Humarock "Circumnavigation" 10-8

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

Mark

Humarock "Circumnavigation" 10-8

Post by Mark »

Adam, me and a few friends from the North Shore launched into the South River yesterday from my house at high tide and headed down to New Inlet. After a lunch break on the Sand Spit, four of us donned helmets and headed out to surf the river mouth on the outgoing tide. There were 3-4 foot breakers rolling in from the previous days' east winds, so there was plenty of lumpy water to mess around in.

All four of us had at least one swim. Yes, I swam, but only because I lost my paddle, ripped out of my hands by a huge breaking wave that rolled me tumbled me a few times. After I lost my paddle, I managed to roll up and keep surfing the wave paddle-less until the inevitable sideways broach. With nothing to brace into the wave with, I was dumped again and had no choice but to wet exit. I then had to try to find my paddle and swim the water-filled boat back out to retrieve it. None of the rest of the group saw any of this, as I was hidden by the swells and breaking waves, so I was on my own. Finally reached my paddle, set up for a re-enter and roll, only to get hit by several more breaking waves that nearly tore the boat from my grasp, lifting it over my head a couple times. Finally got a three-second window between waves to do the re-enter and roll and limped into shore to dump out.

Later we headed south down the outside of Humarock and back to my beach just north of Rexhame, landing at sunset. Two of us dumped in the shore break while landing. A fun and challenging afternoon of South Shore paddling!
chpaton

Cowabunga!

Post by chpaton »

Sounds pretty intense! Were you using surf/play boats or longer craft?
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
Mark

Post by Mark »

Craig - We were all in 17-18 foot sea kayaks. Not my preferred surf-machine, but good practice nonetheless.

Mark
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi Mark.

About a week ago (Sunday Oct 1) I saw about 6 kayakers out in the mouth of the river, in the same spot you describe. They were having a lot of fun, and it looked like they were doing some skill/rescue drills or something........Not a safe place to paddle unless you are ready for a swim.

Sounds like you had a great time.

NorwayLady
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
Mark

Post by Mark »

Bea: Charles River Canoe and Kayak runs a surf class out there from time to time. You probably saw one of their groups.

Indeed it is not a safe place to paddle without requisite skills and skilled partners (who look after each other :evil: ) Several boaters have drowned there over the years.

Mark
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Sounds like a good time. I'd like to go check out the waves out there, but am not sure I'm quite ready yet...
Mark

Post by Mark »

Smoke - Sure ya are! Just make sure whoever you go with is too. Maybe we can put another trip together on the next full moon weekend.

Mark