Ockway Bay to Osterville Grand Island

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

Birdseye

Ockway Bay to Osterville Grand Island

Post by Birdseye »

In attendance: Nelson, Pat, Chip(otle), Ron, Steve, Todd & John

All but John met at Applebee's in Plymouth for the caravan down to Mashpee. As usual I forgot something and this time it happened to be the second set of foam blocks so I could take Pat's boat. Luckily he had a couple of towels that when folded just right did the trick. We loaded up the boat and headed south. We made it to Mashpee in excellent time; as a matter of fact we were making such good time we passed the put in twice. I'd been here before but for some damn reason I just couldn't see the place this time. I think Steven's navigational skills are having an ill effect on me.

We offloaded our boats and gear but since the Ockway Bay boat launch parking area is restricted to residents only we had to shuttled our cars to a nearby parking lot. John showed up just in time to take part in the shuttle and before too long we were on our way. A few strokes into Ockway Bay and a gust of wind caused a cat's-paw effect on the surface of the water. I wonder if this was any indication the high winds predicted for today might actually materialize. Rather than paddle straight across Popponesset Bay towards the outlet to Nantucket Sound, we took the more scenic route under the bridge and around the West side of Popponessett Island. Before completing our circumnavigation of Popponessett Island we stopped on the bay side of Popponessett Beach so we could see what the conditions were like in the Sound. There was some wind and small waves but nothing that seemed to challenging for this group so we proceeded on.

The waves at the outlet to the Sound were less than when I was here before but as we paddled further they became more frequent and confused. Since there were no boats in the channel we decided to make our crossing early. The conditions here were the most exciting of the trip and we had to stay alert for the next 15 minutes or so until we had completely rounded Marsh Point and put some distance between us and the channel. From here we flew across the Sound towards Sampson Island. The wind was at our back and there were plenty of waves to catch. Steve challenged me to do a roll to which I gladly agreed since I felt a serious need to cool off. I went over and set up but wasn't able to get all the way up on the first try. I set up again and this time made it up. I don't know if it was the conditions, my skeg being down or that my hydration bladder was strapped to my PFD but it was a bit more difficult to get up than it was in Hingham this past Thursday. I tried it again just for good measure and came up but it didn't feel clean.

A quarter mile to go and we passed Sampson's Island and into Cotuit Bay. Some wanted to take a break so we picked out a sandy spot to land on Osterville Grand just north of the Seapuit River. The wind had picked up considerably minutes after we entered Cotuit Bay and white caps were forming everywhere. We ate our lunch and talked about the crossing and about that lifeguard I missed because I was having too much fun riding the waves. Pat pulled out his wind meter and clocked the wind between 17 and 22 mph and it didn't seem to be letting up much. Our plan was to paddle around Osterville Grand before heading back but the wind remained steady and would be in our face on the return trip. No one really knew what to expect once we got back into the Sound or how long it would take us to get back so erring on the side of caution we decided to finish our lunch and head back.

Once on the water the wind was strong. We made our way back past Sampson and could feel the effects of the wind immediately. Despite the strong wind and seas we averaged about 3.5 knots on the way back but unfortunately the lifeguard was now wearing a t-shirt. We all found our cadence and forged on without incident (or any additional rolls). We tightened up the group before crossing the channel, then headed north towards the inlet into Popponessett Bay. Once inside we pulled up to the beach for a break while being entertained by Steve doing his imitation of a breaching whale splashing into the water (he did this numerous times throughout our trip).

The decision was made to head back to the put-in via Popponessett Bay which we did. Steven and I silently challenged each other to a race but my arms were no match to his flukes and I eventually conceded. We watched a Sunfish enjoying the strength of the wind, riding almost on edge for a short time before finally letting out the sail to avoiding capsizing.

Back at the put-in we made quick work of shuttling the cars and packing up the gear so that we could get to the real reason we paddle....the Post Paddle Refreshment or PPR. Generally we bring the requirements for PPR with us to enjoy in the parking lot after the paddle (its what gets some of us through that last leg of the trip) and there's usually enough to go around for those who are without. As usual the ribbing ensued as the refreshments were consumed but as it is often said; all good thing must come to an end. We made our way back North towards a duller life but with thoughts of our next adventure to keep us going (just as soon as the pain leaves my shoulder).

A great paddle as always with you guys but next time we'll have to make it around that damn island. Looking forward to our next adventure.

<center>Image</center>

Trip duration: 3:36
Length: 8.8 mi
Avg speed: 3.2 mpg
Top speed: 7.3 mpg
Calories burned: 342,500
Last edited by Birdseye on Tue May 13, 2008 12:38 pm, edited 7 times in total.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Great report, Nelson. Although, I'd like to see your math for "calories burned" :)
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

get'n-outside wrote:Great report, Nelson. Although, I'd like to see your math for "calories burned" :)

That was Pat's math (transcribed). If you were one of the unfortunate people that read the trip report about 15 minutes ago you'd know that English was my problem.

Sorry about the typos guys.
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

I'm always disappointed how pictures and videos never seem to capture the true conditions. Anyway, here's a video.

http://sdrimages.smugmug.com/gallery/1689950/1/83634166/Medium
Todd

Post by Todd »

Nice report Nelson. Steve, part of the calories burned was the good, uprocessed food that was fueling our bodies and the mention of the PPR that Birdseye referred to in his report.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

I wouldn't have questioned "Calories Consumed". But, one needs to fill up to imitate a breaching whale. BTW, sorry for the face-full of water John :)
Last edited by getnoutside on Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Quote of the day by Johnnysmoke: "It's a twist-off, dude."
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

pat wrote:Quote of the day by Johnnysmoke: "It's a twist-off, dude."

I thought about adding that story after I was already finished with the report but since I already gave myself crap about not finding the put-in I figured why add insult to injury :)
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Here are my pics.

http://sdrimages.smugmug.com/gallery/1702187

I was going to omit the one of John to protect him from certain harassment (you'll know it when you see it). But, then I figured, with this group, being harassed is a right of passage and should be considered an honor :D

P.S. Feel free to order pics, but that is not my intent for putting the images on this site (it's just that I have unlimited space here). The price per print (at least in this section) is the vendors. I'm not trying to make $$$ off you guys, I swear. In fact, I've made it so anyone can download the originals.

Steven
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Added my few pics above along with a little humor (and I mean "little")
Todd

Post by Todd »

Half of the fun on any paddle with you guys is the paddle itself. The other half is reading the reports, looking at the pics, and laughing at ourselves for the rest of the week. Nice job Birdseye and get-n outside. I enjoyed it.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Chip

Post by Chip »

Nice report Nelson. Good day all around. I have no idea what I was doing in that picture. I don't remember it being taken. At least John bailed me out for most embarrassing picture. :lol:
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Chip

Post by Chip »

pat wrote:Quote of the day by Johnnysmoke: "It's a twist-off, dude."

That's the quote of the season so far. :D
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

get'n-outside wrote:Here are my pics.

http://sdrimages.smugmug.com/gallery/1702187

I was going to omit the one of John to protect him from certain harassment (you'll know it when you see it). But, then I figured, with this group, being harassed is a right of passage and should be considered an honor :D

P.S. Feel free to order pics, but that is not my intent for putting the images on this site (it's just that I have unlimited space here). The price per print (at least in this section) is the vendors. I'm not trying to make $$$ off you guys, I swear. In fact, I've made it so anyone can download the originals.

Steven

These are great pics Steve (as usual). They are crystal clear. Did you use the automatic setting on all of those??

I think I need a new camera. :?
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Chip wrote:Nice report Nelson. Good day all around. I have no idea what I was doing in that picture. I don't remember it being taken. At least John bailed me out for most embarrassing picture. :lol:

You were doing your version of "running in slow motion". Maybe it was the wind that made you want to do it but all I could see was the "Six thousand dollar man" :lol:
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Todd wrote:Half of the fun on any paddle with you guys is the paddle itself. The other half is reading the reports, looking at the pics, and laughing at ourselves for the rest of the week. Nice job Birdseye and get-n outside. I enjoyed it.

I'd put 86% on PPR, but that's me...
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Birdseye wrote:
These are great pics Steve (as usual). They are crystal clear. Did you use the automatic setting on all of those??

I think I need a new camera. :?

Thanks. Can you see me trying to fiddle around with the manual settings using that bulky waterproof housing while being tossed around in my yak? No, these were all with the auto settings. However, I did some post-processing with Photoshop to sharpen things up. With the housing, everything comes out of the camera dull and soft.
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

I put a little extra effort into post-processing this one. Wanted to make sure I captured the moment :D

Chip

Post by Chip »

Birdseye wrote:
Chip wrote:Nice report Nelson. Good day all around. I have no idea what I was doing in that picture. I don't remember it being taken. At least John bailed me out for most embarrassing picture. :lol:

You were doing your version of "running in slow motion". Maybe it was the wind that made you want to do it but all I could see was the "Six thousand dollar man" :lol:

I remember that. Looks more like Bad Ballet. :D
Todd

Post by Todd »

I know what John was doing at that moment. He was getting ready to cup his hand and warn the guys up front to watch out for the rogue waves coming at their beam. He was looking out for everyone as a good companion paddler should. Good job John, and thanks!!
Carolina Perception 14.5
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Chip wrote:I remember that. Looks more like Bad Ballet. :D

Yeah, I saw that too but couldn't come up with anything at the time.

Maybe MADman Butterfly!
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

get'n-outside wrote:I put a little extra effort into post-processing this one. Wanted to make sure I captured the moment :D

"Image Removed"

Hey Steve... don't forget... what's goes around comes around and I've seen him open a beer bottle with his bare hands :lol:
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Hey Steve... don't forget... what's goes around comes around and I've seen him open a beer bottle with his bare hands

those twist-offs can be a bugger, huh Nelson?
Chip

Post by Chip »

Steven,
Did you just add the bird crapping on your sig pic? I don't recall him shatting on your boat. :)
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Chip wrote:Steven,
Did you just add the bird crapping on your sig pic? I don't recall him shatting on your boat. :)

Last week.... I think.

Idle minds do stupid things
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

get'n-outside wrote:I put a little extra effort into post-processing this one. Wanted to make sure I captured the moment :D

I'm going to have to get a copy of that and put it on the fridge... :D
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Johnysmoke wrote:

I'm going to have to get a copy of that and put it on the fridge... :D

I didn't even realize it until I uploaded the image to my PC.
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Nothing much new in this report.

http://www.get-outside.com/osterville.htm