Cohasset Coast and Minot Light - August 4, 2013

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Cohasset Coast and Minot Light - August 4, 2013

Post by norm »

No planning, no posting, no group cohesion, no trip levels, no rules, no carpooling, no navigating, no waiting for people showing up late, nobody yelling at me at the end of the trip. Paddled at whatever speed I wanted, went as far as I felt like going, let the boat decide what direction to go, stopped for a snack very early. I could get used to paddling alone. So much easier!

Please use the link below to enjoy pictures on Facebook that should be accessible to anyone, even if you do not have a Facebook account. Please read the comments included with the pictures for more information about the trip.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 2b11038126
Ken R
antispam: No

Re: Cohasset Coast and Minot Light - August 4, 2013

Post by Ken R »

Looks like a great trip Norm.
KR
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

ah, now you know the pleasures of solo trips, and have made a pretty thorough listing of them. May you enjoy many more.

NK
Surge_on

Post by Surge_on »

I've often thought of doing this during the week, but I have always been intimidated by the
parking issues in Cohasset. Any tips?

Mike
cgr

Post by cgr »

There is almost always parking along the road between the lobster pound & the restaurant. Drop your gear off at the boat ramp parking area, and then park. It's about a 5 min walk max if you take the path along the water.
Brenda

Post by Brenda »

So you're the Norm we thought was Steve shooting through under the bridge! I was in the moving water class you passed. What a beautiful day for a paddle!
Brenda

Post by Brenda »

And looks like you missed some excitement out at Minot.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/cohasset/new ... f-Cohasset

Thankfully all are OK.
norm

Post by norm »

Brenda wrote:And looks like you missed some excitement out at Minot.

Wow, thanks for that news article link. I could have easily been out there at that time if I had decided to go out to the light a second time instead of heading back into the harbor a little after 1:00. Since I was out alone, I told my wife I'd be home by 3:00pm, so I thought I better head in early. The weathermen also were wrong saying storms would be popping up in the early afternoon.

I was loading my gear into my truck when the Harbormaster boat took off from the dock at full speed with siren blaring. I thought it was unusual for them to be running so fast in the busy inner harbor and was happy to not still be on the water in their path. A sinking boat call explains it. Usually when I've heard a harbormaster hit the siren, it's just for a moment as they stop a boat going too fast. Never heard a boat siren for that long.

Sorry for cutting through your class in the current under the bridge at Little Harbor like that. I didn't see Phil in the eddy on the left with 2 others till I was in the middle of the current and then decided I might as well just pass through. I guess I should have said hi at the put-in, but I wasn't sure who you all were then and I didn't want to butt-in or seem like I was trying to join your trip. I got the cold shoulder last time I tried to introduce myself to somebody in Cohasset.
Rubberduckie

Post by Rubberduckie »

No worries, Norm. We actually thought it was quite funny. I was waiting on the other side for Steve to make his entrance and to play catcher if necessary. So, when a guy in a boat came through, I just assumed it was Steve!
Cetus LV Lime/White/Yellow Trim
Necky Jive Red/Blue