Slocums River to Allens Pond - July 7, 2012

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Slocums River to Allens Pond - July 7, 2012

Post by norm »

This trip was set up with Bea in mind but she couldn't make it after re-injuring her shoulder. The request for the trip was for warm water and beautiful beaches somewhere on the south coast. Since there was just a trip to West Island last week, I looked for something different and new that would bring us to beaches as well as to a new destination for some of us. I also wanted to stay away from parking near beaches that might cause a lot of traffic for the drive home.

I remembered reading a trip report from years ago where a group set out on a trip and couldn't find Allens Pond, so I thought that might be an interesting trip to try. I figured out the distances and it seemed reasonable to get there from Russel Mills Landing where I have launched before, so I posted the trip Friday morning after finding out Thursday night that nobody else had plans for a trip. I knew I'd at least have Sandy and Sue joining me.

Barb said she'd be joining us also and Bob said he was a maybe. Gif said he'd meet us when we came by Demarest Lloyd State Park where he planned to launch.

When we arrived at Russel Mills Landing, the green-head biting flies were swarming the car before we even got out. Sue and I had car-pooled in my truck. The green-heads attacked her as soon as she stepped out and didn't stop till she sat down with her back against a wall and started fighting back, killing them as they landed on her. She was happy to get on the water as soon as possible.

The Slocums River was nice and calm and everything along the banks was green. It was already pretty warm and we were looking forward to getting out into more open water where there would be a little breeze.

There didn't seem to be as many birds along the river as I've seen in past trips here, but maybe they were hiding in the shade. There were plenty of osprey around all day, but I couldn't get close enough for a really good picture.

Paddling down the river was pretty peaceful and uneventful with no power boats around at all. As we got close to the state park, we came across a group setting up on a grassy peninsula to fish, swim and sun-bathe. Sue wondered how they could put up with the biting flies.

As we arrived at Demarest Llloyd State Park and could see the parking lot near the beach, we started looking for Gif. We planned to stop for a minute as Bob needed to tighten the straps on his hatch covers. Eventually we spotted Gif, but he was not near the beach, he was far off-shore and as we approached he moved away. So, we all stopped and had a snack break while Bob made his quick stop. Eventually we caught up to Gif who probably wondered what was taking us so long.

The water got a little rougher as we rounded Barneys Joy Point. Gif told me that the entry to Allens Pond can be rough, usually with a long series of waves that can be easier to ride in on the left side. Sue and Gif led the way along Little Beach.

The opening to the pond was further west in reality than it is on the charts. I guess it moves year to year. Gif went in first and Sue followed. Sue got a little sideways but managed to brace properly and recovered nicely. I thought about taking pictures, but got in trouble last week trying to use the camera while riding waves. My trip in was uneventful as I managed to find a lull between waves for a simple ride in. I tried to turn into an eddy to get the camera out but took too long to get set up.

I just managed to catch Sandy as she made it through the waves and into the pond entrance.

Barb was the last one to come in. I was able to get a shot of her as she finished riding in and started to round the corner into the little creek that runs into the pond.

The waves really were not very large, but it was a new experience for many of us to find our way in through the surf and make our way into an inlet creek that quickly turned right behind a low beach/sand bar. We gathered up, all smiles after a new, enjoyable experience.

The tide was still flowing in, but wouldn't be for much longer. We discussed stopping for lunch now or doing a little exploring first. The decision was to check out the pond while there was still plenty of water. It seemed very shallow even though it was high tide. So we moved on.

Allens Pond was full of marsh grass islands and was protected from the open water by low grassy dunes.

Just like the Westport River a little further west, there are plenty of osprey nest platforms.

We made our way about a mile into the pond to where we could see the majority of the area. There were some houses along the coast, off in the distance.

After a while, a little voice in my head (that sounded like Bea) was saying: "it's time to turn around - this is flat-water"! It seemed everyone was having the same thought as we all kinda stopped and drifted around.

We headed back toward the entrance and stopped at the end of the grassy dune where the barrier sand bar begins. There was a parking lot for the beach nearby, visible in the background of this picture.

After having lunch, Sue did a little rolling demonstration and found the water a little chilly. Gif got into the act and showed us his rolling skills too.

There was an opening in the fencing, that was set up to protect the nesting birds, that allowed us access to the Buzzards Bay side of the sand dune. Most of us took a walk to the other side and went for a swim and a little body surfing in the waves. Our stop lasted about an hour and then we got back into the boats to head home.

On the way out into the surf, Barb was the last one to come out and I was able to get some action shots as she came through the waves.

A group of catamarans passed us heading in the opposite direction.

Gif took out at Demarest Lloyd State Park where the sand bar now made it hard for bathers to get into water more than waist deep. The rest of us had another 3.5 miles to get back to Russel Mills Landing. Next time I think I'll skip the river and put in at the state park.

On the way up-river, I got a picture of a great egret in a tree.

And my last picture of the day was a sea-weed, rocky shoreline landscape shot.

Here is a topo map of the area with our track highlighted.

A few specs from the trip:

Launch time: 9:30am
Lunch stop: 12:27:pm Distance: 9.01 miles
Back on water: 1:28pm
Take-out time: 3:35pm
Total Distance Paddled: 15.91 miles

I was expecting a little more off-shore wave riding action on the return trip, but the winds were a little light. It was still an excellent day on the water.

Thanks for joining me on the trip everyone.

Norm
kayakerjnj

Re: Slocums River to Allens Pond - July 7, 2012

Post by kayakerjnj »

Great trip report Norm!

Always love your photos :D
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
cgr

Post by cgr »

Did you see any cattle?
norm

Post by norm »

cgr wrote:Did you see any cattle?

No, didn't see any cattle this time. I was looking for them too, along with the farmer on the tractor who came toward us to run us off the private property. I didn't use the picture in the report, but there was a picnic table on a rock outcropping near the point where the farm is. It looked inviting to visitors and I didn't see any No Trespassing signs. Maybe they changed their attitude towards beach visitors.
wildwoman

Post by wildwoman »

I finally figured out how to post photos in trip reports.....

Allen's Pond
Who's Stalking Who.jpg
Who's Stalking Who.jpg (24.92 KiB) Viewed 8444 times

Sandy and Norm -- map check
Sandy and Norm -- Map Check resized.jpg
Sandy and Norm -- Map Check resized.jpg (32.2 KiB) Viewed 8444 times

The newest member of the Yellow Boat Subchapter of the WTP
Sue's_Nue_Bateau.jpg
Sue's_Nue_Bateau.jpg (51.67 KiB) Viewed 8444 times

These birds were big and mean looking and cried A LOT when we passed by
Osprey.jpg
Osprey.jpg (85.13 KiB) Viewed 8444 times