Back River to Webb St Park - Solo

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

Chip

Back River to Webb St Park - Solo

Post by Chip »

I was up in Weymouth last night so my son could attend his band practice for the Satuit Concert band. My wife and daughter were staying at our place in Plymouth.

On the way home from work, I was thinking about hitting Whitmans Pond for a quick paddle. Then I thought about checking out Abigail Adams park for a river or Harbor paddle. I knew low tide was just after 7pm so it would be a crap shoot as to launchability. As it turned out it was pretty muddy. Not as bad as Hingham but bad enough.

I then decided to try the Weymouth boat launch across the river. I know there is a fee but wasn't sure how kayaks fit in. There were a few people launching and returning when I got there but no one at the boat shack to ask or pay. I walked around a bit to look for a spot near the ramp to put in to avoid the power boaters. At a normal tide, there is a nice spot next to the ramp to launch but it was too muddy at this time. I waited for a opening and carried my boat down the ramp and launched quickly to get out of the way. It was a nice night for a paddle. I have never paddled alone in anything other than a pond. It was nice to set my own pace and go wherever the wind would take me.

I headed out towards the islands and I would decide where to go once I got there. There was an offshore breeze once I hit the Harbor area so I had an easy time of it on the way out. I chose to paddle around Webb State Park since I haven't done that before. I hugged the shoreline riding some small bouncing boat wake on the way. I rounded the tip of the peninsula and decided to head back. I didn't have a watch with me and the sun was starting to set. I didn't want to get caught in the dark without a light. I left my drybag in Plymouth. All I had was a glowstick in my pfd.

As I came back around the tip of Webb I saw a commuter boat hauling it back to Boston. It was really cruising in the no wake zone between Webb and Slate Island. I could see that I was going to have a nice ride from it's wake so I reattached the front of my skirt, took a drink and started paddling towards the waves.

At low tide the beach area at Webb is is very shallow and extends out a bit. As I was paddling towards the wake I could see it getting bigger and bigger as it headed towards the beach. Then about 50 yards up the beach, 4ft waves were breaking on the beach. I immediately turned into the wave and paddled like hell to hit the wave before it broke. I was able to ride over 2 big waves then they subsided a bit. What a rush! That was the biggest water I have been on.

The rest of the paddle was uneventful. The boat ramp was crowded when I got back and I didn't want to wait for and opening so I landed on what looked like a rocky beach. As soon as I stepped out I sunk in six inches. I dragged my boat to the edge of the ramp and lifted onto the walkway on the side of the ramp. I cleaned the mud off of my legs and paddle and was on my way. I was only out for a about an hour and a half but it was a nice paddle.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Nice report Chip and a good way to get some alone time.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Todd

Post by Todd »

Ditto what Birdseye said. Just getting the urge and being able to go, feeling confident in your self and looking for a little excitement, letting the wind blow through you hair,,,,,,, well Chip you know what I mean.

Nice going Chip.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
chpaton

Post by chpaton »

Chip:

Sounds like a fine time.

I don't think any of the Boston Harbor commuter boats pay much attention to the "no wake" zones. The Harbor Express cat out of the old Fore River Shipyard cranks it up right after they go under the bridge on the way out and don't shut it down until they're about 200 yards out from the bridge coming in!
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

chpaton wrote:Chip:

Sounds like a fine time.

I don't think any of the Boston Harbor commuter boats pay much attention to the "no wake" zones. The Harbor Express cat out of the old Fore River Shipyard cranks it up right after they go under the bridge on the way out and don't shut it down until they're about 200 yards out from the bridge coming in!

Au contraire...at least in Hingham! They creep into and out of Hewitts Cove. Adds ten minutes to the trip.
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!