AMC's Knubble Bay Camp, Georgetown, Maine

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

NorwayLady

AMC's Knubble Bay Camp, Georgetown, Maine

Post by NorwayLady »

Last week my husband's family rented AMC's Knubble Bay Camp in Georgetown, Maine, a few miles outside of Bath. The Knubble Bay Camp is located on a tidal inlet between Kennebec river and the ocean. Immediately the Wild Turkeys came to mind. We have been talking about a group trip, and this might be a great place for us. Here is the public link to the photos I took:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 498807438c

I talked to the caretaker Mary, and she said that groups like the Wild Turkeys was what they had in mind when the camp was built. The camp can be reserved by AMC members or non-members. I don't remember the exact details, but she said something like that AMC schedule all their own events in advance, and then they open it up for anyone to rent. The rental schedule is posted on the AMC website. The season goes May to late October.

Prior to our Knubble Bay trip I did some research about seakayaking in the area, printed out NOAA booklet charts and tide/current tables. From what I read I realized that there are areas with very strong currents, some running up to 4.5 knots. We could be stuck on the wrong side of a gut for hours. I voiced this concern when I talked to caretaker Mary, and she was kind enough to give me her personal email and said she would gladly help the Turkeys out with trip planning if we decided to come up. One of the guts (Lower Hells Gate) is like Little Harbor - only bigger!!! - according to one Wild Turkey who has paddled the area. So yes, some serious trip planning is needed if we head up there.

Enjoy the photos, and maybe we can pull off a trip next year?

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
noseykate

Re: AMC's Knubble Bay Camp, Georgetown, Maine

Post by noseykate »

This looks wonderful! Why have we not done this before?
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Great photos, Bea! Looks like it was a fun time.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Kayak Krazy
antispam: No

Post by Kayak Krazy »

Wow! Thanks for sharing all those cool shots. It looks like a magical spot.

I would love to make a trip this fall or maybe next spring.

M.
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Another spectacular looking place to bring my Mutha Hubba!! :lol:
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
cgr

Post by cgr »

kayakerjnj wrote:Another spectacular looking place to bring my Mutha Hubba!! :lol:

Pool and a pond. Pond would be good for you...
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Let's put it on the "to do" list for 2013! I'll try and find out when they open up the booking for outside groups. I think Mary mentioned April 1, but I could be wrong....From what I understand the extended weekends (Thursday-Sunday) fill up quickly.
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
Rubberduckie

Post by Rubberduckie »

Knubble Bay is fabulous-have stayed there for a couple of AMC events as well as 5 days of guide training in May. The facilities are well-kept, comfortable, the spot gorgeous and rental incredibly affordable. I'm pretty sure the central AMC line starts taking reservations in January.

As for paddling, there are lots of options depending on your preference. if you prefer flat water, there are plenty of protected places on the river. If you like to play in current, Lower Hell's Gate is a blast on the outgoing ebb-especially on a big tide!

Lower Hell's Gate is quite tame if you time it at slack. Have also seen it quite demure on a lower tide day, and on the flood. There are current tables for the area as well so you can plan accordingly. Mary Baker, the caretaker you met is an experienced Maine guide, and would give you good advice with your planning, too.
Cetus LV Lime/White/Yellow Trim
Necky Jive Red/Blue