Pier 5 Narragansett to Pt. Judith/Harbor of Refuge R.I.

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

centered
antispam: No

Pier 5 Narragansett to Pt. Judith/Harbor of Refuge R.I.

Post by centered »

Hi All,
This is my first go at a trip report from a paddle on Sunday, 9/16/12. Please bear with me while I attempt to channel Norm and get something half-way decent posted.

Sunday was my available day to paddle last week, and I was interested in seeing more of R.I. and Narragansett Bay. I e-mailed a few paddlers I thought might be game, and Jim, Archee and Jay were up for it. Archee posted the above trip on the meet-up site, but there were no other takers. Jim was unable to make it at the last minute, so just 3 of us met at Pier 5 at 9:30. The swells were breaking on the rocks of the breakwater and washing around to the other side where we would be putting in, using a public boat ramp.

The ramp was busy, considering the lack of parking on the breakwater for trailers

These kayak fishermen were waiting to take out.
Archee and Jay waiting for a wave to launch. Kinda rough on the gelcoat, but the waves did not allow for a casual take off, and there is nothing but rocks and concrete when the water's this high.

Last one in is Archee, and we're on our way

We headed south, toward Pt. Judith with the waves pounding the rocks all along.

Pt. Judith Lighthouse

With Archee and Jay

There were about a dozen surfers in fron of the lighthouse that you can just make out along the bottom of the seawall.

They were waiting for these swells to build up in the shallow waters around the point. They didn't have long to wait as the waves were coming in every 8-10 seconds, it seemed.

Once we were around the point heading into the opening in the large breakwater forming the harbor, we saw two guys in a canoe heading in the same direction. They were not making much progress fighting the wind and waves. It looked like they had some kind of pontoons rigged to their canoe and were out there fishing. It might be time for them to look into an outboard engine...

There was a swell between me and this fishing boat.

Here's Jay in the foreground, with all of us on the same level, more or less.

Once inside the breakwater, it was a lot calmer, just a few wind-driven waves, and we were able to land and have lunch.

Here's Jay and Archee saying how calm and smooth the water looks from the top of the breakwater

Block Island is visible on the horizon. There is a B.I. kayak trip in my future....

When we got back in the boats and headed west toward the inner harbor, the wind was right in our faces. We had a 1.5nm slog, but we knew it would be a nice ride back. The flags all along the way were straight out.

I'm not sure what this building is, but there were a lot of people out in front of it enjoying the last days of Summer. This is at the entrance to the inner harbor.

Getting in through the narrow channel was a bit of work against the out-going tide, but once inside, the harbor opened up into a nice protected place.

There was a working side and a leisure side to the harbor. We stayed mostly on the working side.

Just outside a large warehouse in a slip we saw a big octagonal cage that we had to take a closer look at.

We all tried to guess what it was. Jay thought maybe "ultimate cage-fighting underwater"? I think Archee said bikini wrestling ring? Shark cage? Fortunately, a man who works in the area came along and told us it was a tuna ball. According to him, it is used to raise and keep tuna until there is a market, or they are mature enough to sell. He said it would be submerged a lot more and could be towed out into the Gulf Stream and kept there. It was made out of very tough plastic, and brand new.

This is also the home for a couple of ferries that service B.I. Here's one coming in, the Carol Jean.

We took another short break on a beach on the opposite side of the harbor. Jay's having fun, but enjoying the chance to stretch.

We climbed back in our boats and headed toward the twin jetties that mark the harbor, having a much easier trip out thanks to the tide.

The swells picked up where they left off when we re-entered the open sound, and continued all the way back to Pier 5.

When we got back to the take-out, there were 6 or so surfers just off the breakwater. The waves built up nicely, but the rides were short because of the rocks, and the guys had had to bail out quickly.

Archee tried to catch up with a few on the final turn.

Happily, there was enough exposed beach at this time, and landing was a breeze.

We covered 17 miles, and enjoyed paddling in a new spot (for me, anyway) I look forward to returning here soon!
Sue
Ken R
antispam: No

Re: Pier 5 Narragansett to Pt. Judith/Harbor of Refuge R.I.

Post by Ken R »

Great report.
KR
norm

Post by norm »

Very good job on the trip report Sue! Excellent job keeping the horizons straight on the pictures too. I guess I can retire from writing trip reports when I'm out paddling with you. :lol:

Can't wait to try paddling in that same area.

Norm
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Awesome day out there!

Fun pictures too, thanks for sharing! :D
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
Mark

Post by Mark »

Nice report, Sue! I was trying to recall if I had been where you were that day, but I can't remember five minutes ago. :oops:

And thanks for the education about "tuna veal". I had no idea. 0_o

Mark