe Crabs
Horseshoe Crabs
P5170054.JPG (55.2 KiB) Viewed 7519 times
Seal
Seal
P5170055.JPG (45.89 KiB) Viewed 7519 times

Paddling North in the "Southway" was a little tough at times but got worse as I crossed from Monomoy to Morris Island, yep, they were right about the "small craft advisory"
Bird hanging on
Bird hanging on
P5170057.JPG (26.41 KiB) Viewed 7519 times
Morris Island cottage
Morris Island cottage
P5170058.JPG (53.04 KiB) Viewed 7519 times

Made it back safely to the launch after 3hrs paddling and covering 8 hard miles.
Looking forward to more trips out there this summer.
Briggsy
mon.may.12.jpg
mon.may.12.jpg (73.58 KiB) Viewed 7519 times
kayakerjnj

Re: First Monomoy trip May 17th 2012

Post by kayakerjnj »

You had a really interesting day out there. A bit of everything :)

It's been a few years since I've been to Monomoy, looking forward to returning!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
norm

Post by norm »

I'm glad to see you got out paddling and happier to see you made it back. Boston Inner Harbor looked so calm yesterday, I was questioning my choice to go to work and wait for a better day to tackle Monomy. So, its nice to hear that the forecasts were right and it was too rough down there to circumnavigate. I also heard on the traffic reports that getting off-Cape was a mess in the afternoon. Can't wait till they finish up the bridge work on the Sagamore...it sounds like even the Bourne is backing up now also.

Norm
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

Hi Briggsy, It's been my (limited) experience that the outer side is usually dumping waves (usually bigger than in your photo) and weird sideways current and swell. As long as you don't want to land, though, it's not a problem. I'd love to do this trip with you - it's one of my favorite places. If you know at all ahead of time that you're going around the whole of Monomoy, perhaps you'd include me in the heads-up.

NK