Morning paddle on Assonet Bay and River

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

Lance

Morning paddle on Assonet Bay and River

Post by Lance »

A mere few days after signing up on this website I got an email from Linda, who lives just one town over and had seen my new ID go up on the site. As many of you no doubt know, Linda picked up kayaking not too long ago, but she has a passion for it already that would be tough to match even among the most inveterate enthusiasts. She told me that she had planned a week off from work and was going to find as many paddling opportunities as she could, and would I be interested in planning an outing with her, seeing as I lived so close by.

Well, sure.

I tried to temper her expectations. My wife Kath and I are truly newcomers to the sport. We took a set of intro lessons in August with Charles River Canoe and Kayak. That was something of a lark, but we weren't in the boats for more than a few minutes before we realized the potential for fun in this sport. We'd done a fair amount of paddling in our Old Town canoe, and if nothing else the prospect of lifting about 25 pounds less boat onto the roof of the car was attractive. We started to think about getting a few kayaks. What sealed the deal was a day hike up Willard Mt. in NH, normally a very short and incredibly easy hike, especially with no more weight on me than a turkey sandwich and bottle of water. However, these 55 year old, thrice operated upon knees told me on the way down that our days of backpacking were over.

I suggested to Kath that we ought to put our camping gear up for sale on Ebay, and she said "Well, we could float from tentsite to tentsite."

A few weeks later we were at the CRCK year end sale buying two Wilderness System Tempests. The camping gear will be not be sold.

Anyway, back to the trip. Linda was properly alerted to the fact that we are very new paddlers, although we had had some experience with paddling on salt water in and around Hingham Harbor and Scituate. No problem...she would enjoy the company. I suggested Assonet Bay because it is close to our homes, and it always looks so lovely from the Rte 24 bridge that crosses it. We picked this past Friday and kept our fingers crossed. Thankfully, the weather that was supposed to hit us then came in on Saturday. I'm sure you all marveled at the strength of that storm, as we did. Friday couldn't have been more different.

Crisp fall air, a cloudless sky, and not even a hint of a breeze. Lovely. We chose a little park on Water Street just a mile or so off of Exit 10 of Rte 24 for our put in. We were welcomed there by a local resident walking her Pug-like ("but not a Pug") dog, who snubbed me ("She doesn't like men so much") to greet the two ladies with just a bit more enthusiasm. I'm a photographer who specializes in pet photography, so I took it as both a personal and a professional insult! The woman told us we would likely scare up a resident blue heron. Hmmm... do the local herons also exhibit such shamless sexist attitudes? Would it be my maleness which would scare the bejeepers out of them?

As the three of us glided away from the boat launch, Linda commented "It's like glass." And it was. Just a few hours before high tide, an absent any wind, the water had a beautiful shimmering sheen to it. It almost seemed a sin to disturb it even with even a single paddle catch. The reeds along the shore of the Assonet River were ablaze in the fall sun, showing off what fall color they had to offer. There was no on else on the river, so it was very quiet and peaceful as we started our morning paddle.

Under the Rte 24 bridge and out into Assonet Bay. Some lovely homes grace the shoreline on the north side, and some unusual landscaping dotted by native junipers. We paddled across the north end of the bay, venturing into a small inlet that began to lose width after a half mile or so. The wind picked up a little bit at this point, and Linda commented that she actually likes paddling into a headwind because it makes her feel like she is paddling faster. That's the attitude!

Back into the bay and paddling south, we forced a pair of herons to surrender one fishing location after another before they finally smartened up and backtracked. Lovely, graceful birds, but why do they always seem to need at least three interruptions before they smarten up and head back to where they were originally?

Even in the open bay there was little motion in the water to contend with. I suspect Linda found this more disappointing than she let on, but Kath and I were content to have a morning of relatively little challenge to continue to get used to our boats and basic kayak paddling strokes. We headed south, passing ever larger homes (read: mansions) to the east, and a few gigantic pleasure craft moored nearby. Still, no one else out on the water. Finally as we came to the confluence with the Taunton River we passed a single fisherman out on a boat casting his line into the water.

Up the Taunton a short ways we ducked into a small bay to the west, and tried to figure out why the current was behaving as it did. Lots of guesses, probably no correct ones. We could see a marina up to the north, and as it turned out this was the marina directly across the river from Dighton Rock State park, a place Kath and I had used as a departure for an upriver canoe paddle a few years back.

Returning up the Assonet we were passed by a few motorized craft. Both people were very careful to reduce their speeds and even asked us whether the wake they were leaving was OK with us. They didn't understand when Linda and I asked them to pick up the pace to give us something to deal with other than flatwater. Just a smile and a nod and a coffee mug raised to us in response.

Here we say three red-taild hawks doing some lazy circles over the river, and the usual other suspects...cormorants, geese, gulls...a swan? As we approached the Rte 24 bridge a goose made a dramatic takeoff right across our bows. Some day I suppose I will be confident enough to bring my camera gear aboard, but for now the fear of watching it take a fatal and expensive plunge into the briny keeps me shaking my head, for now, for the lost opportunity of a great photo. Still...it was quite a sight that impressed all three of us.

Kath and Linda explored an inlet to the south while I did a little practicing near the bridges, and to be truthful, a little laying back on the the deck of the boat to gratefully accept some of the last warm sunlight we might get for some time. When we rejoined, we continued up the Assonet River and were rewared with closeup views of two absolutely lovely, beautifully crafted stone arched bridges, and the spill over a dam that holds back the Assonet in "downtown" Freetown.

Back to the cars.

It was a stunning morning spent in a peaceful, beautiful location. No technical challenges at all, but with few warm days left this year to enjoy, it was a pleasure to spend a morning dry and warm.

Thanks for looking us up, Linda! It was a fun morning and we're looking forward to our next trip. Hope we didn't slow you up too much.

And thanks for this website. We're looking forward to increasing our skills so that we can enjoy the sport with more new friends.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Lance, Great report! A number of the Turkeys have the Tempast, and Norway Lady tells me that she loves it. I have been with Norway Lady on water "with texture" and wind, and she says there is no weather cocking. I believe it is due to the small keel she has running the length of her yak. Good choice.

And good thing that you didn't sell your camping gear. There are a number of Turkeys who camp, paddle and camp, or just paddle. A group of Turkeys recently finished a week long kayaking/camping trip in Maine. Read their trip report and start getting ready for next year.

I sense that you felt that Linda was looking for more action. She probably was. Us veterans (I'm a two and a half-year old-timer) like to test ourselves with wind, waves, currents; but we all still enjoy just getting out. I live near the North River and days on it are relaxing, peaceful and beautiful. I can paddle as hard as I want and get a good workout, or just play with the current and practice bracing.

I have a camera that I take. Actually, this is now my second camera. I think I got the first one wet. I'll be more protective of the second. But take a look at some of our photos. We have a few good photographers in the bunch, some have sold pictures to the Globe. Get yourself a dry bag, or a water resistant case for your camera, and when your ready, show the world what you got.

Two of our members work at REI in Hingham. You can always drop in and get good advice. Or throw questions out to this forum.

Sounds if Friday was the day to be out. It still had the leaves and the sun. I'm already looking forward to next year.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
Chip

Post by Chip »

Nice report. Sounds like a great day on the water.

Just as an fyi. Todd was talking about the Tsunami, not Tempest. :wink:
I am currently looking into getting a new boat and the Tempest 170 is on the top of my list.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Lance,

I enjoyed your report. Welcome to the group.

Which Tempest do you have, poly or glass??

Chip... I think you should definitely go for the Tempest!
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Todd

Post by Todd »

Thanks Chip and Nelson. I reread Lance's report and it was the Tempest that they bought. Good selection Lance.I'm looking at those also, Jordan looked rather comfortable in his and research is pointing in that direction for me.
Last edited by Todd on Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Lance

Tempests

Post by Lance »

Kath and I both got poly Tempests - me a 17 footer because it is more high volume than the 16 footer, and better accomodates my "high volume" thighs. Kath got the 16 footer. Both caught our interest because of the terrific seating systems Wilderness puts into those boats. Both of us have a really great fit and we love it.

The only complaint I have to date is one that you run across frequently on the web - the hatch covers are not terribly tight. Short of replacing them, which is an option, I'd be grateful for any suggestions that anyone might have. I was jealous of Linda's boat that respect - after a morning in the sun the heated air in her hatches caused the covers to bluge outward as the air expanded.

But that's it. We're loving these boats.

As for the matter of more challenging water, that will come. We recently signed up for a day outing with Charles River Kayak. The trip was an introduction to ocean kayaking. Dave, our guide and I believe a co-owner of CRCK (you couldn't possibly meet a nicer guy) took five of us to Cohasset Harbor. We started in the Harbor and paddled around to Little Harbor. Dave had chosen the date so that we would be able to take best advantage of the timing of the tides. We were able to practice dealing with a pretty good tidal current coming in and then going out. And after that we played a bit with some standing waves.

Six people, and there were three wet exits. All mine! I just couldn't get my pea brain to accept the premise that you lean away from a strong current. Of well, perhaps if it's soaked sufficiently some infomration will get into it, eh?

Anyway, that was great fun, and we're looking forward to improving our skills under increasingly challenging circumstances on salt water. That said, we still enjoy a peaceful paddle on rivers and lakes.

It's all terrific, isn't it?

Looking forward to meeting you all at one time or another.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Lance, Cohasset Harbor is always fun, and the entrance to Little Harbor can be very exciting. You'll discover that tide timing is always important, dependent upon where and when you go. Next summer you'll be brushing your teeth, shaving and asking Kath when high tide is for the day. As you can see, entering and exiting Little Harbor takes some timing. As for wet exits, planned or otherwise, my first trip out was with EMS in Hingham Harbor. Our instructor had us practice intentional wet exits in shallow water before we headed out. I then proceeded to practice an unintentional wet exit in the Harbor, but at least I got to perform an assisted rescue afterwards. So, in your case, you are well ahead of the curve.
Carolina Perception 14.5
kayakerjnj

Hatches

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi Lance,

Welcome to you both. I have a WS TEmpest 170 Poly as well. So far I have been extremely lucky with my 2003 Boat, and my hatches have performed superbly. I am wondering whether or not you boat came with the circumferential bungies that go around each hatch cover? I use them on mine and I'm certain they do provide some extra margin for sealing. I also generously use a good UV protectant and maintain the flexibility in the rubber which also seems to help a great deal.

Try a little 303 or Armor All, and the bungies. It should do the trick.

Hope to see the WS Fleet on the water :)

Cheers,
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
Lance

Post by Lance »

Jordan,

Thanks for the tips. I'll try them all. I do suspect, though, that the hatch covers themselves may have lost some of their pliancy. They're pretty easy to snap to the lip the the hatches. But before buying new ones I'll try the suggestions you've made, since they're cheaper and make sense for ongoing maintenance, anyway.
Linda

My Pleasure!

Post by Linda »

Thank you, Lance for the very descriptive write up of the trip... it was like being there all over again. And a LOVELY day it was! I am so glad you joined the group and I look forward to paddling with you, both, again!
Chip

Post by Chip »

Hey Jordan,
How has the Tempest handled in windy conditions?
chpaton

Tempest Volume & Stability

Post by chpaton »

Anybody have any suggestions related to choosing a Tempest 170 over a 165? Based on the specs the 165 seems appropriate for paddlers under 210# and shorter than 6'2 but specs can be misleading and I've never sat in or paddled either one.

Any thoughts on initial and secondary stability? Same for both boats, different? Comparisons to other boats paddled by Turkeys would be helpful.
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
Chip

Post by Chip »

Craig,
From what I have read, the T165 is more playful than the T170. It has been compared somewhat to the Avocet and Pintail. The prime weight is closer to 185 range. You really lose the performance if you put too much weight in it. The T170 is a great all-rounder. Isn't the best at anything but good at many things. Check the PNET archives. FLatpick designed both boats and there is a lot of chatter about both.
I have not paddled either so hopefully you will get some better hands on analysis. :D
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi Gang,

My Tempest seems to do most things very well. I have no complaints in wind. All boats weather cock somewhat but adjusting the skeg seems to nearly nullify any issues. I've paddled in 25-30 mpg winds and have had no issues.

As far as the 170 versus 165, I actually wanted the smaller boat. However I found I did not have the knee height and space even though I'm only 5'7". My friend Lori has a 165 (twin to mine), I've paddled and rolled her boat on a few occassions. The 170 is the only way to go unless you're a petite flower :lol:

Have a great weekend.

Jordan
Lance

Post by Lance »

I'll echo Jordan's comments on the Tempest 170 vs. 165 as far as space goes. My wife has a 165. I have the 170. There is no way I could be comfortable in the 170. There is not enough room for my thighs (I'm 6' 2" and 205 pounds). The 170 is higher volume, so the fit is much better for a larger person. In fact, if I were just a bit taller even the 170 would be problematic, becaause I've found that with the (wonderful, wonderful, wonderful) seating system adjusted so that the seat is as far back in the cockpit as it can be, I have just enough room for the length of my legs. Any taller, and I think the pegs would have to be remounted further foreward.

My wife is several inches shorter, and the 165 is a perfect fit for her. She loves it.

Also, as to the wind effect...it does exist to some degree, but since the boat is less rockered than many other models I would guess it is somewhat minimized. The skeg does a fine job handling the wind effect, at least in my limited experience with the boat.
chpaton

I don't get it.

Post by chpaton »

I'm still having difficulty buying into this. The dimensions of my Hurricane Tracer are very similar to the Tempest 165 and at 6'1' and 190+ I don't feel "too big" for the boat. It's a bit to get in one leg at a time but I figure that's me, not the boat as the cockpit is 33" long. There is more than enough leg & thigh room once I get in. If anything the fore bulkhead in the Tracer is too far forward - maybe the bulkhead in the Tempest 165 is far enough aft to limit leg room?

The Tempest 170 just seems big to me. Maybe it's because I'm used to lower volume boats and I lack any desire to do overnighting that puts me off on its size. I guess I'll just have to try one and see!
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
Lance

Post by Lance »

chpaton -

Reread my last post, and I mistyped 170 for 165 when talking about how the fit was inadequate for me. Sorry. But for whatever reasons, I felt the 165 was too confining for me and the 170 was not. That said, even the 170 is just barely long enough for my legs - when using the foot pegs - at their setting closest to the fore blukhead. I can stretch my legs out beyond them, of course, but I did have to move my seat all the way back in order for my legs and feet to be comfortable when using the pegs.

Hey, what can I tell you? Maybe my legs are longer than most at 6' 2"? I don't know. "Fit" is a personal matter, I suppose. That's why, and I agree with you 100%, it's important to try out any boat before buying.

But I will repeat this about the WS 170 AND 165 - the seating system they put into thoe boats, owing to its suspension system, its adjustability (particularly for thigh support) and the confort of the seat base, is really superior to that of any other boats we looked into in that price range.

Good luck in your search!